gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:21:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cool 1963 Beach Boys Pageant Photo, Wink Martindale...and Richard Kiel RIP  (Read 10551 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 08:47:53 AM »

Just a bit more trivia, Beach Boys related. The "Teen-age Fair" or "Teen Fair" was so popular it was moved to the Palladium the year after this photo where I believe it was staged for the next years after that...but I could be wrong. As part of the promotions for the '64 event, an interview disc was recorded March 11, 1964 featuring Capitol artists the Beatles, Brian Wilson, Dick Dale...in 1964 I believe Dale was one of the headliners at the Palladium for the '64 fair. This acetate was found decades later at a flea market for 5 bucks, and has been discussed both here and on Beatles sites and forums because of its rarity, it eventually sold for just over $10,000 at auction.

Not that they needed any proof, but the Teen-Age Fair in general became something of a franchise as other areas started to stage them as well after seeing how big of a draw these LA-based events had been, and it was an example of how the teen market was being considered for its buying and spending power beyond being a novelty demographic...moving forward on the notion that "teen music" and culture was becoming more than a novelty and was actually becoming influential in a different way than it had been considered. Like a turning point, perhaps.

Noteworthy too for guitar fans was that Fender had a display booth at these fairs where they would show off their shiny new product line for all of the teens to put on their wish lists. There are photos that exist of these displays from the fairs, the sum of which from any year in the early to mid 60's could finance a nice house in terms of 2014 collector values for those 62-64 guitars and amps.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »

Just a bit more trivia, Beach Boys related. The "Teen-age Fair" or "Teen Fair" was so popular it was moved to the Palladium the year after this photo where I believe it was staged for the next years after that...but I could be wrong. As part of the promotions for the '64 event, an interview disc was recorded March 11, 1964 featuring Capitol artists the Beatles, Brian Wilson, Dick Dale...in 1964 I believe Dale was one of the headliners at the Palladium for the '64 fair. This acetate was found decades later at a flea market for 5 bucks, and has been discussed both here and on Beatles sites and forums because of its rarity, it eventually sold for just over $10,000 at auction.

Funny thing about that acetate:  I "bought" it from the guy that paid the $10K, but it only sold for $900 on Ebay. BUT, the seller claimed his assistant had destroyed it by cutting into it with some scissors while packaging it for shipment to me, and refused to deliver it, refunding my $$. 
 He listed it again about a year later, selling it for, if I remember, a couple of thousand.
As he had never shipped it to me, Ebay refused to force the sale. Or even censor the seller.  If I ever remeber the seller's name and store( and he's still in business, and I'm in CA again) I plan to accidently break some stuff for personal sattisfaction.....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »

Funny thing about that acetate:  I "bought" it from the guy that paid the $10K, but it only sold for $900 on Ebay. BUT, the seller claimed his assistant had destroyed it by cutting into it with some scissors while packaging it for shipment to me, and refused to deliver it, refunding my $$. 
 He listed it again about a year later, selling it for, if I remember, a couple of thousand.
As he had never shipped it to me, Ebay refused to force the sale. Or even censor the seller.  If I ever remeber the seller's name and store( and he's still in business, and I'm in CA again) I plan to accidently break some stuff for personal sattisfaction.....

Wow...I mean, holy cow.  Shocked It's a shame to read something like this, of course you go into a deal knowing there are unscrupulous people out there but when you hear something like this, it makes you (as in me) angry just reading it. It's a shame that Ebay has gone the way it has, too. You pay them very high fees for basically hosting the programs and codes to complete a sale, you expect some retribution if something less-than-truthful has gone down, and ultimately they didn't have your back. At least you got the refund, but that obviously wasn't the point.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »

Thanks for the picture. New to me!

Some trivia: Richard Kiel appeared in a very small role in Elvis Presley's '64 picture "Roustabout":

Damnit! I totally forgot to mention the - laughable small - Beach Boys connection. The soundtrack album to "Roustabout" pushed "Beach Boys' Concert" from the #1 spot in the album charts if memory serves me right

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx