gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:34:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Charles Lloyd - Waves  (Read 2975 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: September 08, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »

For those who haven't got the tracks the BB are on, the whole album is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRL4z6ADQQ
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:36:07 PM »

For me, this is a real find - or at least, the song TM is. It's a really great to have some lovely BB vocals on a fresh new song that I can't get out of my head. The only thing I thought I knew about Charles Lloyd previously was that he was "Mike Love's flute player", which is not a promising CV entry. It's only just now that I've become alert to the fact that it's him on Feel Flows - for me the association was with Celebration and the MIU Album.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:13:18 PM »

TM is gorgeous, and to my ears drenched in a Beach Boys style of the kind I'd love to have heard more of.

I know there were other collaborations with ChRles Lloyd that, not having made it to CD, are currently lost in time. Anyone know whether they were of the same standard as TM*?

* TM is also one of the very very few songs that is unlikely to ever be abbreviated for the sale of speedy typing. Just thought I'd say…

“We live in divisive times.”
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 12:02:39 AM »

TM is gorgeous, and to my ears drenched in a Beach Boys style of the kind I'd love to have heard more of.

Yes, very much. One of the things that really strikes me on listening to it is that the BBs were selling them short in trying to go for a grittier sound on Carl & The Passions especially, when TM at least points to a style they could have pursued which had contemporary relevance, while making something of what remained their strongest selling point, namely their vocal harmonies. It would seem though that having Chaplin and Fataar on board inspired them to take a different approach which didn't entirely work, commercially or artistically.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:05:31 AM »

TM is also one of the very very few songs that is unlikely to ever be abbreviated for the sale of speedy typing. Just thought I'd say…

I'm from Australia, where we take abbreviation very seriously. Our most famous sports venue is called the Melbourne Cricket Ground, which is formally abbreviated to "the MCG". However, this isn't enough for Australians, who have come to refer to it simply as "the G". From now on, I'm going to refer to this song as "T".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 12:07:53 AM »

TM is also one of the very very few songs that is unlikely to ever be abbreviated for the sale of speedy typing. Just thought I'd say…

I'm from Australia, where we take abbreviation very seriously. Our most famous sports venue is called the Melbourne Cricket Ground, which is formally abbreviated to "the MCG". However, this isn't enough for Australians, who have come to refer to it simply as "the G". From now on, I'm going to refer to this song as "T".

Smiley
And henceforth you shall be known as "The B"!

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 01:44:03 AM »

not the best song IMO but always nice to hear the boys on something new (at least for me)

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 01:49:24 AM »

Yes, very much. One of the things that really strikes me on listening to it is that the BBs were selling them short in trying to go for a grittier sound on Carl & The Passions especially, when TM at least points to a style they could have pursued which had contemporary relevance, while making something of what remained their strongest selling point, namely their vocal harmonies. It would seem though that having Chaplin and Fataar on board inspired them to take a different approach which didn't entirely work, commercially or artistically.

Yet I and many others loved the grittiness of CATP and think that was a missed opportunity too, in that it wasn't taken further.

With a band with a varied output, I think there has always been capacity for multiple styles at any one time, each balancing the other.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 02:02:07 AM »

Don't forget Mike on Rishikesh.

And on Warm Waters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0HBok8LMKI

And How Sweet, which isn't on YouTube. Yet.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:49:17 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 08:51:20 PM »

That didn't strike me as obvious when I was in A recently. Or should I say O?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 09:16:09 PM »

Yet I and many others loved the grittiness of CATP and think that was a missed opportunity too, in that it wasn't taken further.

With a band with a varied output, I think there has always been capacity for multiple styles at any one time, each balancing the other.

I think CATP is a pretty balanced album. There's the hard rocking songs by Brian (which is a pretty unusual thing to say in context of the group), Ricky and Blondie's two bluesier, soulful songs, Dennis' piano and string-centered ballads, a song that wouldn't sound out of place in a Southern Methodist church, and "All This Is That", which is one of the calmest, most mellow tracks they've ever recorded.

Although I think that even the lighter songs sound gritty - Dennis' vocals for instance are very raw.

Either way, great material.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx