gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:57:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking about writing a paper on the Boys  (Read 6359 times)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »

For my first real paper in college we have to do an 8-10 page paper (double spaced).  He was rather vague on what it has to be about, but from what he said it has to be some kind of persuasive essay.  I thinking of writing about why the BB should be taken more seriously and not just thought of a another cheesy pop band.  Do you guys think I could get 8-10 pages out of that?  I need to cite my sources, so I can't say too much that would be subjective.  Are there any books out there that would be a good source?  I could probably use some of you guys as sources as well, if you don't mind.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »

It's certainly doable. You'd need to consider your approach--cultural, musical (compositions, arrangements--basically theory based), etc., and refine the argument so it's focused. Sources for a musical perspective could certainly include Lambert's book and the music professor in one of the docs (I Just Wasn't Made For These Times?), as well as sheet music / transcriptions (the latter only if you're able to read and describe sheet music). You'd probably also want to find evidence that they are generally considered "another cheesy pop band" in the first place, though. That opinion is--I think--less prevalent than it was through the 80s and early to mid 90s. You can't really successfully write a persuasive paper on something that already is generally accepted.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »

You could also look at the way they influenced  the industry with there legal wrangling with Capital Records/ their own publishing company ect>
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:35:34 PM »

For my first real paper in college we have to do an 8-10 page paper (double spaced).  He was rather vague on what it has to be about, but from what he said it has to be some kind of persuasive essay.  I thinking of writing about why the BB should be taken more seriously and not just thought of a another cheesy pop band.  Do you guys think I could get 8-10 pages out of that?  I need to cite my sources, so I can't say too much that would be subjective.  Are there any books out there that would be a good source?  I could probably use some of you guys as sources as well, if you don't mind.

While I commend you on wanting to write on something you are passionate about, I'd be remiss not to warn you to tread carefully.  During my undergraduate days I made attempts at writing papers on BOTH The Beatles and Van Dyke Parks and neither of them turned out as I imagined them in my head.  As I moved on through my academic career, I found that writing essays on things that I was on more neutral ground about usually panned out better.  It allowed me to broach the subject matter from a more objective stance, without emotions getting involved or feeling as if I needed to move heaven and earth to get my point across.  I understand what you are writing is a persuasive essay (so was my essay on Parks) but you might want to choose the path of least resistance here and write on something that doesn't tug at your heart strings as much as this issue does.  That type of stuff is best left for places like the "Smiley" board while the work you turn into your University probably should be geared at getting you the highest marks possible.  Whatever you do choose, however I wish you the best of luck.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:19:46 AM »

For my first real paper in college we have to do an 8-10 page paper (double spaced).  He was rather vague on what it has to be about, but from what he said it has to be some kind of persuasive essay.  I thinking of writing about why the BB should be taken more seriously and not just thought of a another cheesy pop band.  Do you guys think I could get 8-10 pages out of that?  I need to cite my sources, so I can't say too much that would be subjective.  Are there any books out there that would be a good source?  I could probably use some of you guys as sources as well, if you don't mind.
Bravo for thinking about this! A page is about 250 words.  That means that number times either eight or ten pages.  There is so much to choose from.  You could trace how many TV commercials and movie sound tracks have had BB material.  Going back to the beginning of their career would be great, comparing the modes of transportation from low tech, to high tech.  You could compare the formal concert modes from the. 60's Til now.  They used to have 3 or 4 acts that were part of the scheme.  And show the ups and downs of popularity, the social evolutions in play, the constant touring and work ethic.

It is very possible to write about something about which you are passionate as long as you can be objective and stand back and look carefully at what changed over time.  And there are some very good resources: Andrew Doe, Jon Stebbins, Billy Hinche's DVD's, Desper, etc.  You could even find among those opening acts, the ones who "made it big" with BB/BW influence and being on the touring scheme, which gave them instant cred.

Oh, boy -  I'd have loved to have had that opportunity. I'm truly jealous!    LOL
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 05:07:40 PM »

The only thing I would say is actually somewhat counter to what others have said here, which is to avoid being objective if you are meant to be writing a persuasive essay.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 06:29:30 PM by rockandroll » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »

Writing a persuasive essay in an academic setting requires objective points to back up the point.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »

Writing a persuasive essay in an academic setting requires objective points to back up the point.

It requires evidence, yes, though personally I wouldn't necessarily refer to evidence as objective points. Ultimately, though, a persuasive paper means that you are taking a particular position.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:38:27 PM by rockandroll » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »

It's certainly doable. You'd need to consider your approach--cultural, musical (compositions, arrangements--basically theory based), etc., and refine the argument so it's focused. Sources for a musical perspective could certainly include Lambert's book and the music professor in one of the docs (I Just Wasn't Made For These Times?), as well as sheet music / transcriptions (the latter only if you're able to read and describe sheet music). You'd probably also want to find evidence that they are generally considered "another cheesy pop band" in the first place, though. That opinion is--I think--less prevalent than it was through the 80s and early to mid 90s. You can't really successfully write a persuasive paper on something that already is generally accepted.

Thanks for all of the responses so far!

I can't read sheet music, although I'd love to learn how.

Maybe among the older generation it is less prevalent, but I've yet to meet a person my age other than a couple of my friends that recognize the Beach Boys as a great band.  And certainly not close the supposed greatness of the Beatles.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »

I think it's fine to be biased, as long as you are aren't making absurd claims.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »

How about a persuasive on why Mike Love is not evil, but just a sentimental old sap?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »

One thing I'm having trouble with, is proving what I'm talking about.  What exactly makes a particular song more special than one from another band?  I'm sure I'll figure out some of this stuff in doing research, but still it seems difficult to explain.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »

How about a persuasive on why Mike Love is not evil, but just a sentimental old sap?

I'm not sure there would be enough sources for that.  LOL
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »

I did a similar 8-10 page paper on the Beach Boys and got a 100!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »

Hi all,

The paper sounds Amazing!!!  Go for it and write it!!!  It is great that you are able to do that. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 01:12:37 PM »

One thing I'm having trouble with, is proving what I'm talking about.  What exactly makes a particular song more special than one from another band?  I'm sure I'll figure out some of this stuff in doing research, but still it seems difficult to explain.

Value judgements like these can be difficult. Rather than think about why they are more special than another band, why not consider them special in and of themselves? Do you necessarily need to compare them to others?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 01:15:45 PM »

Drrockandroll Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 01:22:48 PM »

Drrockandroll Wink

...Almost there!  Smiley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »

If I could find my old English paper that I made a 100 on and posted it here, I bet I would fail. This was a while back and used untrustworthy sourses such as Brian Wilson's bio Wouldn't it Be Nice and Heroes and Villains. I bet there are a lot of things in there I have learned to be false since I came on this board.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 03:12:33 PM »

Not to sh*t on your idea, but if you can't cite sources that back up your thesis as a cogent--hell, a persuasive!--argument, don't write the paper. It won't end well (unless the paper is being judged on literary quality more than the research and form than the style). That said, if you have some idea of why the Beach Boys are indeed not some cheesy pop band, consider why you think that. Are your reasons purely internal / subjective ("i like the sound of their songs," "they mean a lot to me"), or is there something else you can point to that is evidence-based? Several people in this thread have tossed out approaches, maybe if you found some sources and began reading up on them, you'd find some things to help guide your angle.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »

You could definitely write a persuasive essay. Use Google Books search to find books that write glowingly about Pet Sounds or songs like "Til I Die". You can cite the opinions of esteemed critics as evidence. Mention the group's musical sophistication, perhaps referencing chord sequences in Beach Boys songs and why those chords were daring/uncommon for pop (hint, look up Frank Zappa's opinion of "Little Deuce Coupe").  Mention how they presented a natural evolution of all-American acts like the Four Freshman and Chuck Berry and are critical to the lineage of popular American music for that reason, citing modern bands that acknowledge BBs influence.  Throw in the feelings the music gives you, too, but only sparingly. You can also mention sales (one of the best in the music business) and continued demand for performances, including the Grammy 2012 performance, which shows the esteem the music industry holds the BBs in.

Thank me for the 4.0 later.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »

Kid, you have gotten enough ideas, but if you want to see what a prompt for an actual college assignment on the BB looks like, I found this assignment from a syllabus for a Humanities class that included the BB. The assignment plays off of the deep philosophical concepts of Paradise and Hell , so central to the BB.  Evidently in this class they were reading Dante as a philosophical model and base of ideas. The bottom line is you should write about some aspect of the BB that you yourself are passionate about--make a case about their art and accomplishment and historical significance that you can defend with musical (also inherently literary) evidence.  If the assignment calls for scholarly sources, many of the board members have recommended those books already. But outside sources have to support--not supply-- a central thesis that you yourself conceive of. It has to mean everything to you in order to persuade the audience (teacher and classmates).

The Professor

PS. The Professor is happy to see an educational topic arise and salutes the board members for the support of the Kid.

F. Formal Assignments. Papers
1. One paper will apply the concepts of “inferno” (as we learn from Dante) to the lives and music of one of the artists studies in the class.  In each of our artists we can trace the concept of paradise and hell as basic metaphors for joy and despair, life and death. Your paper should explore how each band in some way has experienced and written about both “paradise” and “inferno.”  We are reading only the Inferno of Dante, not his “Paradise,” so our definition of “paradise” will be based on our collective understanding of Southern California as a paradise: how is the Southland such a paradise in the mythology created by each band? This paper essentially requires focused research into something dark and tragic associated with the bands. Both Jim Morrison and Richie Valens died young and tragically, as did Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys.  Read up on the historical events appropriate to your topic; 3-5 outside sources are required for each paper; all sources must be from printed books and essays, journals, newspapers, attained through the library data bases: no Wikipedia or commercial websites unless approved by me.  This historical information and the actual lyrical content of the songs are your subjects of analysis.
Topics shared by the artists and things to listen for in songs that can help inspire your papers: Love gained, lost, hoped for. Joy, celebration of life.  Beauty, passion.  Love as a source of joy; but love leading as well to danger, fear, drugs, loss, depression, alienation, death.  Examples of songs that display this opposition: For the BB: “Fun, Fun, Fun” vs “Til I die.” For the Doors: Light my Fire vs. “Roadhouse Blues” or “The End.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 09:33:18 PM »

Good idea. You should post that here and earn a 200+ pages thread. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »

Value judgements like these can be difficult. Rather than think about why they are more special than another band, why not consider them special in and of themselves? Do you necessarily need to compare them to others?

That is a very good point.  If a song can stand on it's own merit, there's no need to compare it to songs from other bands.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 08:44:41 AM »

Thank you Mr. Cohen and the professor!!  Those posts will really help me get the ball rolling on this paper.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx