gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:23:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Board Suggestion Box, comments, suggestions, etc.  (Read 5797 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »

I like the fact that this board has people on it that really care about getting the facts right.  The Legendary AGD and John Stebbons to name two.

Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »

I like the fact that this board has people on it that really care about getting the facts right.  The Legendary AGD and John Stebbons to name two.

For a guy who really cares about getting his facts right, I'll betcha a copy of his upcoming Dennis Wilson book that he also likes his last name spelt right.  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »

I like the fact that this board has people on it that really care about getting the facts right.  The Legendary AGD and John Stebbons to name two.

Wink

I didn't say I cared!  Grin I was between jobs when I rushed through it. I'll correct it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:23:18 PM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 04:17:57 PM »

I fixed it. I hope he didn't see it  Shrug

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 04:34:55 PM »

For a guy who really cares about getting his facts right, I'll betcha a copy of his upcoming Dennis Wilson book that he also likes his last name spelt right.  Grin

If he cares about his last name, then he probably cares about his first too. Jon.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 05:04:31 PM »

I fixed it. I hope he didn't see it  Shrug

He saw it. I hear he's planning a postal party...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 06:15:27 PM »

I like the fact that this board has people on it that really care about getting the facts right.  The Legendary AGD and John Stebbins to name two. Most other boards that I've been on are just "f*** Mike " boards or believe all the myths that the Beach Boys FAQ book bust. I think that I have been pushed to do a little research before asking a question on this board.  Although,  I wasn't always sure where to go to find accurate answers,  I have since learned of AGD's website and Stebbons books, etc. I appreciate the fact that this keeps the level of topic and discussion up to high standards, but can be intimidating to new fans, or new board members that don't understand the difference between a myth and documented facts.  I am thick skinned and am still here, but maybe not so for others.  Not sure if there is a way to be more balanced in that regard. Personally,  I love this board and can't think of much I don't like.

I really like the honesty and vibe of this post, thank you for adding your voice to the discussion.

I point this out because it's been close to what I've felt about this board in general for a long time, that it is already a great place to get the facts, to get the real story, to get the input of people who have had direct contact with these situations and stories we've all read about or have had (and still have) close friendships with band members and their associates.

This, to me, is really what sets this board apart. You come here looking for information, not only do you get that but you get it in some cases directly from those people who were *there*...and if not that direct, people who know and have spoken with those people firsthand. Invaluable information, from some of the better sources in terms of history you could hope for.

I'd like the board to be thought of in that way, and if there is anything I can do to contribute and move that kind of direction forward, count me in 110%. That was my motivation behind starting this suggestion topic, it troubled me to see that the board's reputation or image was less than positive in some circles.

Mind you, if some in those circles are holding a grudge because there are facts posted here that dispute if not destroy the mythology or some other less-factual version of events past or present, then hell yeah, I'd be miffed too if I were the huckster selling my cure-all tonics from town to town only to have someone following me around blowing the whistle on my selling sugar water instead of the cure-all medicinal tonic I was hawking to the townsfolk.   Grin

But seriously, there are some very valued, appreciated, and valuable in a historical way people who choose to post here and share their experiences with fans. I think there should be a certain level of respect given them, I think what they say as firsthand participants and witnesses should be weighted more heavily overall if for not many other reasons besides the fact they were actually *there* while 99.9% of us were not, and I know that opinion of mine has upset and even offended some posters in the past but that's just how I feel having studied and researched any number of topics. When you can hear history of any kind coming from a person who was actually there, it becomes personal rather than facts on a page.

Again, anything which can be done to promote, improve, advance, etc. this board, let's talk it over.

Thanks again to everyone who has added suggestions and comments so far, your words are very much appreciated.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »

I'd tell him to treble up, sing from your heart and surge.

Maybe not in that precise order, of course...

THat's funny!  Smiley

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 09:54:01 PM »

Didn't Stephen Desper relate a story about Murry even in the later years like 1968 coming into the booth to "mix", grabbing Stephen's shoulder and squeezing it yelling "surge here!" as a key point in the song would come up?  Grin

Break Away. End of part 1, 2nd verse.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 05:54:36 AM »

I like the fact that this board has people on it that really care about getting the facts right.  The Legendary AGD and John Stebbons to name two.

For a guy who really cares about getting his facts right, I'll betcha a copy of his upcoming Dennis Wilson book that he also likes his last name spelt right.  Grin

If he cares about his last name, then he probably cares about his first too. Jon.

Wow! It's a good thing I'm not facts or spell checking  Grin

Concerning mythology,  some people might get stubborn with their opinions because they have heard the myths from the Beach Boys themselves!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:00:26 AM by Magic Transistor Radio » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx