gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:05:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bono Pays Tribute to Brian  (Read 17921 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2014, 05:48:56 PM »

In the booklet of the new U2 album Bono says about his first time in California...

"I also wanted to see Brian Wilson's house, it was supposed to have a sand pit with a piano in it... And I loved The Beach Boys - they brought rythm for the body - melody for the mind - harmony for the spirit etc Brian sang like a girl too"

From Rolling Stone

The most joyous track on Songs of Innocence is "California (There Is No End to Love)," which unexpectedly nods to the Beach Boys in its intro.

Worth checking out. It's a nice song and the intro is an obvious tribute to The Beach Boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf6hf3iZVSQ
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:16:18 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:15:52 PM »

Updated with booklet info

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:24:56 PM »

Saw the title, thought it was the famous diet coke story.  Cheesy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 11:10:35 PM »

Anyone else think Bono is one of the biggest twats on planet Earth?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:13:05 PM »

BTW. The U2 album is free for itunes account holders. Just down loaded myself.

http://fortune.com/2014/09/09/is-u2-going-freemium-with-apple-a-sign-of-whats-to-come/
Mr H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:34:26 PM »

One of?? he is the biggest!!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:06:43 AM »

I'm not the biggest U2 fan, but i don't understand the level of vitriol.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 12:21:20 AM »

it's popular to hate Bono. I have no knowledge of anything he has done for deserving the vitriol.

some people just band on the hate wagon, what can you do? Roll Eyes
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 12:43:17 AM »

Bono pays tribute to everything. I suppose it's quite nice of him in his way, but it does mean his endorsements are debased currency.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 12:57:12 AM »

I used to live in Bali and my girlfriend at the time was the honorary Irish consul in Bali. I left Bali to return to Oz just before the bombs went off in 2001. Annie stayed on and after the bomb spent a week at Denpasar hospital volunteering and to locate the 8 missing Irish nationals. It took her a while to find the last 2 who were injured and had locked themselves in their hotel room too scared to come out. Her time at Denpasar hospital was horrific and not good for the soul. About a month after the bombing she was riding her motorbike through Kuta and her phone rang, it was Bono, he had just heard what she had done and he took it upon himself to phone her and thank her for the job she did. He's a good bloke in my books!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 01:36:32 AM »

I'm not the biggest U2 fan, but i don't understand the level of vitriol.

Bono is seen as self-righteous and outspoken. Couple that with his popularity and massive income, and the fact he has been able to help more people and share his ideals with more people than most of us will ever get to....

And it seriously upsets a lot of people and causes them to spew hate in today's society for whatever reason.

He lacks the self-indulgent persona people want their celebrities to have.

Not really a fan of U2 at all, by the way. A couple songs are aiight but that's it for me.

No mas, por favor.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 05:08:10 AM »

It's funny how pretentious people have gotten in calling Bono/U2 pretentious.  Does he take himself too seriously at times? Sure. Is  he a good person and a genuine, generous man who bucks the celebrity culture stereotype. Absolutely.  It's long been "cool" to hate on him, all the while he just keeps making killer tunes with his awesome band, helping the less fortunate, and making a shitload more money than all the jealous haters.

I'm a U2 über fan and proud of it. In fact, besides BW and The Beatles, if even them,  no musicians have had the impact on my life.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 06:04:23 AM »

Bono is seen as self-righteous and outspoken. Couple that with his popularity and massive income, and the fact he has been able to help more people and share his ideals with more people than most of us will ever get to....

And it seriously upsets a lot of people and causes them to spew hate in today's society for whatever reason.

He lacks the self-indulgent persona people want their celebrities to have.

Not really a fan of U2 at all, by the way. A couple songs are aiight but that's it for me.

This pretty much sums it up for me.  People don't like Bono because he is outspoken in his beliefs and very publicly supports his views and many charitable causes.  He is the main figure in one of, if not THE most popular rock band in the world, so people and news organizations listen and broadcast what he does and says.  There are plenty of people who don't care about the same issues, or at least not as much as, and it pisses them off that he's always in the news for supporting those issues.  I'm sure that there are other reasons people dislike him, but that seems to be the main focus, at least IMO.

I don't get it, myself.  The guy uses his massive celebrity to try to make the world a better place.  The nerve!!  It only seems more pushy with him because his rich and famous and news outlets report on him.  It's not like he goes out of his way to shame people that don't support the same things that he does. You'd better believe that if I had the world listening to what I had to say, I'd champion my beliefs and ideals without much regard to whether or not other people agreed.  If you truly care passionately about something, you're going to try to share it and convince others as well.

The whole "shut up and play" idea that people have towards musicians is silly to me.  Think about the music in the late 60's and early 70's.  There was a lot of politically charged music going on and a lot of it even made the charts!  A lot of that music is still regarded today as "classic" and among the most important music ever made.  It generally comes down to the fact that people don't want to hear about ideas that aren't in line with their own.  When people got all bent out of shape in regards to the Dixie Chicks making a political statement, many of the same people didn't care when Toby Keith made political statements that supported the opposite side.  It's usually not about celebs speaking out on issues, it's more about whether or not you agree with their position.  I know that that's a general statement and not the case for everyone, but I feel like it's a true in many cases.  

Sorry, I got a bit off track.  I love early U2 through the Achtung Baby album.  After that, they get spotty for a while.  I really enjoyed their last album No Line on the Horizon, though it wasn't received well by critics and some fans.  I downloaded the new one.  I don't think it's great, but it's not bad.  Certainly worth the price.  I'm sure that Apple paid them a huge amount for this release opportunity, so I'm not naive enough to think that U2 is taking a loss with this move, but in an era where a doofus like Gene Simmons says that rock is dead because he can't figure out how to change with the times in getting people to buy his music, I'm glad that U2 are out there giving their loyal fans something for free.  Bravo, U2.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 06:26:23 AM »

I like Bono and U2.  In the 1980s and 90s I listened to them quite a bit. But it's funny that I never feel inclined to listen to my old U2 albums but I find myself playing even admittedly lesser bb albums like miu over and over. The bbs music just somehow goes much deeper emotionally.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 07:02:06 AM »

Just down loaded myself.
How did that work out for you? Where did you end up? The stuff from Star Trek is really coming to pass. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 07:06:22 AM »

It's funny how pretentious people have gotten in calling Bono/U2 pretentious.  Does he take himself too seriously at times? Sure. Is  he a good person and a genuine, generous man who bucks the celebrity culture stereotype. Absolutely.  It's long been "cool" to hate on him, all the while he just keeps making killer tunes with his awesome band, helping the less fortunate, and making a shitload more money than all the jealous haters.

I'm a U2 über fan and proud of it. In fact, besides BW and The Beatles, if even them,  no musicians have had the impact on my life.
Bono should call Mike Love, he knows a lot about how to deal with the "Cool to hate" stuff.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 07:27:52 AM »

Hey dont mess around with Bono! U2 is the greatest band after The Beach Boys, Acthung Baby is the Pet Sounds of the 90s for sonic and lyrical exploration.

And Pop was like Smile, a failed attempt to touch the sun...

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 07:45:57 AM »

One of?? he is the biggest!!!!

What an awful, awful thing to offer your new album for free on iTunes!!!!!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:13 AM »

Hey dont mess around with Bono! U2 is the greatest band after The Beach Boys, Acthung Baby is the Pet Sounds of the 90s for sonic and lyrical exploration.

I always considered Los Lobos' The Neighborhood as the 90's answer to Pet Sounds... It didn't sell as much as Achtung Baby though...
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 08:12:41 AM »

I always considered Los Lobos' The Neighborhood as the 90's answer to Pet Sounds... It didn't sell as much as Achtung Baby though...

I see the analogy with Acthung Baby in the effort to transition from their 80s pop sound to something with more depth and sonic innovation. Like Brian did moving from Today (A side specially) to Pet Sounds.

I'm actually going to start a thread about this...

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »

it's popular to hate Bono. I have no knowledge of anything he has done for deserving the vitriol.

Breathtaking hypocrisy, corporate arse-licking and tax-dodging on an enormous scale all spring to mind...

Oh, and his band's music is sh*t.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:50:48 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 10:06:49 AM »

Breathtaking hypocrisy, corporate arse-licking and tax-dodging on an enormous scale all spring to mind...

Oh, and his band's music is sh*t.

Plus all the unbearable on stage posturing during the 1980s, his Tony Blair arse licking and his belief that because he's famous his social and political views need to be shared with everyone.

If I was worth several hundred million £s I'd probably throw out an album for free eventually too.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »

Reminds me of this letter from (very funny) adult humour comic Viz:

TOP TIP OF THE DAY:
RADIOHEAD. Make £150 million, then give away an album free saying you are against the business side of the music industry.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »

So, you hate a majority of musicians, then? :D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 11:38:29 AM »

(The stuff from Star Trek is really coming to pass. Wink

But not as we know it.

Grin
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:40:38 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: