gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:20:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW - Airplane Demo Excerpt (High Quality)  (Read 13068 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 01:58:11 PM »

Sometimes I think Andrew does this stuff for fun.  LOL

To be fair to Andrew, that's exactly what I thought he'd meant as well...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 03:41:18 PM »

I just checked and, as I thought, the demo as heard on Instagramwas not recorded on a vidcam while playing over speakers in the room.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 06:58:04 PM »

Quite possible that a silent video was shot of the photo, or rather, the photo was used as a video clip and the audio clip was added via Windows Movie Maker. I've done that quite a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR7BWKw6bz4

As an example.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 07:21:23 PM »

Quite possible that a silent video was shot of the photo, or rather, the photo was used as a video clip and the audio clip was added via Windows Movie Maker. I've done that quite a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR7BWKw6bz4

As an example.

are those the revised Mike Love lyrics?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 07:38:05 PM »

LOL

The original lyrics, and at the correct speed (the booted versions are slightly sped up a semi-tone)

A rare example of Brian singing in his younger style with his older voice.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 06:25:28 AM »

For some odd reason, that quick Instagram video does indeed appear to be a camera slightly shakily shooting footage of a photograph. But the audio is in-line, it’s not coming from speakers.

Listening again, and comparing to the best “source” I’ve heard, I don’t think the fidelity of this new version is that much better. As I’ve been speculating, I think it is simply perhaps a couple tape generations better, as the overall fidelity is very similar, but with the new version sporting less tape hiss. There are indeed some versions of this tape that sound rather sketchy. Some are taken from old vinyl. But I think there is one circulating version that sounds even better than what’s on the “Rarities” Dumb Angel set, for instance. The new version is also indeed running slower. It sounds too slow to me, but it could well indeed be simply that the tapes we’ve been hearing over the years are running too fast.

I’m still curious now how they came about putting the one track from this demo session, “Still I Dream of It”, on the IJWMFTT soundtrack. Don Was’ idea? Did they like the song but didn’t want to use the “Beach Boys” version (even if it has no other BB’s on it)? Did they really just have a crappy copy, or were they trying to make it sound like a home demo?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »

I’m still curious now how they came about putting the one track from this demo session, “Still I Dream of It”, on the IJWMFTT soundtrack. Don Was’ idea? Did they like the song but didn’t want to use the “Beach Boys” version (even if it has no other BB’s on it)? Did they really just have a crappy copy, or were they trying to make it sound like a home demo?

Odd indeed - that version is easily the crappiest I've ever heard. It's almost as if they "dirtied it up" for release.

BTW, given the source of the Instagram clip, I'd wager that it's the correct speed. Maybe they have some other demos ?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:34:01 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »

listening again, and comparing to the best “source” I’ve heard, I don’t think the fidelity of this new version is that much better. As I’ve been speculating, I think it is simply perhaps a couple tape generations better, as the overall fidelity is very similar, but with the new version sporting less tape hiss. There are indeed some versions of this tape that sound rather sketchy. Some are taken from old vinyl. But I think there is one circulating version that sounds even better than what’s on the “Rarities” Dumb Angel set, for instance.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was part of a set of fan-made remasters made by a certain collector with the initials 'BC' *cough* that included a version of 'Sherry She Needs Me' that sounded suspiciously like what appeared on the MIC boxed set, auto-tune and all. 

Allegedly.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »

listening again, and comparing to the best “source” I’ve heard, I don’t think the fidelity of this new version is that much better. As I’ve been speculating, I think it is simply perhaps a couple tape generations better, as the overall fidelity is very similar, but with the new version sporting less tape hiss. There are indeed some versions of this tape that sound rather sketchy. Some are taken from old vinyl. But I think there is one circulating version that sounds even better than what’s on the “Rarities” Dumb Angel set, for instance.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was part of a set of fan-made remasters made by a certain collector with the initials 'BC' *cough* that included a version of 'Sherry She Needs Me' that sounded suspiciously like what appeared on the MIC boxed set, auto-tune and all. 

Allegedly.

Nah. The version I'm thinking of has been "around" for at least ten years, probably more.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »

Odd indeed - that version is easily the crappiest I've ever heard. It's almost as if they "dirtied it up" for release.

BTW, given the source of the Instagram clip, I'd wager that it's the correct speed. Maybe they have some other demos ?

That demo session sounds like it's being cut in a studio (asks the tape op/engineer if the tape is rolling, etc.). I would think it's possible if not likely that the tape is in the BB's archive, or Brian's own archive, and I'm sure there are some tantalizing bits they have that we still haven't heard.

I think this tape is great, especially for the Love You/Adult Child stuff. I would hope they could find an avenue to release this stuff. Perhaps a "Brian Rarities" set if the BB's won't do one.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »

It's the first sign that the wheels are in motion on the long sought after "Bedroom Tapes Sessions" !!!! Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »

With the film coming out could it be not out of the question for them to release a set of Brian home demos? They must know how sought after they are for fans.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2014, 10:34:46 PM »

That demo session sounds like it's being cut in a studio (asks the tape op/engineer if the tape is rolling, etc.). I would think it's possible if not likely that the tape is in the BB's archive, or Brian's own archive, and I'm sure there are some tantalizing bits they have that we still haven't heard.

I think this tape is great, especially for the Love You/Adult Child stuff. I would hope they could find an avenue to release this stuff. Perhaps a "Brian Rarities" set if the BB's won't do one.

This preview session - been doing the rounds since the very early 80s - was held in Brother studio, late summer/fall 1976. This kind of stuff would be ideal for the Big Beat treatment, from either Capitol or BriMel.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 11:06:40 PM »

That would be ace.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 11:23:27 PM »

That would indeed be awesome. I can't really see it happening though, at least not for all of the songs. Brian really stumbles over his fingers quite a bit.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 11:39:07 PM »

Giggity

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2014, 12:23:01 AM »

LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2014, 05:36:27 AM »

I agree that it's crappy in regards to the sound quality, but it's always been the preffered version for me, even with it's flaws.  I've always found Brian's vocal in the IJWMFTT version to sound more heartfelt and sincere and I like the piano only approach more than the big band style on the more realized version.  The performance on the raw demo is just so real.  One of those moments that is painfully real and not easy to listen to when you know Brian's story, but is fascinating at the same time.  Maybe it's just me.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2014, 06:19:08 AM »

I agree that it's crappy in regards to the sound quality, but it's always been the preffered version for me, even with it's flaws.  I've always found Brian's vocal in the IJWMFTT version to sound more heartfelt and sincere and I like the piano only approach more than the big band style on the more realized version.  The performance on the raw demo is just so real.  One of those moments that is painfully real and not easy to listen to when you know Brian's story, but is fascinating at the same time.  Maybe it's just me.

I think these piano demos are preferable to their studio counterparts in most cases (“Mona” and “Little Children” are still dreck in any version, but stuff like “Airplane”, “I’ll Bet He’s Nice” and the two Adult Child numbers are brilliant).

But in terms of the choice made for the IJWMFTT soundtrack, we’re talking about their use of a sub-par tape of that demo performance, not so much choosing the demo over the full-blown studio version. The exact same demo recording/performance circulates in markedly better quality. What AGD and I both are curious about is whether they purposely made that recording “low-fi”, perhaps to give it more of a “home demo” feel, like Lennon’s Dakota demos or something (some of which even sound better). On the tape used on the IJWMFTT soundtrack, there is less bass, it sounds more “tinny” and murky, etc. I think there might even be a tape dropout on it that isn’t on the higher quality version of the demos floating around, which may be the best evidence that they actually really just had a crappy cassette tape of the demo or something. Either that, or they really went all-out to downgrade the sound quality on purpose by just dubbing a copy of a copy of a copy. Slightly fascinating either way.

Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2014, 07:26:21 AM »

I myself just can´t believe that all these superb demos are in in their original form so crappy, full of hiss and everything...

I mean, if we look at Smile Sessions and CIFOTM choruses we had up to 2011 release, they were little bit better than Love you/Adult child demos but still in very low fidelity, bad shape let´s say...then in TSS they finally proved in very good shape and it seemed that it was down to bootlegers why they were so crappy...

Maybe I´m just over optimistic but I believe that the if LY/AC demos  were to be presented to us in official form that they would prove to be in very good shape and very enjoyable to listen ..not that I mind them in these form I JUST LOVE THEM! Grin

Come on Bri´ release them!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »

The Love You/Adult Child demos making the rounds were recorded on a tape deck, iirc

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »

The Love You/Adult Child demos making the rounds were recorded on a tape deck, iirc

It had to have been a tape deck (don’t think many digital recordings were being made in 1976), but the question is whether it was cassette or open-reel (and if open-reel, was it direct to mono/stereo or captured on multi-track?). It’s unlikely it’s a cassette tape given the sonic quality. Also, it would have been silly to be inside their own professional recording studio but simply record onto cassette tape. So I’m guessing it was either captured straight onto maybe ¼ inch mono or stereo (can’t recall at the moment if there’s any true stereo ambience on the recording), or they rolled multi-track tape. I’m guessing the former, as this was clearly a “demo” session in the truest sense; demonstrating potential material.

But he’s in their own pro studio, he’s giving directions to the tape op/engineer, so I don’t think this was any sort of “tape deck sitting on the piano with one open mic” sort of situation. 

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »

What's the point of releasing little snippets like this anyway?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2014, 02:01:43 AM »

Apparently 15 seconds is all Instagram will allow. Maybe it's a teaser...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2014, 02:07:25 AM »

It had to have been a tape deck (don’t think many digital recordings were being made in 1976), but the question is whether it was cassette or open-reel (and if open-reel, was it direct to mono/stereo or captured on multi-track?). It’s unlikely it’s a cassette tape given the sonic quality. Also, it would have been silly to be inside their own professional recording studio but simply record onto cassette tape. So I’m guessing it was either captured straight onto maybe ¼ inch mono or stereo (can’t recall at the moment if there’s any true stereo ambience on the recording), or they rolled multi-track tape. I’m guessing the former, as this was clearly a “demo” session in the truest sense; demonstrating potential material.

But he’s in their own pro studio, he’s giving directions to the tape op/engineer, so I don’t think this was any sort of “tape deck sitting on the piano with one open mic” sort of situation. 

I've never heard a stereo version in the 30+ years I've had those tapes. Yeah, I know "I'm Beggin' You Please" is stereo but that's from some three years later.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx