gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680847 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 02:52:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: One Do-Over  (Read 5749 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2014, 07:53:19 PM »

We often talk about this or that song (or album, or decade) being okay except for that [production, performance, etc.]. For me, songs like Love & Mercy and Lay Down Burden could have been so much better if they had been approached differently. Explanations available upon request.

So, Beach Boys or Brian Wilson or other associated Beach Boys affiliated entity: what would you give a do-over, and why/how?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:12:49 PM »

Surf's Up. Kick some of the lame songs off the album (STD, Take a Load Off.., Don't Go Near..) and add some tremendous Dennis Wilson songs, like WIBNTLA, 4OJ, Lady, etc. This album has some real gems on it already, why not make it more Sunflower-caliber?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:17:06 AM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »

If they'd released a group-led album in 1974 after the success of Endless Summer, it would've been a sure-fire hit, especially considering some of the material from that time period was a LOT better than what came with 15 Big Ones.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:57:22 PM »

Brian Wilson LP (1988)

No synthesizers, using the Wrecking Crew, and done all analog from recording to lacquer cutting.

GOD I would love to hear it that way!  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »

The Beach Boys Love You is so great, so special, so Brian. I love it; loved it from Day 1. You can't change ALL of the vocals because then it wouldn't be Love You. The 1976 vocals are part of what makes it honest. If you remove Love You from that particular period, it ceases to become Love You. That being said, and not to contradict what I just wrote, I would:

1) For the ending tag of "Roller Skating Child", which almost ruins a near perfect song, either have somebody else (Al?) sing it, or have Brian do another take or two.

2) "Good Time" - I like the song, but I still can't believe they included it; it sounds so out of place. Just hearing/realizing how Brian's voice changed takes away from the enjoyment of the song. They should've done an updated 1976 version with another lead vocalist (again Al, who had a shortage of leads on Love You), or just replace the song with another one.

3) Brian's lead vocals on "Solar System" and "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" are, in my opinion, the two worst of Brian's career. But, the songs are great and Brian should sing them. Could I ask for another take or two or three. Listen to the last three notes/words of "Let's Put Our Hearts Together". It was still there...  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:26:17 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »

Listen to the last three notes/words of "Let's Put Our Hearts Together". It was still there...   

I definitely have to agree.
I know it's a small part, but the way he sings "You and I......" at the end is so great.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:07:23 PM »

I remember reading somewhere that an early version of the title track of KTSA was a lot better. I think that the song, as is, is an unsung classic. But I really wish that the duh-duh-duh bass vocal wasn't there, and that the song had a rockier edge to it, like the live version from the Knebworth live album.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »

Get a better range of voices on Brian's solo stuff. There's a lot of excellent stuff there, but the stacked BW bvs would be better if they were the voices of, oh the BB (with Matt or Jeff). While on the subject of BW - do something about the giodawful production of BW88, Imagination and GIOMH (there are SOME good songs on the latter, after all).
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 01:44:49 AM »

Wish VDP had peeled back the prod on Orange Crate Art (song) and dished up something as compelling as the IJWMFTT doco rendition.

And for some mid-week blasphemy; I think Brian should have softened his bom-ba-bom-ba-boms in the post staccato section vocal interlude on GOK.  I prefer Mike's touch of tenderness as evidenced on Live in London.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:05:06 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 02:21:12 AM »

If I could change one thing about a Beach Boys record it would be to replace Be True To Your School on Little Deuce Coupe with the single version.

Please delete my account
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 07:31:58 AM »

I would have Brian finish Sandy back in '65 (GREAT track) and also record a BB version of Guess I'm Dumb.

Also how was Holy Man never finished?  Some soaring vocals on that and you have a beautiful song.. maybe even Dennis' finest recording.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »

3) Brian's lead vocals on "Solar System" and "Let's Put Our Hearts Together" are, in my opinion, the two worst of Brian's career. But, the songs are great and Brian should sing them. Could I ask for another take or two or three. Listen to the last three notes/words of "Let's Put Our Hearts Together". It was still there...  
I think "Solar System" would've been an awesome song for Al at that point. With Marilyn singing on "Let's Put Our Hearts Together", who cares about Brian's voice? You're not getting an all-star performance. I think it works on a personable level.

Also, I think "Hey Little Tomboy" would've been a good replacement for "Good Time". "Tomboy" fits the theme of side 1 like a glove. I still think it's an amazing song. The lyrics are weird, but man, this Love You we're talking about.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:40:38 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 07:41:46 AM »

I'd have had Mike re-write the whole of Smile.  Give it accessible lyrics, kind of how he spruced up Good Vibrations.  Then you'd have a real groundbreaking, yet accessible work.  That's the album that would have set the world alight.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 07:45:42 AM »

Cuddle Up needs a much better mix than the released version. Great song, could be so much better with an improved mix.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 08:11:50 AM »

To have finished and released the aborted 1995 album sessions with Don Was

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »

Brian should have softened his bom-ba-bom-ba-boms in the post staccato section vocal interlude on GOK. 
Speaking of, I'd like it if Brian sang the line "what I'd be" without fast-wrapping it. Accentuate every word as in the classic v-n.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »

For me, songs like Love & Mercy and Lay Down Burden could have been so much better if they had been approached differently.

I think both of those songs are just fine. Not sure what could have been done to make them better. Always thought the released Love & Mercy could have included the extra verse that he did a coupla times live back then. Would Pet Sounds have been a little better with the acapella vocal tag on "God Only Knows"? Probably. How 'bout "Hang On To Your Ego" instead of "I Know There's An Answer"? Maybe. Unreleased, alternate takes, alternate mixes, remakes, missed opportunities, etc. Would the Sunflower album have been better with some of the "Reverberation" or "Add Some Music" (or your own select tracks) in the lineup? Why was Breakaway not included on an album before 1974? Why was the extra verse on Rock & Roll Music not included on the released version? Why wasn't "Sandy" finished in 1965, or the alternate released in 1976? Was the alternate "Dance, Dance, Dance" better? How about "Don't Back Down", "Little Honda", "Amusement Parks", "Let Him Run Wild" The various Smile mixes, of which there are so many - and of course a BIG missed opportunity there. "Would "Heroes & Villains" have been a bigger hit if it were mixed better or included the "Cantina" section and "Three Score and Five" lyrics? ? Would Good Vibrations have been even better with Asher's lyrics or just one of the many instrumental outtakes included instead - even the "hum de dum" tag? Alternate "Big Sur" instead of the released version? "We're Together Again" and "San Miguel" before they made the later comps? "I've Got a Friend" finished studio cut anyone? "Carry Me Home" included on Holland? On and on I go dum de doo dah.....

Lotsa coulda woulda shoulda's. Many of them subjective, some not.  I can type 'em up all night but I'm tired.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:15:56 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »

Dennis going solo staring with a full release of Sound of Free and Lady.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »

Beach Boys: Do You Wanna Dance....the mix always sounds muddy to me and when I hear some of the outstanding SOT demos it drives me nuts because that is one of the greatest covers any band has ever done. Denny is fantastic and no matter what release I've heard it sounds muddy. Was the latest remaster in 2012 any better?Huh

Brian: Gotta agree the '88 album. Many potentially great songs on that ....if only Brian had his 'Gerschwin' vocals on '88 it would have made a huge difference.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2014, 08:19:19 AM »

Surf's Up. Kick some of the lame songs off the album (STD, Take a Load Off.., Don't Go Near..) and add some tremendous Dennis Wilson songs, like WIBNTLA, 4OJ, Lady, etc. This album has some real gems on it already, why not make it more Sunflower-caliber?
Must respectfully disagree, here.  Student Demonstration Time helped redefine the BB's as finally being able to raise consciousness about public protest by students, n.b. what is going on in Hong Kong right now.  It made them relevant as they regrouped across the US college campuses.  It was fabulous to see them in concert in a college/university setting.  

Don't Go Near the Water is in much the same category, and, the MIC instrumental is one of my favorite tracks.  And my kids would say my "feet are wrinkled like raisins" in the tub when they were little.  Great songs on that album.   Wouldn't change a note.  Wink
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 08:41:09 AM »

Must respectfully disagree, here.  Student Demonstration Time helped redefine the BB's as finally being able to raise consciousness about public protest by students, n.b. what is going on in Hong Kong right now.  It made them relevant as they regrouped across the US college campuses.  It was fabulous to see them in concert in a college/university setting.  

"America was stunned on May 4, 1970
When rally turned to riot up at Kent State University
They said the students scared the Guard
Though the troops were battle dressed
Four martyrs earned a new degree
The Bachelor of Bullets
I know we're all fed up with useless wars and racial strife
But next time there's a riot, well, you best stay out of sight

I get what you're trying to say, because students in Hong Kong are all excitedly thinking to themselves "It's Student Demonstration Time!" but the lyrics really don't apply. If it were more relevant, it wouldn't have limited itself to the protests of the time.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 08:47:42 AM »

There's an alternate universe where Student Demonstration Time was HUGE. Absolutely huge, influential, a surge of lightning that hit youth worldwide and set their hearts aflame with the magical possibilities of... remaining indoors when there's an unruly protest going on. Boy! What a timeless message.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 08:57:10 AM »

The heading would read: "In the words of Mike Love: 'Let's Student Demonstration!!'"

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »

"America was stunned on May 4, 1970
When rally turned to riot up at Kent State University
They said the students scared the Guard
Though the troops were battle dressed
Four martyrs earned a new degree
The Bachelor of Bullets
I know we're all fed up with useless wars and racial strife
But next time there's a riot, well, you best stay out of sight

I get what you're trying to say, because students in Hong Kong are all excitedly thinking to themselves "It's Student Demonstration Time!" but the lyrics really don't apply. If it were more relevant, it wouldn't have limited itself to the protests of the time.
Woodstock - without getting into all the obvious differences that distinguish both sets of circumstances, those US students were Baby Boomers of the Great Generation, who never "questioned authority."  And whose fathers had served without questioning the government.  Largely it was shocking on many levels, to parents.  It was generally peaceful protest, having been a college student at the time.  That The Beach Boys, with the formerly nearly exclusive hedonistic themes of girls, surf and cars were delving into these topics which were incapable of being denied at that time, was huge.  They had an "in-house" objector named Carl.

There are fewer built in liberties in Hong Kong, that could be asserted than in the US for protest. I fear for them and applaud their courage.  I doubt they are singing STD.  But it does recall (for me, anyway) a time when there was an attempt to squash protest against a war, where parents could not and would not believe there was not a basis for American involvement.  

And the 60's and 70's protests were on two levels; anti-war and race.  This Hong Kong protest appears to be more liberty-based and has other predicates for protest.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »

I would love to hear Brian re-do "Do You Have Any Regrets" because,  after hearing Darian's version, Brian could do that song more justice than the awful Island-vibe arrangement it was given.

I would also love to hear Brian re-record "A Day in the Life of a Tree". Just because.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx