gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's musical quotes  (Read 8254 times)
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 12:56:07 AM »

There is also a Phil Spector produced song that has chords similar to Heroes and Villians.

Ike & Tina's "Save The Last Dance For Me." I nearly passed out when I heard that on the radio!

To me Surf's Up groove was also borrowed from "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:57:31 AM by felipe » Logged
SBonilla
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 07:37:50 AM »

Brian pulled the verse melody from Bobby Rydell's SWINGIN SCHOOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1ZNMrV7UcE
to use on Let Us Go On This Way. He also uses the rhyme scheme of Swingin' School's second verse,
("My little chick is my hearts desire. Well, the way we kiss puts the school on fire.") for the first pre-chorus of Let Us Go On This Way.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 11:34:57 AM »

"Girl Don't Tell Me" was clearly influenced by "Ticket to Ride"

there's a line in "In Blue Hawaii" that melodically sounds just like a line in "PS I Love You"

and of course a lot of people think "Where Is She" was influenced by "She's Leaving Home" ...I'm not so sure.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 01:07:41 PM »

Not to go off topic, but Kiss borrowed the Bicycle Rider motif on "I Was Made For Loving You."
Most of the posters in this thread really need to learn how music scales and intervals work.

I assume this means you don't hear the similarity?

"Jeff, you care." --BW
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »

There are similarities but that has to do with the fact that the musical context is terribly simple for many of these examples, not that there was a conscious effort to reference anything
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 11:21:56 AM »

There are similarities but that has to do with the fact that the musical context is terribly simple for many of these examples, not that there was a conscious effort to reference anything

It's true that I doubt Paul and Gene were listening to Smiley Smile when Paul suddenly lifted the needle and exclaimed, "that spooky shape in the bass and harmony vox would make a great melody for a disco track!"  LOL

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Loves The Sunflower
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 02:50:51 AM »

This one is so miniscule that I doubt it warrants mentioning... I also don't know if it was a deliberate tip of the hat (or whose idea it was if that's the case) or just coincidence, but I can't help thinking that the sole vocal part at 3:28 on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mky-UhxUKoM

Was lifted directly from 0:16 of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDo-KqUjpA

I like to think it was intentional but that's pure speculation on my part.
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 04:19:46 AM »

It's true that I doubt Paul and Gene were listening to Smiley Smile when Paul suddenly lifted the needle and exclaimed, "that spooky shape in the bass and harmony vox would make a great melody for a disco track!"  LOL

Yes, exactly.  It is a common melody.  You can also hear it in a Madness song (forget which one--I believe on The Decline and Fall or 7), and it forms the basis of "Walls" by Crass.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2015, 05:17:56 AM »

Lifted from my other forum:

Listening to Dutch "classical" radio one morning I was struck by the similarity of the section at 3:36 in the video to the "marching band" tune in "Look (Song For Children)" from the second suite of SMiLE

It's the Cabaletta ("Vien diletto, è in ciel la luna") from Act II of Vincenzo Bellini's opera I puritani, in the version I heard this morning by Angela Gheorghiu and the LSO. See what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxrlPohhFno

It must be coincidence----unless Audree's (or Murry's) taste in music extended to opera! 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 05:18:51 AM »

Oops----wrong button.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:21:37 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2015, 05:52:18 AM »

I tend to agree that Brian USUALLY didn't merely 'lift' and rework passages and sections from someone elses's songs.  There are only so many notes on a piano.  Different octaves....yes.  Notes?  Not so many.  It's math.   Similarities are bound to occur.  Even note for note theft.  I mean NO ONE noticed My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine until after it climbed the charts?  I'll betcha dollars to donuts George didn't do THAT on purpose.  [expensive donuts]

While he may have sometimes 'played' off of his own material through reference...other examples, unless tributes or nods of the noggin, were coincidence I would think.  Like Surfer Girl and When You Wish Upon a Star.  The melody was indelibly stamped in the back of Brian's head no?  That it worked it's way out and onto vinyl was just a subconscious thing.  Although, from the get-go, it made the song perhaps a little more familiar sounding to the audience without many realizing why.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 11:08:24 AM »

TWGMTR and You Only Live Twice. Also, Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl and something by the Four Seasons that I can't recall right now ...

TWGMTR and Theme from Midnight Cowboy
Getcha Back and Hushabye
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2015, 03:48:37 PM »

"Where is She" and "She's Leaving Home".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2015, 08:26:46 PM »

remember when like 97% of "where is she" was unique from "she's leaving home" and if it weren't the beatles it never would have been brought up by anyone

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »

Brian Wilson

I like this post a lot.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2015, 09:03:05 PM »

Question: I know there were stories that God Only Knows was inspired by Brian hearing a Lovin Spoonful song, but i can't remember the details. Can anyone remember what Spoonful song was the inspiration, if it was ever named?

This article says that it's You Didn't Have To Be So Nice and says that Brian was inspired by the vocal layering. It doesn't say where it got that information though.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/beach-boys-our-top-50-hits-1.3794840

That would make sense! You Didn't Have To Be So Nice is a terrific record all around, and those vocal layers and harmonies just sent it into the stratosphere: They're not as stacked or as full as Brian's productions from that era, but that one phrase where the backing vocals overlap and "answer" the melody and at one point end on the major 7th harmony is brilliant. I can see where Brian (along with 99% of their peers in the music biz) was tuned into the singles the Spoonful was releasing in 65-66-67 up to the infamous "bust".

That's probably best described as taking a more broad cue from the feel, texture, and techniques of a record instead of a specific melody, bassline, etc. that can be pinpointed. I'd actually suggest the strong danceable shuffle feel in the drums of that record was pretty much in tune with what Brian was going for on the bigger singles of 65-66 too, only with more of a full drum kit feel than what Brian was doing in the studio for obvious reasons with the Spoonful being a self-contained 4-piece band.

Great story from John Sebastian that he told in the documentary "John Lennon's Jukebox" (highly recommended, BTW). Sebastian said someone gave him a Beatles bootleg (the Get Back sessions) where Lennon was noodling and playing various cover tunes, and he was trying to play I think it was "Daydream". He was playing along, but couldn't figure out what one of the jazzy chord changes was, to the point where Lennon finally said in frustration "Damn songwriters!".  Grin
yeah thats cuz lennon was beyond mediocre, he knew he was nowhere near brians brilliance..without george martin the beatles were nothing.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2015, 09:29:01 PM »

Question: I know there were stories that God Only Knows was inspired by Brian hearing a Lovin Spoonful song, but i can't remember the details. Can anyone remember what Spoonful song was the inspiration, if it was ever named?

This article says that it's You Didn't Have To Be So Nice and says that Brian was inspired by the vocal layering. It doesn't say where it got that information though.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/beach-boys-our-top-50-hits-1.3794840

That would make sense! You Didn't Have To Be So Nice is a terrific record all around, and those vocal layers and harmonies just sent it into the stratosphere: They're not as stacked or as full as Brian's productions from that era, but that one phrase where the backing vocals overlap and "answer" the melody and at one point end on the major 7th harmony is brilliant. I can see where Brian (along with 99% of their peers in the music biz) was tuned into the singles the Spoonful was releasing in 65-66-67 up to the infamous "bust".

That's probably best described as taking a more broad cue from the feel, texture, and techniques of a record instead of a specific melody, bassline, etc. that can be pinpointed. I'd actually suggest the strong danceable shuffle feel in the drums of that record was pretty much in tune with what Brian was going for on the bigger singles of 65-66 too, only with more of a full drum kit feel than what Brian was doing in the studio for obvious reasons with the Spoonful being a self-contained 4-piece band.

Great story from John Sebastian that he told in the documentary "John Lennon's Jukebox" (highly recommended, BTW). Sebastian said someone gave him a Beatles bootleg (the Get Back sessions) where Lennon was noodling and playing various cover tunes, and he was trying to play I think it was "Daydream". He was playing along, but couldn't figure out what one of the jazzy chord changes was, to the point where Lennon finally said in frustration "Damn songwriters!".  Grin
yeah thats cuz lennon was beyond mediocre, he knew he was nowhere near brians brilliance..without george martin the beatles were nothing.

Did I actually read that? Hmmm. Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2015, 07:24:03 AM »

"The Flight of The Bumblebee" in "Boogie Woodie".  Grin

http://beachboysforum.freeforums.org/post6623.html#p6623

SBonilla
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »

Brian got some mileage out of Laverne Baker's TWEEDLE DEE

1. Wind Chimes' bass/marimba part is very influenced by the basic instrumental riff of the song.
2. Interwoven throughout Cool Cool Water, is the 'Tweedlee tweedlee tweedlee dee' melody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ExHOoHeXRg

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx