gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 05:36:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wrecking Crew Movie update  (Read 2230 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »

From Spectropop as posted by Country Paul: 

This is in today's e-editions of Pro-Sound News and Pro Audio Review: Magnolia Acquires Wrecking Crew Doc (November 7, 2014) Magnolia Pictures has acquired worldwide distribution rights to "The Wrecking Crew," a documentary film directed by Denny Tedesco about the L.A. session musicians behind some of the biggest hit records of the 60's and early 70's.... It played the North American film festival circuit for several years before Tedesco launched a Kickstarter campaign, which raised over $300,000 to cover the licensing fee for the more than 100 songs used in the film and final production costs.   

Magnolia Pictures is reportedly planning a theatrical release for the first quarter of 2015.
Magnolia Pictures http://www.magpictures.com

Danny Tedesco 's Wrecking Crew site www.wreckingcrewfilm.com

See more at:

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/article/magnolia-acquires-wrecking-cre w-doc/18588#sthash.V2jfz1FF.dpuf

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 01:20:22 AM »

Now a double feature with the Brian movie would be cool. Thumbs Up
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 01:26:48 AM »

Thanks bgas, this is great news. Denny's been working hard for a long time to make this happen, and it makes me happy to imagine the satisfaction he must feel. Somewhere Tommy is smiling.  Smiley

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »

Finally.  FINALLY.  I feel like I have been waiting years to see this thing.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 12:51:12 AM »

Hot. Damn.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 07:44:16 AM »

Hot. Damn.  Grin

Further update  courtesy of Spectropop: 
>>Those who saw earlier screenings will be surprised to see new footage Danny has edited into the film from both recent finds and his finally convincing Leon Russell to appear for an interview. The only downside is that Danny is intent on keeping the film to a specific length, so when new things were added, some footage previously included had to be cut. Having seen a recent edit of the film, I can say that the film is amazing, both for its treasure trove of material and as a labor of love. Doug is quite correct about needing to see it more than once. While the film is well paced, it really does hit the viewer with so much information that itā€™s impossible to absorb it all in one viewing. As I recall, Danny said heā€™s been working on the film since 1988, so seeing it released will be a dream come true. Congrats, Danny! (And be sure to order the DVD set, which will include a ton of bonus material.) << 

I much prefer watching on a theatre screen but it would seem from the above better to wait for the DVD !
   I wonder if perhaps Magnolia will overrule tedesco and increase the theatre length to include what he's excised...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 07:58:54 AM »

That's interesting about the recent edits and recuts to the film, they've been regularly posting outtakes from the film on their Facebook page, and even going through the "unused" clips they've already posted via Facebook, they're sitting on hours of bonus footage that I'm sure fans would love to see. Maybe this will be the bonus material or part of a deluxe edition type of release if and when it goes to DVD? I'd like that.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 08:19:45 AM »

I saw the movie twice, both with Mr. Tedesco in attendance (doing a Q and A after one of the screenings) a few years ago and also had a chance to speak with him after the Q and A.  It is such a wonderful film and he has worked so hard and for so long to put it together.  Perfect example of a labour of love, as well as a treat for any music fan.  I'd pay to see it in the theatre again if I had the opportunity.  He said the intention has always been to have a ton of bonus footage to add as special features section for the dvd release so I'll be buying the dvd upon release too.  Minor gripe being that it could be more accurate regarding The Beach Boys' instrumental contributions to their own recordings.  It implies that the wrecking crew contributed more than they actually did.  But we have scholars like Stebbins, C-Man, AGD, to help us get the most accurate picture of how individual tracks shaped up and who did what specifically.  No question Brian's access to these fine musicians helped projects like Pet Sounds and Smile (and so many others brilliant tracks) come to life.  Can't wait to see it again.  I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 10:44:03 PM »

I desperately want to see this movie, on a big screen.

I desperately want to own the DVD, with the promised ton of extras.

I desperately want to see the reaction of someone who has consistently badmouthed both Tedesco and the entire project since pretty much day one.

I desperately want to see that, finally, years after Stebbins and I pointed it out to him, Tedesco has stopped using AFMs which patently aren't BB sessions as proof that the Crew played on certain tracks when they didn't.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx