gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:14:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bono Pays Tribute to Brian  (Read 17916 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »

it's popular to hate Bono. I have no knowledge of anything he has done for deserving the vitriol.

some people just band on the hate wagon, what can you do? Roll Eyes

Breathtaking hypocrisy, corporate arse-licking and tax-dodging on an enormous scale all spring to mind...

So, you hate a majority of musicians, then? :D

Yeah!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 11:48:10 AM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 12:11:37 PM »

"I also wanted to see Brian Wilson's house, it was supposed to have a sand pit with a piano in it…"

"…and I also wanted to bring him a Diet Coke."

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »

LOL

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »

It's funny how pretentious people have gotten in calling Bono/U2 pretentious.  Does he take himself too seriously at times? Sure. Is  he a good person and a genuine, generous man who bucks the celebrity culture stereotype. Absolutely.  It's long been "cool" to hate on him, all the while he just keeps making killer tunes with his awesome band, helping the less fortunate, and making a shitload more money than all the jealous haters.

I'm a U2 über fan and proud of it. In fact, besides BW and The Beatles, if even them,  no musicians have had the impact on my life.

I've softened on Bono lately after reading some of his usual nonsense that seemed to hint at his ability to see it as nonsense himself.  In other words, he knows, just like we know, that he's a little full of it sometimes so I'm giving him a pass for all the above reasons you stated.  It's not like the guy's out hurting people he's just saying stupid sh*t from time to time, all the while doing what he can to help people the best way he sees fit.  Can't hate on that. 

Plus he's a singer.  And he's a good singer.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 04:58:28 PM »

Bono pay tribute to Brian? Sure, but did it have to sound like Barbara-fucking Ann? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 07:03:51 PM »

it's popular to hate Bono. I have no knowledge of anything he has done for deserving the vitriol.

Breathtaking hypocrisy, corporate arse-licking and tax-dodging on an enormous scale all spring to mind...

Oh, and his band's music is sh*t.

YAWN....same old haters spiel....those things are bullshit if you're grounded in any sort of reality at all. Also, FWIW, 35 years into their career and they've made significantly less sh*t music than our beloved boys from Hawthorne. They've never made an MIU, SIP, or theme song to Problem Child.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 07:55:07 PM »

Literally everything Bono has ever done makes me hate him.

I am informed.

I am aware.

He is one of the biggest twats who ever lived.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:57 PM »

YAWN....same old haters spiel....those things are bullshit if you're grounded in any sort of reality at all. Also, FWIW, 35 years into their career and they've made significantly less sh*t music than our beloved boys from Hawthorne. They've never made an MIU, SIP, or theme song to Problem Child.

Never mind actual crimes, at least they never made bad music? What the f*** is this

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »

When did it become uncool to despise Bono? He actually surpasses the Lovester in that field. No fair.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »

Mike Love wrote plenty of decent songs. He may be a twat, but he did write the lyrics to Good Vibrations.

Bono wrote, idk, two good songs in his lifetime? And he's just a massive bellend who will never stop his faux charity platitudes.

Bono by rights shouldn't exist. He's the cartoon caricature of a socially conscious rockstar.

If he was socially conscious in any way, shape or form, he would have never have been best mates with Tony Blair.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 09:46:32 PM »

And that is your opinion, don't preach it on others.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 09:46:59 PM »

Plus, he just has the worst taste in sunglasses.

What the f***, Bono?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 09:49:22 PM »

I save my celeb-bashing vitriol for Chris Brown, that no-talent woman-beating jackass.   Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »

Never mind actual crimes, at least they never made bad music? What the f*** is this

Mass tax avoidance isn't a crime? It's certainly extremely immoral. And it certainly leaves a particularly nasty taste when it's coming from a holier-than-thou preacher like Bono.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 10:40:40 PM »

And that is your opinion, don't preach it on others.

Thud

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 11:15:46 PM »

I love many types of music, from punk to pop to rap to country and everything in between, but I must not "get" U2. I've never liked a single one of their songs.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 11:23:08 PM »

In the booklet of the new U2 album Bono says about his first time in California...

"I also wanted to see Brian Wilson's house, it was supposed to have a sand pit with a piano in it... And I loved The Beach Boys - they brought rythm for the body - melody for the mind - harmony for the spirit etc Brian sang like a girl too"

From Rolling Stone

The most joyous track on Songs of Innocence is "California (There Is No End to Love)," which unexpectedly nods to the Beach Boys in its intro.

Worth checking out. It's a nice song and the intro is an obvious tribute to The Beach Boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf6hf3iZVSQ

"California (There Is No End to Love)" - what's that supposed to mean? That Mike will never ever stop touring? Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2014, 12:11:49 AM »

I generally dont call people twats I've never met, unless they've physically harmed people or gone out their way to treat others like sh*t. I like some of U2s music, but wouldn't call myself a fan. And if i let someone's political views affect how i view their music, i never would've been a Beach Boys fan in the first place.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 12:59:11 AM »

Sunday Bloody Sunday's brilliant, and I don't mind a few of their other songs. But overall I'm not a big fan.

In light of the Bono bashing here, I wonder what thoughts are on The Edge, Clayton and Mullen Jr?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2014, 03:44:46 AM »

I love U2, I own all of their albums. The Unforgettable Fire is one of my favorite records. They aren't one of the most popular bands in the world because they make shitty music!

That being said, I think it was a lousy move on their part to release this new album the way they did. It surprises me not that people hate this band so much - for this music to automatically show up in your itunes library - it's insanely pretentious to think that every person with an Apple device wants to (or should) listen to this album. Not mention the unveiling of an 'artistic statement' being done at an Apple presentation. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

As an Apple fan, and a U2 fan, this last Tuesday was rather disappointing.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2014, 06:45:15 AM »

Hypehat....Jesus, man, you have some anger issues.

So, great enlightened and informed one, explain to me how U2 is criminal.

If it's the tax stuff, you're wrong. It wasn't evasion or anything remotely criminal. They moved their business operations in order to pay lower taxes. Criminal or smart business? 

You're an ignorant man.

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2014, 06:56:04 AM »

I love U2, I own all of their albums. The Unforgettable Fire is one of my favorite records. They aren't one of the most popular bands in the world because they make shitty music!

That being said, I think it was a lousy move on their part to release this new album the way they did. It surprises me not that people hate this band so much - for this music to automatically show up in your itunes library - it's insanely pretentious to think that every person with an Apple device wants to (or should) listen to this album. Not mention the unveiling of an 'artistic statement' being done at an Apple presentation. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Good Lord. Don't f***ing listen to it then. No one is forcing you to. In fact, Apple didn't force anyone to put the album on their devices as is being widely and falsely claimed. They purchased it for those devices and the users have the option to click to download it or not. There are millions of U2 fans that appreciate the gesture I'm sure, so why hate on them for simply inconveniencing users so much as making them NOT click to download or simply delete it? It's not that hard to not listen to it or download it while respecting that a lot of people really like free music from their favorite bands. 

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2014, 08:02:19 AM »

Good Lord. Don't f***ing listen to it then. No one is forcing you to. In fact, Apple didn't force anyone to put the album on their devices as is being widely and falsely claimed. They purchased it for those devices and the users have the option to click to download it or not. There are millions of U2 fans that appreciate the gesture I'm sure, so why hate on them for simply inconveniencing users so much as making them NOT click to download or simply delete it? It's not that hard to not listen to it or download it while respecting that a lot of people really like free music from their favorite bands. 

It is very un-Apple to inconvenience users with this stuff. For a company whose unofficial motto is "It just works" it seems rather backwards for them to make people waste their time deleting an album (song titles and album art) they possibly don't want. Making it available for free from the iTunes store (like they did with U2's Invisible in February) makes far more sense.

Anyways, I've loved what I've heard so far, and I can't wait to actually give this a good solid listen.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2014, 08:09:23 AM »

Good Lord. Don't listen to it then. No one is forcing you to. [...] It's not that hard to not listen to it or download it while respecting that a lot of people really like free music from their favorite bands. 
I absolutely, totally agree with you, Wah Wah. Wouldn't say it better myself.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx