gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:41:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bono Pays Tribute to Brian  (Read 17915 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2014, 08:10:50 AM »

I've figured it out.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo is Bono.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2014, 08:16:04 AM »

I think the apex of U2's career was the song they did with Johnny Cash and it's been a steady decline for them since. (Though I liked that song they did on Letterman a few months ago).

The album is free, so I'll give it a try.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2014, 09:44:38 AM »

I took my four year old to a U2 concert. I told him not to go too near the Edge.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »

Don't push me cause I'm...close...to...the...EDGE.... I'm trying not to ....lose.... my head uhh huh huh huh

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2014, 11:17:50 AM »

Don't think Brian likes Bono telling the world Brian sang like a girl. It was an issue to Brian right?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »

I love U2, I own all of their albums. The Unforgettable Fire is one of my favorite records. They aren't one of the most popular bands in the world because they make shitty music!

That being said, I think it was a lousy move on their part to release this new album the way they did. It surprises me not that people hate this band so much - for this music to automatically show up in your itunes library - it's insanely pretentious to think that every person with an Apple device wants to (or should) listen to this album. Not mention the unveiling of an 'artistic statement' being done at an Apple presentation. The whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

As an Apple fan, and a U2 fan, this last Tuesday was rather disappointing.

Good Lord. Don't f***ing listen to it then. No one is forcing you to. In fact, Apple didn't force anyone to put the album on their devices as is being widely and falsely claimed. They purchased it for those devices and the users have the option to click to download it or not. There are millions of U2 fans that appreciate the gesture I'm sure, so why hate on them for simply inconveniencing users so much as making them NOT click to download or simply delete it? It's not that hard to not listen to it or download it while respecting that a lot of people really like free music from their favorite bands.  
Well, they kind of downloaded it automatically. While not directly to my music player, it is sitting in my own personal cloud account. Hell, I can't even put stuff there without a password, etc. There are always free tunes on iTunes, yet they never send those songs to my cloud account like they did with U2. That is my only issue.  We should decide whether we want the free music or not.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »

To me the question isn't should Bono f**k off, but how far off he should f**k...
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »

To me the question isn't should Bono f**k off, but how far off he should f**k...

It must be a sad, sad life to be so angry.

Perhaps you and HypeHat can wallow in your pathetic misery together?

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2014, 09:59:40 PM »

I love many types of music, from punk to pop to rap to country and everything in between, but I must not "get" U2. I've never liked a single one of their songs.

In the early 90's, they went through this period where they were almost making fun of themselves and overdoing it, it was fucking AWESOME, get Zooropa and get "Pop".  Both great albums with lots of good music on them, nothing pretentious just really great sounding stuff. 

I really liked Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree too, they were a little more serious of course but there's nothing wrong with that.  You've probably heard all of those, but the Zoo T.V. stuff was pretty good and different than what you might expect. 
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2014, 11:40:26 PM »

Haha. Get a sense of humour, you boring stiff!

http://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2014/sep/10/ten-things-to-do-with-unwanted-u2-free-album-apple?CMP=fb_gu
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:08:25 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2014, 12:29:24 AM »

Haha. Get a sense of humour, you boring stiff!

I bet he high-fived himself when he wrote that.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2014, 05:54:24 AM »

I have not heard any of this new one yet, but they are okay.  I read it's free for everybody - will give a listen soon.  The last couple of albums had some great tracks.  The mid-to-late-'80's were boring (and way to serious).  But > Ron is right about the early-to-mid-'90's.  The Achtung Baby/Zoo TV/Pop period was a hoot!  Had many chances to see them, but only did once.  The POP MART tour 1996, in Oakland, CA.  Fantastic!  Bought the DVD too.  As an added bonus, Oasis was the co-headliner.
oh, wait...nobody around here likes them much either.  nevermind.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2014, 11:46:03 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/13/has-rocknroll-sold-out-u2-apple-stunt
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2014, 06:18:23 PM »

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....The guardian? Really? Hahahahahaha. What a joke of a link.

The first paragraph says it all when it blames the Apple/U2 deal for devaluing the music album. Apple may well have done that, but it wasn't last Tuesday, it was 10 years ago when they created iTunes.

Using the Guardian to strengthen your argument of distaste for anything is a weak-ass move.

So much anger. Sad little Disney Boy.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2014, 06:36:36 PM »

So much anger.

I know, right? I've never seen someone so angrily post a link before.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2014, 07:08:30 PM »

So much anger.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »

So much anger.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion.

You're right. What I should be doing is personally insulting other board members for disagreeing with me.
You have so much to teach me.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:11 PM »

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....The guardian? Really? Hahahahahaha. What a joke of a link.

The first paragraph says it all when it blames the Apple/U2 deal for devaluing the music album. Apple may well have done that, but it wasn't last Tuesday, it was 10 years ago when they created iTunes.

Using the Guardian to strengthen your argument of distaste for anything is a weak-ass move.

So much anger. Sad little Disney Boy.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/11/u2-songs-of-innocence-review
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2014, 04:35:05 AM »

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:39:30 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2014, 04:38:06 AM »

Don't think Brian likes Bono telling the world Brian sang like a girl. It was an issue to Brian right?
Brian himself said in a documentary that sometimes he sings (or rather sang) like a man and sometimes like a girl (probably referring to "Surfer Girl").   

As for Bono, he describes the voice he uses on songs like "Lemon" as his "fat lady voice".

Maybe Brian's team sees it as an issue... 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:44:32 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx