gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:45:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Al show in CA this Saturday - Special Ticket Offer  (Read 18383 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »

If you follow this link you can save some money on tickets for Brian's upcoming concert this Saturday in Paso Robles CA.The venue knocked off a few bucks for our Smiley Smile friends.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/09004D12DF834A73?did=offer
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:27:07 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:19:09 PM »

cool.  Thanks, Jon. BTW, you are all probably aware no Matt Jardine for this or the other upcoming shows

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 04:25:28 PM »

That's a lot of available seats.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »

cool.  Thanks, Jon. BTW, you are all probably aware no Matt Jardine for this or the other upcoming shows

Anyone privy to why no Matt Jardine? I'm less bummed about specifically him not being in the band, and more about there being an able falsetto guy available.

Can Jeff Foskett fill in?  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »

cool.  Thanks, Jon. BTW, you are all probably aware no Matt Jardine for this or the other upcoming shows

Anyone privy to why no Matt Jardine? I'm less bummed about specifically him not being in the band, and more about there being an able falsetto guy available.

Can Jeff Foskett fill in?  LOL

Matt stated on his facebook page that he was taking time off to be with his family. Some guy from the Four Freshmen (who looks to be about 30 years old) is appearing with Brian and Al this Saturday.  I presume he is Mr. Falsetto...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:01:47 PM by southbay » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 05:14:35 PM »

cool.  Thanks, Jon. BTW, you are all probably aware no Matt Jardine for this or the other upcoming shows

Can Jeff Foskett fill in?  LOL

Matt stated on his facebook page that he was taking time off to be with his family. Some guy from the Four Freshmen (who looks to be about 30 years old) is appearing with Brian and Al this Saturday.  I presume he is Mr. Falsetto...

Considering how Matt, to my knowledge, has not been rigorously touring to the degree that would cause a need for a break, I wish him well and hope it's nothing too serious keeping him from the road.

I also hope that if/when Brian does a longer tour, they can still get Matt out there with him.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »

Matt stated on his facebook page that he was taking time off to be with his family. Some guy from the Four Freshmen (who looks to be about 30 years old) is appearing with Brian and Al this Saturday.  I presume he is Mr. Falsetto...

Considering how Matt, to my knowledge, has not been rigorously touring to the degree that would cause a need for a break, I wish him well and hope it's nothing too serious keeping him from the road.

I also hope that if/when Brian does a longer tour, they can still get Matt out there with him.

Seconded on all accounts

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:20:20 PM »

Matt stated on his facebook page that he was taking time off to be with his family. Some guy from the Four Freshmen (who looks to be about 30 years old) is appearing with Brian and Al this Saturday.  I presume he is Mr. Falsetto...

Seconded on all accounts

I agree. I believe he also had a kid born sometime last year, so it's good for him to spend more time with them.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 10:35:01 AM »

Wow!! There's a lot of seats left!! And good ones!!

But........76 bucks a pop (x 2 because I wouldn't want to go alone) so that's 152 bucks plus tax plus service charge plus parking plus souvenir and/or food plus gas getting there. Easily over a $250.00 jaunt to Central Cali to see Brian and Al play a couple sets of Beach Boys greatest hits. And no Matt Jardine. And.......I get a free pic-in-ic basket and a blanket for my trouble.

BUT. If Stebbins could provide me with a back stage pass, it would make it all worthwhile and I'd change my mind in a heartbeat.......  Grin

By the way, it was just announced that Brian will be performing at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit, October 25-26 at the Shoreline Amphitheatre at Mountain View CA.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:01:31 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:39:03 AM »

Wow!! There's a lot of seats left!! And good ones!!

But........76 bucks a pop (x 2 because I wouldn't want to go alone) so that's 152 bucks plus tax plus service charge plus parking plus souvenir and/or food plus gas getting there. Easily over a $250.00 jaunt to Central Cali to see Brian and Al play a couple sets of Beach Boys greatest hits. Plus.......I get a free pic-in-ic basket and a blanket for my trouble.

BUT. If Stebbins could provide me with a back stage pass, it would make it all worthwhile.......

By the way, it was just announced that Brian will be performing at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit, October 25-26 at the Shoreline Amphitheatre at Mountain View CA.

Mikie, you could do what I used to do at the movies and wear a large jacket stuffed full of various snacks to avoid paying 7 bucks for a box of Sno-Caps. Or, make sure the date carries a large purse to hold the drinks. Souvenirs? Optional.  LOL

Seriously though, I saw that Bridge School announcement too, very cool. That's been a very good gig in general in the past.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »

Oh yeah, you gotta eat before going in - no doubt. Only thing I'd consider buying at the expensive concessions is a beer. And souvenirs are optional of course - unless they're very limited in quantity - like the autographed 2012 C50 tour program. But I wouldn't expect anything like that at the venue.

It all adds up, Craig. Not sure if it's worth it. Still weighing it, but for another greatest hits show, I'm now leaning towards the negative.

And Matt. This show and the ones in Southern Cali and Fresno are a hop, skip, and a jump from where he lives. A couple hours of his time and bring the family......not gonna question that but hope there's no other reasons for him not being there. His falsettos will be missed, I'm sure.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 01:31:50 PM »

Despite Mikie's financial concern...if you use the link above General Admission is only 35 bucks, that is if you don't mind sitting on the lawn...just bring a blanket. The venue is very intimate so you'll still enjoy the show from there.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »

Despite Mikie's financial concern...if you use the link above General Admission is only 35 bucks, that is if you don't mind sitting on the lawn...just bring a blanket. The venue is very intimate so you'll still enjoy the show from there.

Yeah, but it's only intimate if you're with a significant other under the blanket.   Tongue

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »

Yeah, but it's only intimate if you're with a significant other under the blanket.   Tongue

Guess you're lucky, then,  when you go by yourself you can be alone together under your blankie...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »

I never go alone to concerts, Bgas.  I always take a lady with me.  How 'bout you?  Oh yeah, you spend all your money on Beach Boys records.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »

I never go alone to concerts, Bgas.  I always take a lady with me.  How 'bout you?  Oh yeah, you spend all your money on Beach Boys records.

Nah, not ALL of it. I give 10% to the Church of the Harmonic Overdub, 35% to the mortgage and taxes, 27% for food and other similar semi-important stuff. Alot ( maybe most) of the rest gets spent on BBs records, tapes, posters, programs, etc....

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »

Nah, not ALL of it. I give 10% to the Church of the Harmonic Overdub, 35% to the mortgage and taxes, 27% for food and other similar semi-important stuff. Alot ( maybe most) of the rest gets spent on BBs records, tapes, posters, programs, etc....

I dunno where your 10% is going, but the Church of the Harmonic Overdub ceased to exist when Reverend Bob Hanes passed away on July 5, 2010.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 04:01:11 PM »

I dunno where your 10% is going, but the Church of the Harmonic Overdub ceased to exist when Reverend Bob Hanes passed away on July 5, 2010.

O Ye of little faith....

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 06:40:31 PM »

Looking forward to hearing reports on how attendees feel about the addition of Brian Eichenberger, from the current 4 Freshmen, on vocals.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 07:00:54 PM »

Looking forward to hearing reports on how attendees feel about the addition of Brian Eichenberger, from the current 4 Freshmen, on vocals.

It's funny. Brian W. mimics the Four Freshmen falsetto and Brian E. mimics Brian W's falsetto!

Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »

Looks like they've altered the stage set-up a bit: https://twitter.com/francophile00/status/516071323748282368/photo/1
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 12:58:48 AM »

I just got back from the show and I was highly entertained. Brian Wilson is carrying a much bigger load, more leads, more emcee style chatter, he was very animated and seemed to be having fun. The performance was a little looser than Im used to with Brian's band, maybe under-rehearsed, not as polished as usual, but really energetic, and the places they nailed it really blew the audience away. Heroes and Villains was stunning. The new Brian did great. His lead on Don't Worry Baby was admirable. Overall the vocals were not as seamless as when Jeff is filling in and around Brian, but that just made the show more interesting because BW's safety net was not really there, and he survived and even thrived in his own way. I was fascinated by the experience. Al was very up front singing lead on quite a few tunes like Hawaii, which surprised me, Little Deuce Coupe and the usual Al leads as well. There was one point where they were ready to start Sloop John B, and it seems like Brian and Al weren't sure which guy was going to start the vocals...they were kind of pointing back and forth at each other like "you take it...no you take it' and it really cracked Al up, he was laughing so hard, nearly losing it...and Brian took it. Not any rarities in the set, but was surprised that All Summer Long led off the encore mini-set. The audience was so happy throughout the show, with tons of people dancing and pushing up towards the stage. Just great positive energy flowing back and forth between band and audience, and Brian was really in the mix, both vocally and socially. Overall a somewhat raw, loose, but VERY fun show...with great contributions from all of the BW band, and standout moments from Brian and Al.

Major thanks to Darian, Nelson and Vina Robles maestro John Mackey for taking care of my family tonight. Darian and Nelson arranged a cool get together for me with Brian before the show that I'll never forget. And hearing Dave and the Marksmen I Wanna Cry blasting on the house system just prior to BW taking the stage was another special touch that I know was Darian inspired. My 13 year old daughter just came up to me while I'm writing this, and with a giant smile she said "I loved Brian's show dad, it was so much fun!" I guess that says it all.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 01:01:58 AM »

Looks like they've altered the stage set-up a bit: https://twitter.com/francophile00/status/516071323748282368/photo/1

Is that Brian E in the back row, behind Scott?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 09:10:06 AM »

I just got back from the show and I was highly entertained. Brian Wilson is carrying a much bigger load, more leads, more emcee style chatter, he was very animated and seemed to be having fun. The performance was a little looser than Im used to with Brian's band, maybe under-rehearsed, not as polished as usual, but really energetic, and the places they nailed it really blew the audience away. Heroes and Villains was stunning. The new Brian did great. His lead on Don't Worry Baby was admirable. Overall the vocals were not as seamless as when Jeff is filling in and around Brian, but that just made the show more interesting because BW's safety net was not really there, and he survived and even thrived in his own way. I was fascinated by the experience. Al was very up front singing lead on quite a few tunes like Hawaii, which surprised me, Little Deuce Coupe and the usual Al leads as well. There was one point where they were ready to start Sloop John B, and it seems like Brian and Al weren't sure which guy was going to start the vocals...they were kind of pointing back and forth at each other like "you take it...no you take it' and it really cracked Al up, he was laughing so hard, nearly losing it...and Brian took it. Not any rarities in the set, but was surprised that All Summer Long led off the encore mini-set. The audience was so happy throughout the show, with tons of people dancing and pushing up towards the stage. Just great positive energy flowing back and forth between band and audience, and Brian was really in the mix, both vocally and socially. Overall a somewhat raw, loose, but VERY fun show...with great contributions from all of the BW band, and standout moments from Brian and Al.

Major thanks to Darian, Nelson and Vina Robles maestro John Mackey for taking care of my family tonight. Darian and Nelson arranged a cool get together for me with Brian before the show that I'll never forget. And hearing Dave and the Marksmen I Wanna Cry blasting on the house system just prior to BW taking the stage was another special touch that I know was Darian inspired. My 13 year old daughter just came up to me while I'm writing this, and with a giant smile she said "I loved Brian's show dad, it was so much fun!" I guess that says it all.

Thanks for an awesome report, Jon! Sounds like you had a terrific concert experience, musically and personally.

Now get these guys to the East Coast! I can't afford to travel West to see these shows.  Grin

I'm looking forward to hearing Brian Eichenberger's contributions and how he fit in with the band, after hearing him with the Four Freshmen I was *very* impressed with the musicianship and the quality of his (and their) voices on those difficult charts.

Did he do "Surfer Girl" with the band last night? I heard the Freshmen do that song and it was pretty damn good! Wondering how it sounded with Al and Brian in the blend, if they did it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »

Thanks for an awesome report, Jon! Sounds like you had a terrific concert experience, musically and personally.

Now get these guys to the East Coast! I can't afford to travel West to see these shows.  Grin

I'm looking forward to hearing Brian Eichenberger's contributions and how he fit in with the band, after hearing him with the Four Freshmen I was *very* impressed with the musicianship and the quality of his (and their) voices on those difficult charts.

Did he do "Surfer Girl" with the band last night? I heard the Freshmen do that song and it was pretty damn good! Wondering how it sounded with Al and Brian in the blend, if they did it.
Yes, they did Surfer Girl, the vocal mix was a little weird for me on that one, but Brian W sounded great on the middle section. This having two Brian's in the band is a little strange because I find myself having to identify which one I'm writing about! I actually met Brian E before the show. I was right in the middle of asking Brian Wilson, kind of teasingly, "so...how is this new guy sounding Brian?"...when from behind me Brian E enters the room saying, "Hey are you guys talking about me?" He introduced himself as Brian, but then said to avoid confusion we can call him "Ike". He seemed to fit in great, handling the highest parts, no problem, but not doing any of the fill-in type of work that Jeff would do to mask Brian's drop outs. This, as i said in my previous post, gave Brian a more active role vocally, more responsibility, and despite his inconsistencies he did great. Ike looks great, handsome dude, the girls in the crowd seemed to notice...and he played acoustic guitar on quite a few songs too. They mentioned a couple of times that this was his first gig with the band. It's definitely a different band, with both BW and Al so prevalent in the vocal mix, and a different texture on top with Ike. The sound (live mix) was a bit inconsistent, it was a brisk night in Paso...but during the few accapella moments, like the closing harmony of H&V's, they also did a little acapella on Darlin, and I know several others where they drop out the instruments to showcase the harmony, the vocal blend was outstanding. I heard random people in the audience just gasping at the complexity of the vocal sound during those acapella moments. I think with some dedicated rehearsal this could be a new beginning. We'll just have to wait and see.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx