gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:22:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 17-minute "Heroes and Villains" coming....  (Read 12150 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »

soniclovenoize, could you repost your version somewhere? Smiley
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 08:25:29 PM »

Sure, I'm going to revise it first though, changed my mind about some things!  Give me the weekend...

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »

I'm curious.... was "With Me Tonight" ever meant to be part of H&V?

What about "Our Prayer"?
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »

I'm curious.... was "With Me Tonight" ever meant to be part of H&V?

What about "Our Prayer"?

No, I don't believe so.  afaik, the following were originally conceived as a part of H&V:
- I'm In Great Shape (later became it's own song)
- Barnyard (I personally believe this became a part of IIGS, but this is unconfirmed)
- Do A Lot (which later became the chorus of Vege-Tables
- All Day (which became it's own song as I Love to Say Dada and then evolved into Cool Cool Water)
- Intro Remake (some think this became the intro to Fire, but that may have been a Mark Linett creative choice in the 80s while compiling the SMiLE tapes, which was eventually perpetuated in BWPS; it did of course evolve into Fall Breaks, which also contains elements of Fire, who knows...)

Then the following was taken from other songs to be used in H&V:
- Fade from OMP
- Chorus from DYLW

Of course, this is what we have documentation for. For all we know, maybe Brian had more pieces from other songs intended, but we don't know.  I've heard someone mention OMP/Sunshine was a part of H&V originally, but the only source of that information was a session musician of the original version of H&V taped on 5/11/66, which was wiped.  Certainly OMP was not a part of H&V by Oct-Nov when both were tracked proper.  It's feasible because H&V is in C# and OMP is in it's 4th, F# (same as Cantina and the All Day...).  Barnyard and IIGS were still a part of H&V by that time, so why wasn't OMP?  Maybe because this was never reliable information to begin with?  idk

Also, the fact that the Bicycle Rider chorus was under the title H&V when recorded on 1/5/67 is very curious indeed.  Why?  because
1) DYLW was just worked on 15 days earlier.  Was it really dead by then?  The song was on the shortlist in February, so it shouldn't have been.
2) The lyrics tracked were "Bicycle Rider just see what you've done" not "Heroes and villains just see what you've done". This is significant because it is literally the lyrics found on the DYLW lyric sheet.  Why sing the Worms lyric if it's a part of H&V? Why not sing the after lyric (which was eventually done anyways)?
3) The key is in Gm, which does not gel with H&V's key of C#.  At all.  Nearly all of the H&V fragments were either in C# or F# so they would harmonically fit.  That's the only way one could create a song like this... Matter of fact, Brian knew this because when the piano figure was taken and put into H&V by 2/15/67 (as Piano Ballad) Brian had changed the key to D#m so it would fit.  This was after the finished Cantina Mix, when he decided "Oh Heroes and Villains needs a chorus, and it'll be taken from DYLW."  Since the January Bicycle Rider Theme was recorded before the finished Cantina mix of H&V and had not gotten a key change yet, I propose that is a documentation error, and that it was meant to be the missing chorus patch of DYLW, NOT H&V. 

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »

Very nice, enjoyed it!!!

Now make the whole SMiLE-thing make sense like this!!  Tongue  Cheesy

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 02:42:45 PM »

I dunno if I can do that, but I WOULD like to have a go at a side-long "Good Vibrations", most likely using the (admittedly very rough) T-9280 CD version as a guide.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 09:53:27 PM »

soniclovenoize, could you repost your version somewhere? Smiley
OK here you go.  Made a few changes so the pieces fit together a bit better.  It's still (mostly) in chronological order, so that you can hear how Brian's concept for the song changed over time.

http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/41218812/file.html

0:00  -  Verse  (10/20)
1:02  -  Barnyard  (10/20)
1:51  -  I'm in Great Shape  (10/27)

2:11  -  Chimes Intro  (12/19)

2:41  -  Do A Lot  (1/03)
3:15  -  Pickup to 3rd verse  (1/03)
3:19  -  Part 1 Tag  (1/03)
3:43  -  Mission Pak  (1/03
3:47  -  Bridge To Indians  (1/03)
3:53  -  Bag of Tricks  (1/03)

4:34  -  All Day (1/27)
5:22  -  Cantina  (1/27)
5:56  -  My Children Were Raised  (1/27)
6:09  -  Verse "At 3 score 5"  (10/20 + 2/10)
6:20  -  Whistling Bridge  (1/27)

6:30  -  Prelude To Fade  (2/15)
7:03  -  Piano Theme  (2/15)
7:44  -  Gee  (2/20)
8:31  -  Part 2  (2/20)
9:09  -  Swedish Frog  (2/20)
9:38  -  Part 2 Revised  (2/20)
10:16  -  Part 4  (2/20)

10:50  -  Organ Waltz  (3/01)
11:29  -  Part Two/Chorus  (2/27 + 6/14)

12:09  -  Barbershop  (6/14)
12:31  -  Verse "Stand or fall"  (10/20 + 6/14)

13:15  -  Fade  (11/14)

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »

Wow, having "Barnyard" lead into "I'm In Great Shape" sounds great.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 07:22:02 AM »

(Also, your version definitely gave me some ideas of how to make mine longer... like adding in "All Day" before "In The Cantina.")
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 07:50:24 AM »

I made an 18:30 minute version back in the Smile Shop days of yore.
The link? Would love to hear it & compare w/ TheLazenby's & sonic's.

Here it is with a fresh coat of Old Paint. I tweaked it to update it in places:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/l00y3a7lw11d219/BB_HorseOpera_102214.mp3

Hope you city slickers like it.

Voow this is truly great Krab! I really like the way you handled barnyard demo with all the farm sounds and fiddles beneath (from barnshine??)..made me think that after that section HV intro or even MOCW would go great.. really good contrast between laidback  then furious hectic...
think I´ll made me a mix like that!
Tnx for an idea!
One more question: are we gonna get some mp3/wav of your smile videos??
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:51:19 AM by Nile » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »

I made an 18:30 minute version back in the Smile Shop days of yore.
The link? Would love to hear it & compare w/ TheLazenby's & sonic's.

Here it is with a fresh coat of Old Paint. I tweaked it to update it in places:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/l00y3a7lw11d219/BB_HorseOpera_102214.mp3

Hope you city slickers like it.

Voow this is truly great Krab! I really like the way you handled barnyard demo with all the farm sounds and fiddles beneath (from barnshine??)..made me think that after that section HV intro or even MOCW would go great.. really good contrast between laidback  then furious hectic...
think I´ll made me a mix like that!
Tnx for an idea!
One more question: are we gonna get some mp3/wav of your smile videos??

Thanks for posting your comments, Nile. I had fun going back and revisiting those old ideas after all these years. It's funny that you mention following Barnyard with MOCW, because a long time back, that 's what I used to do for my Smile sequence. I had IIGS which would end with Barnyard fading out, and then a loud cow mooing and a crash of glass (a lantern breaking), followed immediately by Fire which I used as for the beginning of The Elements.
    As for wavs for some other things, I'll PM you, although I believe there are some free programs out there that allow one to capture the audio from Youtube videos. I've never tried them though.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »

Wow, having "Barnyard" lead into "I'm In Great Shape" sounds great.
Thanks! Smiley

Also I was thinking about it, and my concern with a project like this was always "How do you structure it?" and I always thought there was no possible way to do that since there is no linear narrative and it's just a jumble of random pieces.  And as I had said, mine was based on chronological order of recording date, but that of course is meant to communicate something else as opposed to what you are trying to do. 

But then it occurred to me just the other day that you could take all the fragments and classify them into four specific groups...

VERSES
Verse 1 – Been in this town
Verse 2 – My children were raised/3 score 5
Verse 3 – La la la/Stand or fall
Verse 4 – Barbershop

SKITS/INTERLUDES
Barnyard
I’m in Great Shape
Cantina
My Only Sunshine (I am skeptical, but let's give that session musician a benefit of the doubt)

INTROS and OUTROS
Chimes Intro
Bag of Tricks
Organ Waltz
Fade

CHORUSES
Piano Theme
Gee
Part 2 (Anvil/Hooves)/Swedish Frog
Part 2 Revised
Part 4
Part 2/Chorus

LINKS/BRIDGES/TAGS
Pick-up to 3rd Verse
Part 1 Tag
Mission Pak
Bridge to Indians
Whistling Bridge
Prelude to Fade

And that only leaves "All Day" and "Do A Lot", which could possibly be a link and/or bridge.  Same with Swedish Frog, that could be moved to a skit?

So here you could make a theoretical structure with these different groups, such as: intro / verse / skit / chorus / bridge and then assemble that structure from the above sections list.  Since there are approx four pieces in each group you can repeat the structure four times, with maybe a chorus repeated (since there's six) and of course the extra link tracks are needed to accommodate key changes if necessary,.   

Does that make sence or am I ranting? 

Sorry to hijack your thread, I'll be quiet if you want, I guess I'm just thinking out loud here... 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:15:40 AM by soniclovenoize » Logged

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »

No, no, go on as much as you'd like!  I'm always open to new H&V structures. :-)

I mean, mine's just based on the GV boxed set/Odeon Smile layout, because that's what I'm most used to.  I'm just used to that Part 1 (with Cantina)/Gee/Part 2 (chorus variations) lay out.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »

I love the flow of having the Organ Waltz (with it's police siren at the beginning) right after "You're under arrest!" and then into Part 2/Chorus (though it also works just as well into the piano theme which is the same melody).  Piano Theme after Prelude to Fade works nice as well.  I don't think doing a super long H&V and trying to cram as many sections as possible with each other is overkill - it starts to become a little annoying.  You guys are giving me (and many of us) some cool ideas to move forward with.  I love Great Shape and Barnyard, but their audio quality still bugs me, and since they are more novelty pieces in the grand scheme, they are not essential to a H&V track, even if originally intended to be, so I'd leave them out.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:27 PM »

Wow, did I miss sth.! Sorry, krabklaw, I totally forgot about requesting your H&V. Can you re-up it in sendspace? Mediafile won't allow me to d/l it & heads me to Amazon. Thanks in advance.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 07:51:16 AM »

I'm thinking of putting the TSS box version of "With Me Tonight" after the last part 2 'dit-dit-dit heroes and villains' variation, starting with the lone bass riff.  Perhaps the accidental crash that brings the song to an end can lead back into "My children were raised"? Smiley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »

Wow, did I miss sth.! Sorry, krabklaw, I totally forgot about requesting your H&V. Can you re-up it in sendspace? Mediafile won't allow me to d/l it & heads me to Amazon. Thanks in advance.

I hope you enjoy it:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/p9khhs

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »

Okay, change the topic title to "23-minute Heroes and Villains coming!" Smiley

It's not a replacement for my 17-minute one (since people seemed to really like how that was put together).... just an obsessively-inclusive alternative!
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »

Okay.... here is my 21:49 "Heroes and Villains".  This is as far as I'm willing to go.
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/15513133/file.html

And for my money, the 17-minute one I made is still much, much better.  I tried so hard to make this all work, and I'll admit, I may have failed.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »

Okay.... here is my 21:49 "Heroes and Villains".  This is as far as I'm willing to go.
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/15513133/file.html

And for my money, the 17-minute one I made is still much, much better.  I tried so hard to make this all work, and I'll admit, I may have failed.

Great stuff man! Funny, I never heard that first section of "All Day" before. Guess I didn't listen that far into the Smile Sessions edit!
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 07:21:46 AM »

Is it just me, or does streaming it from the Zippyshare page (instead of downloading it), and playing the heavily-compressed preview version, add some depth that normally isn't there?

It sounds sounds a bit odd and interesting on headphones to me. Cheesy
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx