gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:04:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man on Horse logo  (Read 5389 times)
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2006, 03:13:04 PM »

Does anyone know the origins of the Brother Records logo?  It's a dramatic image - is it the one Carl enigmatically referred to as the last horizon?

I'm intrigued to know why this image was chosen.

(Ha ha, I'm just listening to All Summer Long at the end of American Graffitti.  It sounds great).
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 03:17:21 PM »

Artists breaking free from tyrannical record labels?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 03:41:38 PM »

"Brian chose the logo for Brother Records. The logo united the spiritual, via the Ute American Indian image, to the Beach Boys."

http://pages.cthome.net/tobelman/page18.htm

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 04:00:30 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_E._Dallin

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 04:04:07 PM »

It's funny how in that visual, the guy on the horse is raising himself into the air in a most spiritual way while the horse is most likely thinking about how good a hefty chunk of grass would taste.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 04:04:59 PM »

http://but-seriously-folks.blogspot.com/2006/05/appeal-to-great-spirit.html

Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 04:20:06 PM »

Wow, thankyou Mr LePage. It is certainly a powerful image, and Brian was definitely into spiritual thing at that time (1966?).  I wonder what Brian was appealing for?
Liberation?
Inspiration?
Blessing?
I wonder if Van had anything to do with it, seeing as he enjoys this sort of stuff?
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 04:24:43 PM »

Wow, thankyou Mr LePage. It is certainly a powerful image, and Brian was definitely into spiritual thing at that time (1966?).  I wonder what Brian was appealing for?
Liberation?
Inspiration?
Blessing?
I wonder if Van had anything to do with it, seeing as he enjoys this sort of stuff?

This may help:

http://pages.cthome.net/tobelman/The_Out-Of-Sight_SMiLE_Site.html

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 05:32:20 PM »

Such confusion, all these years he wasn't talking about LSD trips, he was talking about LDS trips to "Salt Lake City" where he saw the temple there and the sculpture atop it.  His "LDS" trips expanded his mind and made him more creative, so he tributed it by choosing another sculpture by the same artist.  It's all so clear now!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 05:44:44 AM »

So what's the meaning of the "Surf's up"-front cover then? That guy doesn't look as happy on that... When I first saw it, I thought this ould be the devil dying. I was frightened by that picture....

BTW I have to say how much I love the artork to the "Brother years"-Best of. It's awesome....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 09:04:37 AM »

So what's the meaning of the "Surf's up"-front cover then? That guy doesn't look as happy on that... When I first saw it, I thought this ould be the devil dying. I was frightened by that picture....

Yeah from the SMiLE cover to this:

One was all about being optimistic about American society and the other...?  Personally I can see loads of Brian's personality in the first art cover and almost none in Surf's Up.  An art cover can say as much about the album as the songs IMO (for arty people like me, anyway) and is what you remember visually.  Do I have to mention Sgt Pepper, White album... ha ha even Like A Virgin (B&W tart in bed).  SMiLE was nicely memorable for all the right reasons.  Surf's Up for all the wrong ones.
Lola Jane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 09:53:02 AM »

Actually, regarding that Surf's Up cover - look at this:
http://www.goldmountainmining.com/endoftrail.html
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 02:48:17 PM »

The Surf's Up cover is the complete anthesis of the term "surf's up". It's dark and depressing. No one is surfing, it's a man riding a horse. Compare to the Surfin' USA cover.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 04:10:04 AM »

Actually, regarding that Surf's Up cover - look at this:
http://www.goldmountainmining.com/endoftrail.html

Cool, thank you !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx