gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:49:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Al interview: "Don't call us The Beach Boys!"  (Read 18332 times)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »

http://music-illuminati.com/interview-al-jardine/
Nicko1234
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »

Thanks for posting the link.

Some interesting comments about a possible Carl and Dennis style tour.
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »

So...that Paul McCartney thing never happened right? ? ?

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »

Al seems bitter

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 05:04:35 PM »

The end of the interview says a lot.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »

I hope the Carl and Dennis tour happens.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »

Does it?  It seemed to me like another person who is related to a Beach Boy is putting her nose where it doesn't belong.  Al wasn't going to talk about it until she told him to, then she continued to force the issue.  We already knew how Al feels about the situation.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 05:23:45 PM »

Wow, Al's wife really does not like Mike Love.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »

Does it?  It seemed to me like another person who is related to a Beach Boy is putting her nose where it doesn't belong.  Al wasn't going to talk about it until she told him to, then she continued to force the issue.  We already knew how Al feels about the situation.

Kind of my point.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »

Kind of my point.

Oh.  Tongue  From my point of view it's just the opposite.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »

Wow, Al's wife really does not like Mike Love.

Well she could be traveling around the world with Al on tour, not to mention all the money Al is missing out on.

I'd hate him too if I was her.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »

The record needs to be set straight there have been two clear sides on what happened this whole time. Al and Brian say Mike fired us and then Mike says Brian and his "people" said that Brian didn't want to tour anymore. So who's lying that's the question i want to know. The fact that David has played with Mike and Bruce and then Al and Brian makes things even more complicated, that doesn't even include Jeff jumping ship on Brian and the whole Al being advertised for that July 5th concert in NYC and then not showing up! The whole thing is one big confusing contradicting story after another.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 05:56:21 PM »

Brian Wilson AND Paul McCartney are collaborating...in the studio...on SMiLE...on "Vegetables"...in 1967...and Al Jardine was interrupting them and rushing them...because he wanted to go to bed! And now he appears to be bragging about it? Poor Al.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 06:37:41 PM »

The record needs to be set straight there have been two clear sides on what happened this whole time. Al and Brian say Mike fired us and then Mike says Brian and his "people" said that Brian didn't want to tour anymore. So who's lying that's the question i want to know. The fact that David has played with Mike and Bruce and then Al and Brian makes things even more complicated, that doesn't even include Jeff jumping ship on Brian and the whole Al being advertised for that July 5th concert in NYC and then not showing up! The whole thing is one big confusing contradicting story after another.

Mike fires Brian, Al and Dave,  but then tries to he-hire them one by one. A couple of years later Brian fires Jeff, then gets Al to tour with him; perhaps he's just creating room for Mike. 
It's all just F,F,F in the BBs world. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »

I hope the Carl and Dennis tour happens.

Paging Adam Marsland... paging Adam Marsland...

No-one got fired. Because no single executive member of BRI can fire another: needs a majority vote. This has been discussed and settled for over a year. Check out the LA Times, early October 2012. As for the "no more shows for Wilson" email mentioned by Ambha back in the summer... given her position, Mike's similar comment in 2013 and the lack of contradiction for either, looks very much like that's exactly what happened. Someone really needs to write that book...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:09:28 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 11:18:10 PM »

The BBs need to get together in a room to get their story straight.

And while they're at it, they could knock a new album together…

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 02:07:09 AM »

Music stars really should leave their wives out of interviews imo as it doesn`t come across that well.

I also thought that Brian, Al and David have all billed themselves as original members of The Beach Boys in promotional materials recently anyway...
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 02:49:33 AM »

I also thought that Brian, Al and David have all billed themselves as original members of The Beach Boys in promotional materials recently anyway...

hence some new issues by the sound of it.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 03:04:40 AM »

More soap opera stuff... not interested.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 03:50:31 AM »

More soap opa stuff.... interested. Cheesy
Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 04:34:48 AM »

I do enjoy Al interviews; with Mike and Brian you know in advance what you're going to get (Kokomo/George Harrison/writing with Cousin Brian/drugs are bad - Mike.  Rock n Roll album/God Only Knows is Macca's favourite song/one word answers - Brian) but Al will talk ...and talk.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 04:47:28 AM »

"He’s a brilliant songwriter, and unfortunately he has brilliant lawyers. We wish him all the best, but doggonit, you know, we’d like to be Beach Boys, too. There you go."

This sums up Al's conflict on the issue. I can understand his claim. And I can totally understand Mike's position through these years as well.

A wife's instigation can be tougher to endure than the actual problem itself. Therefore my sympathy to Al, who was wrapping up the interview nicely -had all the issues addressed at as a true gentleman- and had to make room for his wife's claim.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 04:53:47 AM »

Brian Wilson AND Paul McCartney are collaborating...in the studio...on SMiLE...on "Vegetables"...in 1967...and Al Jardine was interrupting them and rushing them...because he wanted to go to bed! And now he appears to be bragging about it? Poor Al.

I think you are making too big of a deal about this personally.  While both The Beatles and The Beach Boys were undoubtedly successful at the time the "Vegetables" session took place, I don't think anyone in either band was spending too much time thinking about "how will this session be looked upon by people forty plus years from now".  These guys lived in the moment and at that moment in time Mr. Jardine wanted to go home to bed.  Nothing wrong with that!  Sometimes in my opinion in evaluating these situations we have to put things into perspective as to how they would've been viewed back in 1967 (or whenever) and not how we view them today. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 05:21:22 AM »

I'm always surprised by the size of Al's ego. He doesn't look at being a Beach Boy as a lucky break. If anything, he thinks they're lucky he was around to suggest "Sloop John B" (which Al first showed Brian as an infant) and sing the lead to "Help Me Rhonda". And Brian really should be performing "California Saga", Al's masterpiece, more often. Brian was lucky someone found a way to reuse his "California Girls" riff. This world is so ungrateful! Didn't Paul McCartney get that it was bedtime?!
Nicko1234
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 05:31:29 AM »

I'm always surprised by the size of Al's ego. He doesn't look at being a Beach Boy as a lucky break. If anything, he thinks they're lucky he was around to suggest "Sloop John B" (which Al first showed Brian as an infant) and sing the lead to "Help Me Rhonda". And Brian really should be performing "California Saga", Al's masterpiece, more often. Brian was lucky someone found a way to reuse his "California Girls" riff. This world is so ungrateful! Didn't Paul McCartney get that it was bedtime?!

He was asked what he thought he brought to the band. Do you really expect him to say nothing?

He praised every other member of the band so not guilty.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx