gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:43:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Imagination album vocals  (Read 3364 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »

wanted to hear Keep an Eye on Summer tonight.  Played the original followed by the Imagination version.  I know this has been discussed many times over in the past on this forum.  But  in listening to and reading the Imagination packaging I was reminded (correctly?) that Brian did all of the lead and background vocals.  No one else sang.   I am having warm feelings about this album  and Joe Thomas.  this is some sweet music that I think has not been fully appreciated on its own merits.  I find myself wondering about some of the Joe Thomas bashing I have heard over the years.  He gave us this and TWGMTR.   These are arguably the best sounding BBs related LPs in the post 90s catalogue.  KAEOS remake is just as sweet as it sounded in 1998.  I hope the new BW lp is anywhere close to the staying power of this.  would like to hear some current commentary, in retrospect on this material from you folks who share my obsession with this music
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »

I'm with you Donald...

I love Brian's vocals on this album..... the best he has done since I reckon....

his ballad and falsetto shine on the album.....

I dig the 'accapella' 'imagination' probably the most...... Brian magic!

the production work is debateable I guess, I like it...... but it is very 'digital'...... but it was 98' thou....

great tunes on there, actually, not one I don't like......... but I am a BW fan thou...  Roll Eyes

RickB

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 06:50:28 PM »

I have a soft spot for a lot of this album, as much as I simultaneously criticize a lot of it. I wish it weren't wall-of-Brian, but considering it is, it isn't bad. My issues with it are generally more in instrumentation and production. Still, even considering those, the aforementioned soft spot remains. It has its sweetness. I was a newish serious fan around that time and found what sounded to me like a depth of emotion in some of those songs, and a brilliance of pop in others.

What's astounding is how long ago it was done. Sixteen years now! That is a substantial block of time.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 07:06:36 PM »

Joe Thomas is the biggest nitwit on planet Earth. He cannot produce music that sounds like music. He cannot find his ass with a map.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:10:36 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 07:07:10 PM »

I am legitimately a better producer than Joe Thomas. Most of you probably are, too.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »

I'm interested in this ass-map. I'll take a Beyonce.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 02:04:48 AM »

I really like Imagination. It was the first BBs release after i became a fan. I remember BBC Radio 2 previewing a different song each day for a week pre-release.

I like the nylon-string guitars and the production as a whole, but I'm not a fan of the soft pad sounding drums.

The Sgt Pepper-ish touches on the tag of Your Imagination are a real highlight. Lay Down Burden and Cry are beautiful. Sherry She Needs Me was handled gently. South American is an insanely catchy pop song.

Probably my favourite BW solo album, along with Gershwin.
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 03:56:57 AM »

I like the first two cuts on the CD a lot. Overall though it's a bit too "adult contemporary" for my tastes.

The vocals do sound pretty good, but you can tell a lot of studio trickery was involved to get them to sound the way they do.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:57:58 AM by Vega-Table Man » Logged
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »

I would love to see BW re-record "Dream Angel" as a lullabye. I don't have a daughter, but I imagine if I did that would be one song I'd sing to her at night.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 06:34:01 PM »

I think I enjoy the senior Brian having a shot at some of the old chestnuts of his catalogue.  The concept has worked with others.   I'm talking studio rerecordings  , not live performances.  who better to rerecord , with due respect to these "filler" tracks from a bygone era,  these neglected songs , than the original artist?       I'm thinking of Keep an Eye on Summer reimagined by Brian and , just what if he redid Betsy, as Mike and Scotty have so successfully done?   
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 11:10:58 PM »

I'm thinking of Keep an Eye on Summer reimagined by Brian...

Think you'll find he already did that, and to no real end...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »

Think he meant a re-re-record

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 09:21:29 AM »

The "end" is that I find the rerecording to be very pleasant listening.  An older, more mature voice, and a nice arrangement. 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 09:57:01 AM »

The "end" is that I find the rerecording to be very pleasant listening.  An older, more mature voice, and a nice arrangement. 

Meh - glad that you like it, but it had no place on that album. "Soon we'll be graduatng" was a good lyric for Brian in 1964 (and even then....not that good!), but in 1998, it's quite silly.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »

Meh - glad that you like it, but it had no place on that album. "Soon we'll be graduatng" was a good lyric for Brian in 1964 (and even then....not that good!), but in 1998, it's quite silly.

would that be sillier than BW singing "I Loves You Porgy"? (another very pretty song)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx