gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:26:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeff Foskett speaks about leaving Brian's band and joining Mike's band  (Read 72323 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2014, 12:29:17 PM »

Has anybody considered that Jeff has undergone major heart surgery--a while back, but still--and that continuing such a stressful dual role in Brian's band might simply not be worth it, health wise?

Think you're misremembering the gastric bypass he had some ten years ago. To my knowledge he's not had heart surgery. That was Bruce.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »

What I don't get is the teasing: "I know way more than I'm posting, way more than you, I'm an insider, I'll make bold statements, but I'll keep the stories to myself. I know a lot, you do not, but I'm not telling it".

To my (currently questionable) knowledge, no-one credible has ever declared themselves an insider: that's like saying "I'm an expert" - if you have to tell people, chances are you're not, not to mention being very poor form, what ? As for them with an inside track "teasing"... well, that's a personal call, walking the line between imparting what posters have been asking to know and retaining that inside track by not spilling too many or too large beans. Probably easier to say nothing, but they'd likely get ripped for that too. Dilemma. I'm sure there's much, much more Howie, Jon and their ilk could tell us, as sure as I am that once they did so, their sources, connections and probably their livelihoods would evaporate like the morning dew.

Gotta respectfully disagree with you there. I find the posts that "tease" to be one of the key reasons that there is so much inane bickering on this board. If people don't want their sources to dry up then they should not jump into these conversations in the first place.

Very fair point... but when someone (no names, no pack drill) is posting what can only be described as luminous, accelerated bollocks, it can be hard not to, ah, "correct" them.  Grin

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2014, 12:58:52 PM »

What I don't get is the teasing: "I know way more than I'm posting, way more than you, I'm an insider, I'll make bold statements, but I'll keep the stories to myself. I know a lot, you do not, but I'm not telling it".

To my (currently questionable) knowledge, no-one credible has ever declared themselves an insider: that's like saying "I'm an expert" - if you have to tell people, chances are you're not, not to mention being very poor form, what ? As for them with an inside track "teasing"... well, that's a personal call, walking the line between imparting what posters have been asking to know and retaining that inside track by not spilling too many or too large beans. Probably easier to say nothing, but they'd likely get ripped for that too. Dilemma. I'm sure there's much, much more Howie, Jon and their ilk could tell us, as sure as I am that once they did so, their sources, connections and probably their livelihoods would evaporate like the morning dew.

Gotta respectfully disagree with you there. I find the posts that "tease" to be one of the key reasons that there is so much inane bickering on this board. If people don't want their sources to dry up then they should not jump into these conversations in the first place.

Very fair point... but when someone (no names, no pack drill) is posting what can only be described as luminous, accelerated bollocks, it can be hard not to, ah, "correct" them.  Grin

" luminous, accelerated bollocks" is that anything like a diaphanous moiety???   Cool

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »

Paul J B -- you make an excellent point.

Moving forward . . .

1. What's everybody's dream tracklisting for Reverberation?

2. More fictional sketches about Brian and Jeff driving to eat food, please.

3. Your statements about F/U to Melinda certainly imply that Melinda calls the shots or something. Care to clarify? If that's the case it's a little interesting because others here who seem to know things contradict that premise to a fault.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2014, 01:10:19 PM »

" luminous, accelerated bollocks" is that anything like a diaphanous moiety???   Cool

The same, only left-handed and blue, not yellow.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »

Moving forward . . .

3. Your statements about F/U to Melinda certainly imply that Melinda calls the shots or something. Care to clarify? If that's the case it's a little interesting because others here who seem to know things contradict that premise to a fault.

I don’t think it implies she “calls the shots”, but rather that she is involved in the business organization in some capacity, as apparently other spouses are in some cases, either directly or indirectly.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »

Moving forward . . .

I don’t think it implies she “calls the shots”, but rather that she is involved in the business organization in some capacity, as apparently other spouses are in some cases, either directly or indirectly.

Thanks for clearing that up. So Mike Love and Jeff Foskett directed a big FU to somebody involved in the business organization in some capacity. Got it.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2014, 02:42:45 PM »

One of the more, to me, disturbing things that has surfaced in this thread , unstated but certainly alluded to , is the underlying idea that Brian is not capable of touring at all without some kind of massive care giving; almost like he is an invalid ; that he requires a "caretaker".  This is not only grossly unfair but it is patently not true. To me , a "caretaker" is required when someone is physically incapable of helping themselves ; or are incapacitated.

Brian absolutely requires a "right hand man" , as he calls it , on the road, that is indisputable. Jeff has filled that role now for several years; prior to that I think Mark London did it for a tour, Bo Cheung did it for a few tours, Sharkey did it for a few tours; Jerry Weiss did it for a few years; the entire "Pet Sounds" tour and "SMiLE" tour worldwide;  and I am certain David Leaf did it for a few dates in the first year or two.  I did it for several dates early on to "pinch hit" where needed; additionally I have had the ability to meet up with Brian all over the world; Sydney, Melbourne, Tokyo, Osaka, London, Brussels, Paris , Amsterdam to name some of the places ; you get the drift.

Being the "right hand man" entails tons of responsibility. There are schedules to meet; radio interviews, tv interviews , newspaper interviews; there is sound check ; there is lobby call ; the normal stuff that you deal with when working with Brian.  You are not a caretaker in this role ; you are essentially a Personal Assistant. As a part of the PA's role with Brian is to ensure he takes his meds....but he is usually more on top of it than you are . You give him briefings on what the schedule is for the upcoming day; he self schedules his excercise walks and piano playing around that schedule, and you try and not run up the largest room service bill in history.  The PA travels First Class with Brian , stays in a huge suite in usually a 5 star hotel with Brian; fields all the phone calls , as he is the central point of contact. And yes; you will get several calls a day from Melinda Wilson checking in ; why the hell wouldnt you; he's her husband FFS ?  

The point is , being Brian's PA is probably not much different from being any other high profile individual's PA; with the caveat that  you are dealing with Brian's specific health issues. It is not the easiest job , but it is not like you are on a slave ship rowing like Ben Hur with an orator pounding out the cadence, for God's sake. For Jeff being the "right hand man" though, it was a whole different genre as he had to also be on stage every night ; had to make sure his voice was ok every night; on top of all of it; essentially; he had the two jobs, and handled both.  Having said that, as Howie says in one of his posts, it was the role Jeff wanted ; nobody , I believe, or in my opinion forced that role on him.

I could tell on C50,  but more prominantly on the Beck tour that something was definitely "off ", but I couldn't put my finger on it; couldn't tell if it was Brian just having a bad day here and there or if there was something else bothering him.  I can speculate all these changes were perculating back then. There were rumblings back in the C50 tour, that Christian Love was leaving or thinking of leaving the M & B band; just stuff I heard at several hotel bars; I must state that I wouldn't know Christian Love from Fletcher Christian, as I have never seen M & B's band,  so overhearing this didn't mean anything to me.

Jeff switched careers, as is his perrogative. I think he fits in great with that band; based on some of the YouTube video's I have seen ; I never really base anything on youtube clips/ IPhone clips, but I know his voice really well and based on that alone, it will add depth to their band.

I am re-reading Howie's posts very closely, and reserving judgement now until I digest it all .  

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »

Thank you for that post, Ray...from first hand experience, the types of duties Jeff had as Brian's PA are extremely nerve-racking and time consuming; throw that in with his musical duties and that's can be an overwhelming amount of pressure. There is a reason 99% of artists having someone to do those duties for them. It is not a negative reflection of Brian to have one, at all. And I've be more concerned if Melinda was *not* calling in several times per day.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicko1234
« Reply #210 on: September 25, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »

This thread has certainly taken some unexpected turns...

Jeff seemed to be perfectly respectful towards Brian in the interview so I really don`t see how anyone can claim any negativity there.

And I have no idea what relevance Al not being able to use the BBF&F name has to Jeff`s interview. All I do know is that if one person is paying 20% for the use of a trademark and another person wants to use it for nothing by adding 3 words to the end of it then that is obviously not going to be acceptable. And it wasn`t. To any of the other members of BRI.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:15:40 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 25, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »

Moving forward . . .

Thanks for clearing that up. So Mike Love and Jeff Foskett directed a big FU to somebody involved in the business organization in some capacity. Got it.

Thank You. People that make bold statements and then don't/won't back them up hit a sore spot with me. I don't even really care why or who Jeff wants to play with. It's the principal of the way these things always play out on here that I take issue with.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 25, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »

Paul J P -- I wish I could help you more. You seem to have a really hard time dotting i’s and crossing t’s. I can’t do that for you. I can tell you about facts that I’ve learned, and my perception and opinion of them. To dismiss something because you can’t understand "why" has more to do with how you're wired than the idea that I’m purposely keeping a secret from you, or trying to lie to you. I suggest maybe you start to do your own research regarding the current machinations of the group. That might ease your frustration and get you the answers you need.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »

One of the more, to me, disturbing things that has surfaced in this thread , unstated but certainly alluded to , is the underlying idea that Brian is not capable of touring at all without some kind of massive care giving; almost like he is an invalid ; that he requires a "caretaker".  This is not only grossly unfair but it is patently not true. To me , a "caretaker" is required when someone is physically incapable of helping themselves ; or are incapacitated.

Sorry, Ray, I'll take the hit for using the word "Caregiver" in this thread. This may have been a slight exaggeration. In the past, I've referred to Jeff as "Brian's right hand man" and maybe shoulda stuck with that. I've never seen "Personal Assistant" applied to Jeff, though, kinda like Diane Rovell use to be in the late 60's/early 70's. And "Personal Assistant" should also be differentiated and not confused by the duties of "Personal Care Assistant" or "Personal Care Attendant (PCA)" But if that defined what Jeff's old job use to be then so be it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:35:33 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »

Paul J P -- I wish I could help you more. You seem to have a really hard time dotting i’s and crossing t’s. I can’t do that for you. I can tell you about facts that I’ve learned, and my perception and opinion of them. To dismiss something because you can’t understand "why" has more to do with how you're wired than the idea that I’m purposely keeping a secret from you, or trying to lie to you. I suggest maybe you start to do your own research regarding the current machinations of the group. That might ease your frustration and get you the answers you need.

Good. That would genuinely help a lot.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »

Sorry, Ray, I'll take the hit for using the word "Caregiver" in this thread. This may have been a slight exaggeration. In the past I referred to Jeff as Brian's right hand man" and maybe shoulda stuck with that. I've never seen "Personal Assistant" applied to Jeff, though, kinda like Diane Rovell use to be in the late 60's/early 70's. And "Personal Assistant" should also be differentiated and not confused by the duties of "Personal Care Assistant" or "Personal Care Attendant (PCA)" But if that defined what Jeff's old job use to be then so be it.

Mikie; I wasnt taking a shot at you , just so you know.  I mean I didnt consider Jeff Brian's PA , but rather his "right hand man "...but when I spelled out what you have to do ....well , its a PA.  I went with Brian to see McCartney at the Hollywood Bowl; I dealt exclusively with McCartney's PA when there , to set up the backstage meet and all that stuff....and essentially thats part of the PA job. Jeff wore multiple hats .
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »

Why doesn't Brian just have a personal assistant?
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2014, 04:32:49 PM »

Nicko 1234 -- I wish I could help you more. You seem to have a really hard time dotting i’s and crossing t’s. I can’t do that for you. I can tell you about facts that I’ve learned, and my perception and opinion of them. To dismiss something because you can’t understand "why" has more to do with how you're wired than the idea that I’m purposely keeping a secret from you, or trying to lie to you. I suggest maybe you start to do your own research regarding the current machinations of the group. That might ease your frustration and get you the answers you need.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »

Most threads do! Especially when they're even remotely related to the end of the C50 or after an interview with a band member. NOTHING is taken at face value. There always has to be an underlying factor, an untruth, an alternate motive, somebody's fault, something misconstrued, details left out, or more variables added to make it a major production issue. It never fails. This board always strives to establish the root cause of an issue even though it may not be necessary. Sometimes I think there's a bunch of frustrated lawyer wanna-be's posting on this board. Is that a bad thing? You make the call.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:40:12 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »

Why doesn't Brian just have a personal assistant?

I think he has in the past, and may have one now...in Jeff's case, to me it seems to have been the fact that Brian felt comfortable was a key point. Rather than bring in anyone else, why not use what's already there, with someone Brian feels at ease with?  That's my take on it, anyway.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: September 25, 2014, 04:58:18 PM »

Most threads do! Especially when they're even remotely related to the end of the C50 or after an interview with a band member. NOTHING is taken at face value. There always has to be an underlying factor, an untruth, an alternate motive, somebody's fault, something misconstrued, details left out, or more variables added to make it a major production issue. It never fails. This board always strives to establish the root cause of an issue even though it may not be necessary. Sometimes I think there's a bunch of frustrated lawyer wanna-be's posting on this board. Is that a bad thing? You make the call.  Cheesy

Guilty as charged! Wannabe.  Grin

The reason I sometimes post as I do comes from discussions in the past where it felt like every single minute detail had to be present in certain posts or else 1. Someone would call out the minute detail that was missed, or 2. The missing of that detail would open up the door to discredit or cast doubt on the other 999 details that were just posted.

So, in some cases it is best to cover all the bases, so to speak.

Now, as far as the sidebars, some of them along with the related minute detailing of the issues here need to be presented because no matter how many times those facts or details have been listed here in the past, in some cases by some direct participants, or those close to those directly involved, or even those who know some of those directly involved, there is still either an unwillingness to accept or a total denial of, basically, the facts. And when those facts contradict long-held beliefs or opinions, there is too often not a mea culpa, a simple statement of "I didn't know that, thanks for clearing it up"...or anything of the sort.

Instead, there can too often be the case of some folks still trying to turn the chicken sh*t into chicken salad, in terms of pushing opinion after opinion that can or had already been challenged if not dismissed by the facts.

So yeah, I get wordy sometimes.  Smiley  I also never order chicken salad from a restaurant I've never been to.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: September 25, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »

Thank you for that post, Ray...from first hand experience, the types of duties Jeff had as Brian's PA are extremely nerve-racking and time consuming; throw that in with his musical duties and that's can be an overwhelming amount of pressure. There is a reason 99% of artists having someone to do those duties for them. It is not a negative reflection of Brian to have one, at all. And I've be more concerned if Melinda was *not* calling in several times per day.

Seconded. Or to put it another way, find me any major artist or actor or any celebrity who does not have an assistant to take care of these day to day issues like scheduling, travel, and the like, if not an entire entourage of them to do these things. Hey, wasn't there a TV show on HBO that was about this same thing, I can't remember the title... Grin

Anyone who thinks Brian having any kind of assistant is unusual somehow, take a look at how Kanye, Mariah Carey, Jay Z/Beyonce, or even Beiber travel, tour, and perform, note how many staff members they have with them for even one show or trip to the club not to mention a touring schedule, and get back to us.  Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2014, 05:41:24 PM »

Also, too, and i think I've mentioned this before, but those who think Brian is being 'controlled' should take a look at Britney Spears, who is not even allowed to open her own mail, use the phone or go online without supervision per her conservatorship. THAT is being controlled.

Chicken salad LOL

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2014, 05:59:20 PM »

Ray, I can understand why you would feel this way. But, respectfully, I'm not sure that people view Brian as an invalid, as needing massive care, or being incapacitated. Yes, we are aware of Brian's problems, and the strides he has made in dealing with them. However, while he has made tremendous improvement, he is not cured. Some - or many, actually - might feel that Brian needs a "right hand man/woman/whatever" to keep him from doing some very adverse and harmful things to himself. That is what separates Brian and/or his "right hand men" from others...not all, but most.
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2014, 06:29:54 PM »

If Brian doesn't/didn't have a P.A. and those duties were placed on Foskett, I can understand why he might want to give the Brian camp a FU. I imagine Jeff performed these duties out of love for Brian. If I were in his place, after 15 years I'd feel like I was being used.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx