gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:35:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mistake or Intentional ?  (Read 5530 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2006, 02:12:01 PM »

Stop me if the subject is covered elsewhere on the vast pages of this board but the "3 clicks" post earlier this week reminded me of another background noise on a Beach Boys song that has always intrigued me. The chatter during the intro to "Do It Again". I have at least 3 versions, all with it.

Any others? I'm sure I've heard a sneeze on one tune but can't remember which.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 02:13:17 PM »

The chatter on Here Today and Wendy are famous ones.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 03:11:36 PM »

I believe the original-mono-mix of "Wendy" hasn't that noise, so it's not that famous....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 03:16:05 PM »

http://www.cabinessence.net/essays/noises.html

http://www.cabinessence.net/essays/noises2.html

The noises, edits, bum notes, are what make those recordings real in a sense. They're totally perfect in an absolutely imperfect way. A common problem to the lifeless drivel we hear of a lot of modern recordings is the lack of imperfections that were present in all past recordings.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 03:22:45 PM »

I believe the original-mono-mix of "Wendy" hasn't that noise, so it's not that famous....

Well, famous to Beach Boys fans, anyway.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 04:01:48 PM »

Peter Reum once cited a theory on an earlier version of this board that Brian had some kind of philosophy, with a name including the word "tapestry", if I'm recalling it correctly, about leaving mistakes in place here and there.  Artists call them "thumbprints".  They become an element of design and give the work a human touch.

I don't think I've ever heard "Wendy" without the cough.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 04:19:39 PM »

The form of "imperfect perfect" is what makes Rock'n'Roll. That's what Sam Phillips of Sun Records called his sound. The feel was the most important thing, and I think that's one thing Brian learned from Rock'n'Roll

@Joe: I believe you can hear it (or can't hear it) on the original mono-mix, like I said. Have to listen to it again to be 100% sure, but I think I remember it that way...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 04:33:22 PM »

Peter Reum once cited a theory on an earlier version of this board that Brian had some kind of philosophy, with a name including the word "tapestry", if I'm recalling it correctly, about leaving mistakes in place here and there.  Artists call them "thumbprints".  They become an element of design and give the work a human touch.

I believe that.

I think the "Here Today" stereo mix sucks without the camera chatter. It sounds lifeless, empty, robotic, computerized. Those voices gave it that human element.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 05:46:53 PM »

I believe that.

I think the "Here Today" stereo mix sucks without the camera chatter. It sounds lifeless, empty, robotic, computerized. Those voices gave it that human element.

The "thumbprint" theory makes sense. I'll buy some of the studio chatter as intentionally left in, such as "Here Today".

But some does surprise me that Brian left in, especially when you read stories about his perfectionism and countless takes in the studio.

The most perlpexing one for me is Dennis's "stutter" on "Auld Lang Syne". After hearing the playback, you'd think Brian would have to say, "Could we try that one again, Dennis?"
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 05:54:29 PM »

What was a Perez Prado record without him throwing in a good grunt or cry of "Dilo!" (something like "Give it!") whenever he felt like it? Grunts and yells were often thrown into recorded Latin music, even in the 50's. Anytime there's live music done by a hot band, theres a chance the participants will be so into the proceedings that this sort of thing will happen. I suppose that with the increased use of electric instruments and overdubs (never mind digital recording)this sort of thing died out - or at least you didn't get to hear it.

As far as 'letting the seams show' here and there - yeah, it's a thing that craftspeople will do. It's a favorite trick of needlepointers - "There is one mistake in this; try and find it!" Peter Reum saying 'tapestry' brings this to mind.

I'm not sure, though, that anybody cared too much at the time about what was left in, especially on an album track. A lot of those tracks were done pretty quickly, right?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 08:51:47 PM »

rb...

I know what you mean re: digital recording. That's why I personally try to leave any outside "noise" in when my group makes music.  For instance...I was recording the sound of my wife opening up the front door , and planned to use it as a sound affect. Unbeknownst to me, the mic was also picking up my next door neighbor cursing out her husband on her cell phone from next door.. After I had already finished recording the song, we were listening to the playback, and kept wondering what the hell we were hearing in the background. Listening to it on headphones told the story. Sad part is, it sounded 100% intentional.

Something similar happened later on. AGAIN I was trying to sample the sound of the door opening and closing, except someone was mowing the lawn. This time, I was aware of the fact that the mic was picking it up. What was different too was that it helped me finish the song...I turned the lawnmower UP in the mix, looped it, and changed the name of the song from "Glastnost" to "Stalin's Lawnmower".  LOL

So, yeah, surface noise can enhance the sound.  That's why personally I like using a combination of digital and analogue recording. It really is all about the human element.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 10:31:11 PM »

I've never noticed any of this stuff, but I don't want to listen for it in fear that it'll ruin the track!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 12:58:47 AM »

Has anybody heard of the Beatles background noises? I think the most famous one is in "Hey Jude" Just before they go into the "na na na" bit and after the "Remember to let her into your skin" line, if you listen to the right channel (from memory) someone shouts "F**kin Hell"  I think this is intentional, imagine the irony that the biggest selling Beatles single has a swear word in it.  Evil
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 01:00:52 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 06:56:40 AM »

Of course, there's the BBC broadcast of "King Lear" that was mixed live into the final third of "I Am The Walrus". It's hard to believe hearing it that it wasn't carefully positioned there.

T Bone Burnett, who is in the midst of a return as a songwriter/performer (after a 14 year absence to produce others and compile movie soundtracks), metioned in a recent interview how he will introduce noise into his mixes to contrast or enhance the performance. His new album is about as "unclean" as you can imagine; a direct response to the slickly "perfected" fare on radio today I suppose. Startlingly, he even went back and remixed/re-recorded tracks from his classic "Proof Through The Night" album for a new two-disc compilation to make them noisier and more abstract!

Back to Brian: while I'd like to think he intended to include some noise/chatter in the mid-60s recordings, it's more likely an indication of his depression. When he was tuned in, he was a perfectionist; when depression set in, he just wanted to be done with the session. That seems to be the case with the initial rush mix job done on "Pet Sounds" which Capitol rejected. Or course, Brian was always under pressure to turn out product quickly in the 60s and the stereo mixes were always treated as an afterthought anyway.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 09:53:41 AM »

There's only very little new artists that understand that the feel is more important the faultlessness of a take. But one that really understands it is RYAN ADAMS!
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 12:09:19 PM »

Back to Brian: while I'd like to think he intended to include some noise/chatter in the mid-60s recordings, it's more likely an indication of his depression. When he was tuned in, he was a perfectionist; when depression set in, he just wanted to be done with the session. That seems to be the case with the initial rush mix job done on "Pet Sounds" which Capitol rejected. Or course, Brian was always under pressure to turn out product quickly in the 60s and the stereo mixes were always treated as an afterthought anyway.

I'm sure that he rushed a few mixes in his lifetime. Perhaps they each had a different reason to them. I would never call Pet Sounds a rushed mix at all; It is in some places, flawless. The only songs which seem a bit rushed are God Only Knows, You Still Believe In me, I'm Waiting For The Day, and Here Today. Everything is is perfection. Sloop John B sounds absolutely fantastic, as does Caroline No, I Know There's An Answer, etc.

His mid-to-late 60's music is art-pop-weird-stuff-odd-ball type of things. To say that he rushed recordings is false and too presumptuous for the info we have of the sessions. These sessions had engineers most of the time, an engineer wouldn't let obtrusive noises fly unless it was okay'd by the producer. The "curtain closing" noise in Wake The World is just too perfectly placed to be mistake. I bet that Brian was searching for a sound to imitate the pulling of curtains. Similar to him having the Beach Boys whack things during the chorus to Let Him Run Wild. 

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »

Someone from the inner circle (was it Terry Melcher in the "Endless Harmony" documentary?) claimed that the first mix of "Pet Sounds" submitted to Capitol sounded very sloppy and was rejected. Brian then went back and created a new mono mix which is the one released in 1966 that we've known all these years. If this is true, I could only imagine something was up with Brian personally for him to rush the mixing of an album he envisioned as the "greatest pop album ever".

I agree that there is probably a myriad of reasons for the various coughs, murmurings, stray noises that crept into Beach Boys recordings. Some, like the "Wake of World" example, are certainly intended; I'd say the same about "Smiley Smile" as a whole.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 05:21:18 PM »

I think it has to do with something that Steve Desper once touched on. Brian was more of a performance idealist. He would rather, to use Desper's example, get a perfect performance rather than a cool kick drum sound. Perhaps Brian thought that the music itself would outweigh the confines of a mono, sloppily mixed recording. Maybe it was some deranged joke to present finely tuned and crafted music in a sloppy mix. That's doubtful but it is Brian Wilson we're thinking of here.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 06:23:51 PM »

You know what album has a GREAT mono mix? The 'british pet sounds' of course: Odessey & Oracle

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2006, 07:08:05 AM »

You know what album has a GREAT mono mix? The 'british pet sounds' of course: Odessey & Oracle

Eh, some of it is excellent. Some of it, like its American brother, is sloppy.

The best mixes are:

Care of Cell 44 (The chorus of which, in its mix, is jaw-dropping)
A Rose For Emily (The reverb is too heavy on the stereo mix, this is more subtle)

The worst are:

Maybe After He's Gone (The guitar/bass parts are muddled in the mix.)

I haven't listened to it in a while, I'll have to put it on again.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx