gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:03:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs Or Albums That Eventually Grew On You  (Read 10464 times)
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:08:27 AM »

Do you have some songs or albums that took a while for you to be able to fully enjoy them? For instance I knew about Pet Sounds for a long time, but I didn't see its greatness. A few years later I listened to it again and I loved it. As far as songs go, I used to think that Be With Me was boring. I'm listening to it right now and I finally can see its greatness.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:51:27 AM »

Holland, for the longest time.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »

I didn't like BB85 for the longest time (except for Getcha Back which I always loved). My biggest problem with the album was the production. After ignoring it for about 20 years I finally find myself enjoying it (including the synthy production). 'Crack At Your Love' found itself in my regular BB playlists. I'm wondering if Party will ever kick my ass, because it's the only BB album from the 60s I don't particularly care for (except for the awesome packaging...my copy still has the cut-out cards intact).

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:38:17 AM »

I gotta admit that Pet Sounds took a long time for me to get into.  It wasn't until I heard the stereo mix that I could fully appreciate the depth of the arrangements, and it's been a favorite of mine ever since.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:31:55 AM »

Love You----and it hasn't finished growing on me yet. So this post is perhaps a trifle premature...

That said, things are now looking really promising, thanks in part to this board. :=) 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 12:05:34 PM »

Love You and especially Smiley Smile. Love 'em both a lot now.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »

LA, KTSA, BB85, SIP
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 12:23:36 PM »

As an adult, everything other than Brian Wilson's Pet Sounds through Surf's Up output took me a while to appreciate, because in adulthood I came to the Beach Boys as if there were a secret genius hiding in plain sight amongst the cheesiest band on the planet. That was my mindset. So I read about Pet Sounds, bought, and loved it. I read about Smile, found the various parts of it that were around in the late '90s, and worshipped it. As I did so, I learned more about Wilson's music, his style, and found his other music of that period impressive.

But the rest of it--either his music from earlier and later or the other guys' from anytime--took a lot longer to appreciate and love. For the earlier music, the problem was the aforementioned bias. I was spending far too much time being hipster-cool and far too little listening and just enjoying. For the other guys' stuff, the problem for me was that I was listening to it for Brian Wilson, having not really learned to listen for the good in what I was hearing rather than looking for what I wanted to hear. (This new approach has actually brought me tremendous pleasure from an enormous amount of music: simply listening to music on its terms.)

So from "I Get Around" to "It's OK" to "Surfer Girl" to "Slip On Through," pretty much everything except Brian Wilson in that sliver of time took me a while.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 12:46:27 PM »

I must admit that it took me a long time to appreciate friends and holland. I still don't appreciate bb85 or ktsa
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 01:09:30 PM »

It took a good long time for me to fall in love with 'Shut Down Vol. 2,' but after repeated listens I finally began to really appreciate it.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 01:10:30 PM »

Just about every album has at least one song that has grown on me. As albums, Wild Honey, Friends and Love You have grown on me to where I like them even more than Pet Sounds.  Holland and Smiley are up there as well. I don't dislike KTSA or 85 as much as I used to.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »

Beach Boys: None, I like(d) every song they ever did to some extent.

Non-Beach Boys: Growing up, my parents used to play Frank Sinatra records which I didn't "get". I remember watching one of his TV specials and saying to my Mom and Dad, "What's so great about this guy?" Boy, was I a jerk.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:28:18 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 02:36:08 PM »

The Beach Boys stuff I love - pretty much everything from '63-73, plus Love You, LA and '85 - I liked on first listen and have liked ever since. I find their music pretty immediate, I haven't had to really let any of it grow on me because I find I've liked it from the first listen. The stuff that hasn't had that effect on me - MIU or KTSA - I still don't particularly rate.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »

I remember being very disappointed when I first bought the SS/WH 2-fer back in the 90's upon first listen. Within a few days of repeated listenings, it became my most played cd for a while ("duh!" to self). There are still a few songs on WH that I just don't get ("A Thing Or Two", "How She Boogalooed It" and even the title track come to mind).

I really didn't get Love You when I first heard it but it also became one of my favorite albums. Same with Pet Sounds, Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions, etc. This music grows on you and then never goes away.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 04:47:43 PM »

Friends and Love You
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 08:24:36 PM »

Holland and CATP

One day they both just seemed to click with me

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »

Unlike Friends or Love You, Wild Honey took me a long time to appreciate. It's now one of my favorites.

Can't get into KTSA and don't plan to.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 01:22:36 AM »

I remember being very disappointed when I first bought the SS/WH 2-fer back in the 90's upon first listen. Within a few days of repeated listenings, it became my most played cd for a while ("duh!" to self). There are still a few songs on WH that I just don't get ("A Thing Or Two", "How She Boogalooed It" and even the title track come to mind).

I really didn't get Love You when I first heard it but it also became one of my favorite albums. Same with Pet Sounds, Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions, etc. This music grows on you and then never goes away.

See, it took one listen to the SS/WH two-fer - which I'd bought on a whim, having been taken by the amazing cover art - to convert me to a BB super-fan pretty much overnight. I distinctly remember sitting listening to Vegetables, then Falls Breaks..., then She's Goin' Bald, and loving what I was hearing more and more with every passing minute.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 04:14:49 AM »

Marcella and a Wild Honey spring to mind

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 04:38:26 AM »

I think the SS/WH twofer suffers from bad liner notes totally downplaying the music's overall brilliance.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 04:55:29 AM »

I think the SS/WH twofer suffers from bad liner notes totally downplaying the music's overall brilliance.
Wow, funny you mention that. Couldn't agree more!

I've often thought many of the late 60s/early 70s twofers had substandard liner notes, but Smiley Smile/Wild Honey has to be one of the worst offenders. There are a number of negative asides regarding the songs and production, and how far short they fall of the high standards of Pet Sounds etc. I feel almost like they're apologizing to me for having sold me the music.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 07:29:16 AM »

When I first heard Marcella on the Vol 3 of Greatest Hits (best of the Brother Years), I didn't instantly love it...it sounded really odd and weird to me, especially after Til I Die and Surf's Up...but after hearing a live version, and listening to the "one arm over my shoulder" section a few times, I started to love it!

To be continued....

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 08:39:30 AM »

I've often thought many of the late 60s/early 70s twofers had substandard liner notes, but Smiley Smile/Wild Honey has to be one of the worst offenders. There are a number of negative asides regarding the songs and production, and how far short they fall of the high standards of Pet Sounds etc. I feel almost like they're apologizing to me for having sold me the music.

Agreed! David Leaf-penned if I remember rightly? Very annoying. The dismissal of Mt Vernon in the Holland sleeve notes grates on me as well... Imagine buying a Beatles CD and having liner notes which belittle the music.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 08:55:44 AM »

I'm still not convinced that David Leaf is actually a Beach Boys fan.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 09:08:41 AM »

I guess I saw it differently.  I thought it was just being honest.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx