gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:05:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 5341 times)
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2014, 04:08:37 AM »

Feel like introducing myself to this wonderful community!

My name's Peter. 23 yrs old. Born, raised, & still living in San Francisco. Always loved the Beach Boys. First time i really got into 'em was when i bought the Sounds of Summer cd about 10 yrs ago (hell, it probably was exactly 10 yrs ago or not long after it came out, since that cd was released in June of '03). My brother thought I should get Pet Sounds since that was considered the masterwork of The Beach Boys. I went for the compilation tho, cause why turn down one disc of 30 various hits? I luv that aspect of discovery with comps. The song that really caught my ear on it was Getcha Back. Damn, that tune set me off. Made me want to buy the '85 album that it came from, which i eventually did & came to love.  

I had a vague familiarity w/ Brian Wilson. My father had seen him in '99. Said he seemed kind of aloof. I seem to remember discussing B.W. w/ him one time & him mentioning the craziness of his life, the mental illness & his controlling therapist. He was quite excited when Smile was released in '04. He played it quite often. I remember thinking what eccentric but enchanting music it was (& oh what rapture i felt listening to this "other" version of Good Vibrations). I really got into it myself. Funny, i had no idea who Van Dyke Parks was, but i got the impression that he was some young hipster collaborator.

A few yrs later, I discovered a song that B.W. had done w/ Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac (my other favourite band). It was that Usher version of He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move. It was on youtube, where i subsequently discovered some other hidden gems like Mike Love's awesome song Tricia and the Paley Sessions (which i thought were from the '70s). Then I bought the B.W. '88 album, listened to Sweet Insanity, & fell in fucking luv. Let's Go to Heaven In My Car is my fav. B.W. song, btw Grin

Got to see the Boys in Berkeley in 2012 w/ my father (who wondered if B.W. would be there). Damn good show. Here's a pic i took

So, here I am. Sharing my story w/ all you other awesome fans. Luv this board & i can't wait to see Love & Mercy!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:19:47 PM by Ghost_of_Dr._Landy » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:52:05 AM »

Welcome!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:33:58 AM »

GhostofLandy, welcome to the Bay Area Beach Boys Fan contingent. I live in the Sillycon Valley. I was also at the Berkeley C50 concert that you attended. It was a highlight of my Beach Boys fandom career, which goes back to 1970. There are quite a few fans in Northern (and Central) Cali that have been around a long time. You and your Dad are in good company here.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »

Welcome GhostOfLandy and thanks for sharing those awesome pictures!

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 04:18:43 PM »

Welcome, great to have you here.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx