gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681006 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 07:32:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: some Roy Orbison help  (Read 3781 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2006, 10:15:41 PM »

i only know his greatest hits...and i love the song crying, it's sooo gorgous! what cds should i pick up?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 10:26:49 PM »

My favorite song of his is "Running Scared". 
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 02:07:11 AM »

what cds should i pick up?

There are a number of Orbison compilations.  Beware that many are re-recorded hits.  The re-recordings that I have heard are actually quite good, but they are not, of course,  the original hits.  'For the Lonely' (Rhino 71493) contains the original hits.  There is a new 'Essential Roy Orbison'  but it appears that here again,  some of the original versions of songs (like "Running Scared" and "In Dreams") are missing.  I am sure it is quite good though.
A 'Black and White Night'  (now re-mastered) is an excellent later period video of a star-studded live date (with Springsteen as musical director, Tom Waits, T-Bone Burnett, James Burton,  Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt etc.)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 06:27:27 AM »

His last album is great, it's called "Mystery girl", and also the Black & hite night, as mentioned, is a must. You should also get a Sun-Records-CD by Big O. That stuff is cool...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 07:08:28 AM »

Personally, I prefer the re-recorded hits as perverse as that sounds! Despite the fact the his voice wasn't quite as perfect as in the early days (but damn close), there is a warmth and maturity to it that really benefits the emotions of the songs. Sort of like Brian's reinterpretation of the "SMiLE" tracks, but even more affecting since Orbison retained most of his range. Orbison's greatness comes mostly from the singles (as opposed to albums), but the posthumously released "Mystery Girl" is brilliant. I'm a fan of U2, but after hearing Orbison sing the Bono/Edge-penned "She's A Mystery To Me", I wish the big "O" had been the lead vocalist on all of the band's material! The "King of Hearts" collection features outtakes from the "Mystery Girl" sessions among other tracks recorded in the 80s and is a great listen as well.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 05:23:51 PM »

Yeah, that "She's a mystery to me" is a motherf**ker.  Good point about him singing U2 songs, too. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx