gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:45:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Dano finds sunnier side of Brian Wilson in 'Love & Mercy'  (Read 1756 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:14:05 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-critics-notebook-paul-dano-love-mercy-20140921-column.html#page=1
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »

Thanks, Ed.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »

I'm glad he's seeing Brian as childlike and playful, rather than just strung out and weird. Some of the so-called early signs of Brian's issues, such as the sandbox piano and veggie chomping recording sessions, just strike me as playful creativity.  In theater you often engage in acting games to free up the creative juices, and some of Brian's approach during the Pet Sounds and early SMiLE sessions just seem like a childlikeness coming out to play. It certainly gets weird later, with the paranoia and darkness, and but having fun during the creative process is just good for the music.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 05:39:15 AM »

I honestly never found why the sandbox piano was so "crazy" anyway.... when he explained the motive behind it, I liked the idea.
SgtTimBob
Smiley Smile Associate

Music Maker Extrodonaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:32:54 PM »

The sandbox, the tent, the fire helmets and all the rest of it make total sense for a wealthy young artist exploring creativity. You don't need to take LSD to understand that. He was just trying to push his experience and understanding in as many different ways as possible, because he was smart enough to understand that it would spill over into the music.

The drugs were obviously just another part of that. But sadly, for Brian, he had no way of knowing the long term impact it would have on his capabilities (particularly as someone with underlying mental health issues), since it was a whole new cultural frontier.

I personally like to think that he would have eventually written most of those songs without the use of marijuana and lsd. But sadly, we'll never know.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx