gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:34:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking back: Notable concerts in Sioux Falls  (Read 1379 times)
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:38:49 PM »

Although The Beach Boys top the list, neither the gigs section at Bellagio 10452 nor Ian and Jon's book make mention of this concert. Interestingly, it seems that they played there one month later according to "The Beach Boys In Concert" book, although the gigs section shows Green Bay, WI. Hopefully Ian will chime in.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/news/city/2014/09/13/looking-back-notable-concerts-sioux-falls/15534817/

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 02:37:42 AM »

Two comments:

1 - Ian will be correct...

2 - newspapers are not infallible.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 04:30:42 AM »

So,
The newspaper must mean JULY 3 not JUNE 3.  As far as I can determine-the BBs played no shows between the Maharishi fiasco and the July tour with Gary Puckett and the Union Gap-except for a visit to Salt Lake City on June 15.  Now-Billboard said the BBs were to play Sioux Falls on July 3 1968 and Badman (I believe-don't have the book in front of me) also lists it. BUT.....

The July 1968 tour played some smaller markets and some gigs weren't advertised heavily.  For example-I have never seen ads for the Waterloo, IA gig or the Majestic, WI gig-but have received other proof (from people in attendance, their then Manager, etc that they took place). When compiling info for the book (and AGD's website) I looked high and low for proof of that Sioux Falls gig.  The Sioux Falls librarians searched through the local paper for the the two week period around July 3 and found nothing.  So I eventually decided it didn't happen.  BUT if some proof appears I am happy to change the listing.  One thing that threw me-in the BB tape vault they had tapes of that July tour and one live tape Alan Boyd has lists GREEN BAY, WI on the box.  Now-I have also never found a listing (Advertisement) for that show either.  But I assume Stephen Desper wrote that on the box and was there.   
So-basically if the newspaper says the Sioux Falls show happened and they seem to have some info on attendance than maybe it did happen-but it is odd that nothing was found in the 1968 newspapers.  I am almost one hundred percent sure that if it did happen then it was in july though not June.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »

Ian, many thanks for your detailed response; much appreciated.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx