gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:55:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Complete Q&A: Charles Lloyd speaks, dreams  (Read 3112 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_26562217/complete-q-charles-lloyd-speaks-dreams

Q Tell me more about Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys.

A They took me on the road with them. They underwrote me for several years, because it was during the time when I wasn't traveling. But I would go out on the road with them -- and Brian, who's deaf in one ear, but has a quasi- Beethoven thing going on where he can hear around a corner. And he can write some beautiful songs. I was shocked that they had some changes in them and beautiful harmonies. I had to take them to the woodshed.

Q You're still playing them: "Caroline, No," "God Only Knows."

A There are others, too.

Q Let's go back to the chronology.

A Well, the plantation system just didn't work for me any more. Atlantic Records had blackballed me. They weren't willing to deal with me on the level. So Mike Love came around and said, "What do you need?" The Beach Boys had this big estate in Bel Air, where -- what was that guy's name? The racist guy who wrote the Tarzan books? Edgar Rice Burroughs! He had lived there at one time. There's a huge studio downstairs, and Mike Love said, "Well, fine, you can use the studio any time you want." So I'd be down there in the studio. And they'd invite me to play on some of their songs. I played on "Surf's Up" and some of the other tunes. And sometimes Brian would come down and sing harmony.

Brian Wilson is a very special guy. That guy's a visionary. And in the studio, he's amazing.

So another door opened for me. I was blackballed, but I was free. And then Roger McGuinn was another neighbor in Malibu. So I played on some of his songs, and it just happened organically, I guess.

I just kept learning from all this stuff. I remember the Beach Boys would have these rehearsals and -- it sounds terrible! And then they'd get up on stage, and it'd be angelic. So I said to my roadie one day, "Man, how does this work?" He said, "Charles, this thing is a force of nature."

Q They were into the fourth dimension, maybe.

A Once you hear music, you're never the same. We go out there exploring, and we don't come back the same.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:16:48 AM »

A Force of Nature - gotta be the title of the next compilation.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx