gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:51:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Perfect Still Cruisin' Album  (Read 7161 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 08:05:06 PM »

And furthermore...I'll echo a statement I made a long time ago here: Capitol should take all the then-new "Still Cruisin" album and SIP album, combine it all on one CD and put it out there. Hell, call it "Kokomo Deluxe" or whatever. The point is ALL commercially released Beach Boys material should be available. Good, bad or ugly. It makes no difference. If it was out then, it should be out now.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 11:42:09 PM »

Still Crusin' definitely needs to lose the oldies.  The main song I'd add would be Chasin' the Sky.  And it would be fine with me to leave off BW's uninspiring In My Car.  And since we are talking about an album that epitomizes the BBs lack of cohesive artistic integrity at the time as far as coming up with an entire album of new material is concerned, on a serious note I'd love to see Chasin' the Sky released on an official BBs compilation.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 11:59:16 PM »

Does anyone have any insight on why "Chasin' the Sky" wasn't included on Still Cruisin' (or any other comp for that matter)? I figure it either has to do with rights issues/money or the band not really liking it. Or both. It's just bizarre how Still Cruisin' omits that tune, in place of the zillionth reissues of the 60s oldies.
Nicko1234
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 02:35:05 AM »

Does anyone have any insight on why "Chasin' the Sky" wasn't included on Still Cruisin' (or any other comp for that matter)? I figure it either has to do with rights issues/money or the band not really liking it. Or both. It's just bizarre how Still Cruisin' omits that tune, in place of the zillionth reissues of the 60s oldies.

You are right.

Carl stated it was because it was on a different record label so they couldn`t include it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »

You are right.

Carl stated it was because it was on a different record label so they couldn`t include it.

Interesting... was this in an interview at the time of the album's release?
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »

"Chasin' the Sky", a decent song, was about 6 years old by the time STILL CRUISIN' was assembled. Of course the irony is that the oldies at the end of the record were already 20 years old or older. It still ticks me off that they did not use worthy cuts like "Sky", "The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll" and "Let's Go to Heaven in My Car." Bottom line is The Beach Boys and Capitol did not have enough confidence to make STILL CRUISIN' all (relatively) new, further irony that such an album would have been a *** LP. IMO.

Historical note- I think STILL CRUISIN' and STEEL WHEELS came out the same day. I could be off, but it was close.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 03:38:19 PM »

One month apart: STILL CRUISIN' 8-29-89   STEEL WHEELS 9-29-89

In the immortal words of Robert Christgau: "Everything rocks and nothing ever dies."
Nicko1234
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »

You are right.

Interesting... was this in an interview at the time of the album's release?

Yes.

You may be able to find it on this board if you use the search function.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 11:57:57 PM »

"Chasin' the Sky", a decent song, was about 6 years old by the time STILL CRUISIN' was assembled. Of course the irony is that the oldies at the end of the record were already 20 years old or older. It still ticks me off that they did not use worthy cuts like "Sky", "The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll" and "Let's Go to Heaven in My Car." Bottom line is The Beach Boys and Capitol did not have enough confidence to make STILL CRUISIN' all (relatively) new, further irony that such an album would have been a *** LP. IMO.

Historical note- I think STILL CRUISIN' and STEEL WHEELS came out the same day. I could be off, but it was close.

And yet it sold really well!!! Another missed opportunity... Any album with Kokomo on was always going to sell well at this point - they should therefore have really strove to make the album excellent, rather than barely-passable as it instead was.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 03:05:54 AM »

Here's the thread w/ that Carl interview http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15607.msg369050.html#msg369050

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 10:35:04 PM »

"Chasin' the Sky" is so bad, that I'm amazed that anyone would actually like that garbage.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 10:40:07 PM »

"Chasin' the Sky" is so bad, that I'm amazed that anyone would actually like that garbage.

That song suxx so much.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 11:05:29 PM »

Oh RangeRover, what're we gonna do w/ ya? Lol.

I luv Chasin' the Sky. Those intricate Beach Boys harmonies layered upon a passionate hard rock melody, w/ lyrics full of coming-of-age wonderment..."chasing the sky. waiting for my ship to come in" It's perfectly placed in the film Up the Creek, in a scene where a group of young guys are driving along to their destination...they're chasin' the sky  Wink

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 11:11:35 PM »

passionate hard rock melody
I never favor a song because it's "passionate".

w/ lyrics full of coming-of-age wonderment..."chasing the sky. waiting for my ship to come in"
Nice, but I don't listen to a song for lyrics. Never saw that film.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 11:57:18 PM »

I luv Chasin' the Sky. Those intricate Beach Boys harmonies layered upon a passionate hard rock melody, w/ lyrics full of coming-of-age wonderment..."chasing the sky. waiting for my ship to come in" It's perfectly placed in the film Up the Creek, in a scene where a group of young guys are driving along to their destination...they're chasin' the sky  Wink

Definitely better than average 80's & 90's BB. I sometimes wonder if Dennis had ever heard it or not... Interesting chord progression and very descent guitar solo. Strong lead vocal from Carl. It at least deserves to still be in print somehow.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 06:55:00 AM »

"Chasin' The Sky" is another vapid '80s BB song. Besides Brian's stuff and some Carl solo songs, the band was shockingly incapable of putting any real depth in their songwriting. I don't think Dennis would've been impressed. God bless Carl, but I find it sad to hear him singing this stuff, or even writing songs like "Keepin' The Summer Alive". He'd lost his way. He was tired of fighting for Brian and Dennis only to have them succumb to their demons. So he joined the Traveling Bruce Johnston Short Shorts Circus.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:56:21 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »

I like Chasin' the Sky. It makes me want to play Mike Tyson's Super Punch Out on my Nintendo Entertainment System and watch Miami Vice!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »

Definitely better than average 80's & 90's BB. I sometimes wonder if Dennis had ever heard it or not... Interesting chord progression and very descent guitar solo. Strong lead vocal from Carl. It at least deserves to still be in print somehow.

A lot of their output was pretty shitty in this period and, yes, Brian's solo album, love it as I do, would've sounded far better with the BB voices on (and production values from a decade earlier), so in that context, Chasin' the Sky, as AOR as hell, is one of the better things the band did.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2014, 11:28:50 AM »

I sometimes wonder if Dennis had ever heard it or not...

AGD's site says they recorded the vocals in January 1984.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »

"Chasin' The Sky" is another vapid '80s BB song. Besides Brian's stuff and some Carl solo songs, the band was shockingly incapable of putting any real depth in their songwriting. I don't think Dennis would've been impressed. God bless Carl, but I find it sad to hear him singing this stuff, or even writing songs like "Keepin' The Summer Alive". He'd lost his way. He was tired of fighting for Brian and Dennis only to have them succumb to their demons. So he joined the Traveling Bruce Johnston Short Shorts Circus.
Here's a clue; Chasin' The Sky was not written by any of the Beach Boys, it was recorded for the movie Up The Creek. Here's another clue; the Walrus was Paul. Some of the music was weak, but not just Carl's. Brian was doing no better. The 80's was not a great time for songwriting, at least released stuff, for the band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.