gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:10:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tucson Beach Boys Kerfuffle  (Read 4957 times)
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2014/09/08/rio-nuevo-board-to-pay-100000-for-a-beach-boys-concert

Rio Nuevo, a troubled and controversial governmental development district, has decided to hire Mike & Bruce. The local Alt-weekly reacted and proved better informed than average.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »

That pic is a good seven years old...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 12:54:58 PM »

That pic is a good seven years old...

So is a seven-year-old.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »

What a waste of 100,000 dollars.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »

What a kerfuffle!

Postcard From Jardine
Smiley Smile Newbie

In The Court of the Crimson Sunnies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 01:57:03 PM »

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:25:09 AM by Postcard From Jardine » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 01:59:46 PM »

Cue the hipster bitching in 3...2...1...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »

Ultra hipsters love Mike singing covers like little gto. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »

I've got to think $100K is a bit above what the Mike and Bruce band typically get for a gig, no?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 02:20:39 PM »

Just got back from checking my f*** and Wagnalls dictionary 'cause I'd never heard the word "Kerfuffle" before. Must be an Arizona term.....

Kerfuffle: A commotion or fuss, especially one caused by conflicting views. A social imbroglio or brouhaha. An organizational misunderstanding leading to accusations and defensiveness. A minor disturbance or disagreement. Smaller than a contretemps, larger than a snag, involving more people or things than a SNAFU or a stink. A problem or a altercation. Trouble, hassle or scuffle. Chaos, disturbance, out of wack, screwed up.

Also: A gathering of hipsters. Like a murder of crows or gaggle of geese. Frequently with hipsters of poor hygiene or the appearance of such due to excessive grease application.

Kerfuffle. Your SmileySmiley.net word o' the day.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 02:24:44 PM »

I've got to think $100K is a bit above what the Mike and Bruce band typically get for a gig, no?

Sure, but they also get perks from most of the places they play.

A gig at Seaworld entitles each member of the band some playtime with the dolphins, 4 chicken wings each, and a beer. You simply cannot put a price on that.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 02:31:30 PM »

Doubt it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »

Sure, but they also get perks from most of the places they play.

A gig at Seaworld entitles each member of the band some playtime with the dolphins, 4 chicken wings each, and a beer. You simply cannot put a price on that.
Correction...playtime with chickens, 4 dolphin fritters, and they all get to share absinthe.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicko1234
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 03:12:51 PM »

Why would you think that?

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »

Wow those comments under the article are pretty harsh.
Nicko1234
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 01:20:01 AM »

In lighter news the evil Mike and Bruce seem to have done some good in Kentucky at least. From Mike`s Facebook page:

Last night, in Paducah Kentucky, The Beach Boys played a sold out concert at The Carson Center. After the show we received a message –

The Beach Boys were a class act last night. From my perspective the day was very smooth and the show was great. However, their interaction with Anna Beck, the girl that you comp’d tickets to, was World Class. They included her in the show, and stayed engaged with her from the “Meet and Greet” until the lights out. In 30 years of this business I have never seen talent go out of their way for such a period of time as the Boys did, during a one off concert. Anna was expecting tickets to a concert and was given the thrill of a lifetime to take with her into her coming difficulties.
Thank you, and everyone that made last night possible for Anna and her family. I was blown away by the selflessness of the group.
Joe Searcy
Manager, The Carson Center

From the girl`s mother: That's my little girl... thank you all for making a dream come true... you are truly a class act. You've been her favorite group since she was tiny, and we still hear her sing at least one of your songs every single day. This was monumental for her at a time when she needs it the most. You are all this mommy's heroes!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:21:22 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 02:02:04 AM »

Someone named 'Andrew G. Doe' posted this in the comments:
"I wouldn't pay ten cents to see Mike Love's Not The Beach Boys, he's a disgrace and one of the most manipulative, devious, backstabbing, ego-maddened, credit-claiming, nasal-blasting, repulsive creeps in the business."

Obviously that's not AGD  Grin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:25:35 AM by Woodstock » Logged

Nicko1234
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 02:41:44 AM »

Old Surfer Dude strikes again...
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 04:53:56 AM »

Not being familiar with the economics of booking acts it seems like a lot of money. I realize there are many expenses, taxes, rights, etc. but still seems like a good amount to command for one performance. Good for them.
Nicko1234
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 07:08:32 AM »

Not being familiar with the economics of booking acts it seems like a lot of money. I realize there are many expenses, taxes, rights, etc. but still seems like a good amount to command for one performance. Good for them.

Apologies if I sounded snippy. My post wasn`t intended that way.

I think someone posted on here years ago that they`d inquired into booking Mike and Bruce and been quoted back six figures. So it makes sense that it is in that ballpark range now. Ironically some people were claiming last year that they thought Brian would be earning a lot more so presumably they thought Mike was charging too small an amount for the gigs...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »

My legal team is on the case.  Old Man

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 03:00:24 PM »

Check out some of the numbers at the bottom of this story. $100k is a bargain!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11316747
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 03:23:25 PM »

Just got back from checking my f*** and Wagnalls dictionary 'cause I'd never heard the word "Kerfuffle" before. Must be an Arizona term.....

Kerfuffle: A commotion or fuss, especially one caused by conflicting views. A social imbroglio or brouhaha. An organizational misunderstanding leading to accusations and defensiveness. A minor disturbance or disagreement. Smaller than a contretemps, larger than a snag, involving more people or things than a SNAFU or a stink. A problem or a altercation. Trouble, hassle or scuffle. Chaos, disturbance, out of wack, screwed up.

Also: A gathering of hipsters. Like a murder of crows or gaggle of geese. Frequently with hipsters of poor hygiene or the appearance of such due to excessive grease application.

Kerfuffle. Your SmileySmiley.net word o' the day.

It's just a word I hear that seemed to fit. Etymology dictionary says it's of Scottish origin, appearing changed from C to K in Canadian English circa 1930.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 04:06:58 PM »

Very familiar word round our way.

Please delete my account
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 04:58:47 PM »

Someone named 'Andrew G. Doe' posted this in the comments:
"I wouldn't pay ten cents to see Mike Love's Not The Beach Boys, he's a disgrace and one of the most manipulative, devious, backstabbing, ego-maddened, credit-claiming, nasal-blasting, repulsive creeps in the business."
If anything, AGD is a bigger fan of Mike Love than Brian Wilson at this point. Oh, he'll deny it, but I know for a fact that his ring tone is "Wrinkles".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx