gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680872 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:06:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs Or Albums That Eventually Grew On You  (Read 10502 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »

I'm still not convinced that David Leaf is actually a Beach Boys fan.

He seems to have a barely-concealed grievance with every single member of the band bar Brian.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 12:30:52 PM »

That puts it kindly to say the very least. I think his printed bile has done much to ruin the whole experience of the Beach Boys...meaning more than "just Brian's group" or "Brian and the no-talents."

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »

Friends & Pacific Ocean Blue
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »

Getcha Back grew on me after I finally got over it having an "80's sound".  (I really don't like most 80's music.)

Conversely, I "grew out of" Holland.  It just kind of bores me, and I always find myself wishing I was listening to another BB's album.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 02:33:08 PM »

There's several, but the one that comes to mind immediately is Steamboat. I first heard it around 1994 or so, didn't "get it" until maybe 2010 or 11.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »

David Leaf did not write the liner notes for Holland. He was one of the first positive reviewers of Pacific Ocean Blue.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 10:18:50 PM »

David Leaf did not write the liner notes for Holland. He was one of the first positive reviewers of Pacific Ocean Blue.

Yeah, I didn't say David wrote the liner notes for Holland. T'was Scott McCaughey.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »

Yeah, I didn't say David wrote the liner notes for Holland. T'was Scott McCaughey.

And don't forget Tom Petty's backhanded "appreciation" in the same booklet.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 06:01:31 PM »

Grew on me after a while:
Heads You Win, Tales I Lose
Noble Surfer
In The Parking Lot
Finders Keepers
Where Has Love Been
Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long
Transcendental Meditation
Pacific Ocean Blues
Looking Back With Love
First Love
How She Boogled it
Don't Back Down
Steamboat
The Girl From New York City
Blueberry Hill
When Girls Get Together
Talk to Me
At My Window
Hold on Dear Brother
Sunshine
Don't Go Near the Water
Leaving the Town
Summer of Love
Good Time
Take a Load off Your Feet
Rock and Roll to the Rescue
Sumahama
East Meets West
Nothing But Love
It's Trying to Say
Oh Darling
Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight
South America
The whole 1985 album

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 08:11:59 PM »

Finders Keepers
Where Has Love Been
Steamboat
Blueberry Hill
When Girls Get Together
Sumahama
Oh Darling
South America
Agree with these. Deleted the ones that I liked immediately ("At My Window") & others that didn't grow on me at all (e.g. "Talk to Me").

It's Trying to Say
It may well be my favorite AC tune. What's about it you found complex to get into?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 08:16:59 AM »

For me, it was Baby Blue. I first had to get over the critical slams L.A. got.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:20:32 AM by Joel Goldenberg » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 10:17:34 AM »

The golden age of my BBs obsessiveness was around 1988 to 1991, between the ages of 17 and 20. A couple of years ago I found myself revisiting everything as I went on a mission to collect everything on vinyl both as original pressings and the best quality reissues. I think the one and only song I'd really changed my mind about was Pom Pom Playgirl, which the first time around I thought a terrible song. Now I just think it's got terrible lyrics.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 10:22:28 AM »

Salt Lake City, that one REALLY grew up on me. Specially after hearing the instrumental version.

Albums: BBs 85. I wonder if it's gonna happen with Party!, I don't like it at all.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 10:24:51 AM »

The golden age of my BBs obsessiveness was around 1988 to 1991, between the ages of 17 and 20. A couple of years ago I found myself revisiting everything as I went on a mission to collect everything on vinyl both as original pressings and the best quality reissues. I think the one and only song I'd really changed my mind about was Pom Pom Playgirl, which the first time around I thought a terrible song. Now I just think it's got terrible lyrics.

You kidding? Mike's lyrics are great!

She doesn't even know why she's waving her hands/
She's just thinking 'bout the boys sitting up in the stands

She's a doll and she knows it and she thinks her face/
Can get her anyone and anything in any place

Brilliant, and they fit the music and melody to perfection!!
Firemellow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »

Smiley, and nothing else comes close.

First time I heard Pet Sounds, I was in my first year at the Uni. It just resonated with where I was at the time.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2014, 03:12:34 PM »

Finders Keepers
Where Has Love Been
Steamboat
Blueberry Hill
When Girls Get Together
Sumahama
Oh Darling
South America
Agree with these. Deleted the ones that I liked immediately ("At My Window") & others that didn't grow on me at all (e.g. "Talk to Me").

It's Trying to Say
It may well be my favorite AC tune. What's about it you found complex to get into?
I think it was the fact that the rest of Adult Child had either songs id heard on the boxset before (H.E.L.P., Games, Still Dream, It's Over) or the "infamous" big band tunes, early Shortenin Bread, Tomboy, & Everybody Wants to Live....so stuff like Life is for the Living, Deep Purple, and the titles I just mentioned were peaked my interest...before possessing an AC boot, i hadn't heard of It's Trying to Say or Lines...so the songs I had heard of from liner notes, books, bios had really intrigued me and I wanted to hear them asap. You know, you read about Brian's health obsessions and he didn't write too many songs in the late 70s, Life is for the Living really interested me...I'd always heard about Brian's "cigarette song" (everybody wants to live) and I obviously had to hear it!

So since I hadn't heard of It's Trying to Say and so I wasn't as interested....but i never hated the song, I just wasn't as interested. But listening over and over, the lyric is so appropriate for Dennis, I love his and the backing vocals, and I just love the beginning lyric, it's so "everyday Brian," I often think about those lyrics as I do normal average everyday things.
So I guess I'm saying I thought the song was ok from the beginning, but over time, it's made its way to one of my top favorite unreleased BB tunes.   

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »

Smiley Smile, ESPECIALLY after it was released in stereo.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »

Beach Boys (85) weirdly grew on me the other night while I was filling out college applications.  Something about how memorable some of the songs are and how I can easily sing along with them.  Granted, it's no where near an artistic venture as Love You was, but it still has that enjoyable synthy feeling to it.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2014, 01:34:41 AM »

When I first heard Endless Summer I thought "The Warmth of the Sun" and "In My Room" sounded like dirges compared to the ballads on Pet Sounds. Didn't take long to change my mind though. 

The only other example I can think of is "Break Away" which I initially thought was a nothing song. Now one of my favourites.

Please delete my account
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2014, 06:30:50 PM »

I have to say after listening obsessively to these guys for decades, that that nearly every album has eventually grown on me.  It seems I'm constantly rediscovering and hearing nuances, hearing layers of sound I missed along the way.  Especially on albums I had neglected having prematurely decided were of inferior quality.    currently?  I'm finding audio gems,albeit semi precious, on albums such as 15 big ones, KTSA, LA, and such.   Increased Access to backing tracks and vocals only tracks over the past couple of decades has sharpened my appreciation of tunes I hadn't fully appreciated.   go back and listen to the intro to Blueberry hill and then listen again for the sax duets in the background later in the song....
.......that is a nice but easily missed detail that highlights Brian's production and arrangement talent of  a particular era..
Also, just today, I noticed a striking similarity between guitar progressions on Little Girl IOK and Trombone Dixie....
Constant new stuff to be appreciated and rediscovered for the first time.   this music is a well that does not go dry.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »

The only song that grew on me is Long Promised Road. That is, I disliked "When Girls Get Together" on KTSA, but really liked it in the context of the so-called "Landlocked" boot.

Pet Sounds and Sunflower did grow a little bit, but only from a high niveau to a slightly higher one. SD/SN grew when I found me a track sequence that works better with me.

Despite endless tries, the Reilly era albums and Love You never grew on me. Just can't connect with those.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2014, 03:04:16 AM »

Micha, I recommend you grow a really thick beard and walk around in a bathrobe for a couple of weeks. Picking up a smoking habit might be helpful as well.

All in the name of getting in the right mood for Love You.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2014, 03:23:30 AM »

Not to be keen on LY isn't a big loss. Don't listen to these advices, Micha, I'm sure you'll eventually grow on liking it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2014, 04:00:46 AM »

Some of Your Love is going round in my head.  I didn't care for it before.  Now, suddenly, I guess I do, or did already subconsciously.

I still have trouble with BB85.   I stall at the strong 80s production.  It sounds more generically '80s than it does Beach Boys.  The first time I listened to it, which was in this century, it felt like a trip down memory lane, despite the fact I hadn't heard any of the tracks before (barring Getcha Back).

After many years, Santa Ana Winds hit me big time, inexplicably.  A 'road to Damascus' type thing.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2014, 12:34:03 PM »

Several songs on BB85 - 'It's Gettin' Late', 'Maybe I Don't Know', 'Where I Belong', 'I'm So Lonely' and 'It's Just A Matter of Time' - saved the album from never getting listened to for me. When I first got the album in 2000, I retched at the bad production and cheesy songs, but I really started to like these songs - and only these 5 songs. I still think the rest of the album belongs in the trash.

I used to ignore 'Love Surrounds Me' and 'Angel Come Home' on LA because I though they were dull as hell. Now I think they're pretty damn good.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx