gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:25:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breaking down "In Concert"  (Read 22902 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »

You know the CD version of "In Concert" includes an additional snippet/fragment from the original audio tape(s) that weren't on the original vinyl version. There's not much, but it sure would be interesting to hear more of that.
Only the Capitol CD, the Epic/Caribou CD is just like the LP. Also, I never understood why the intro to WIBN was truncated on the original LP?

Yeah, forgot to say that you hear the snippets on the Capitol CD release from 2000.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »

You know the CD version of "In Concert" includes an additional snippet/fragment from the original audio tape(s) that weren't on the original vinyl version. There's not much, but it sure would be interesting to hear more of that.
Only the Capitol CD, the Epic/Caribou CD is just like the LP. Also, I never understood why the intro to WIBN was truncated on the original LP?

Yeah, forgot to say that you hear the snippets on the Capitol CD release from 2000.

As I don't have that CD, what's added?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 03:48:37 PM »

Little snippets.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »

Little snippets.

Ok, Thanxx!!  I'll be thinking about your little snippets while I'm listening to to some song fragments

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »

There really needs to be a Beach Boys LIVE boxset with an entire 3 discs devoted to this album and whatever was recorded for possible inclusion....
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 07:52:56 PM »

The only thing that would be a concern would be the precedent set by the Knebworth concert release, in terms of "official" concert releases. I doubt this band and all involved parties would be capable of releasing a true, live, "warts and all" recording, not even getting into deluxe box set territory.

What would also be a good candidate, especially in 2014-15 terms and with the historical attachment to boot? Michigan 1966. Warts and all.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »

Little snippets.

Ok, Thanxx!!  I'll be thinking about your little snippets while I'm listening to to some song fragments

You're not really missing that much. Just some extra chatter and guitar tuning, really. The 2000 re-release makes the entire album sound more like one complete show instead of what it was - a collection of live performances from different shows.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 12:43:31 AM »

Question about the gatefold for In Concert...
Who is the person with the 8 ball over his face standing next to Ricky Fataar? I thought maybe it was Ed Carter but I've never been sure. And why is his face covered up with an 8 ball in the first place? I've been wondering about this for years.

I seem to recall someone in one of the old threads confirming that the 8-ball was a cocaine in-joke (cue Dennis Leary riff on the subject)...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »

Ricky on drums is what absolutely makes this album come alive.
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 01:38:58 PM »

Back to Rhonda . . .

Can't Dennis be heard saying "Hang ten" at the start of the electric piano solo?

That always made me think that Dennis played it and with Dennis on the electric piano could it be Billy on bass?
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 10:02:19 PM »

Sounds to me like Mike says, "Oh Billy" & Dennis says, "Billy Hinsche."  I seriously doubt that's Dennis on the electric piano. Sounds very much like Billy's keyboard style, especially when you here the other live recordings of "Rhonda" during that time.  They all sound like Billy to me.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 03:54:49 AM »

Sounds to me like Mike says, "Oh Billy" & Dennis says, "Billy Hinsche."  I seriously doubt that's Dennis on the electric piano. Sounds very much like Billy's keyboard style, especially when you here the other live recordings of "Rhonda" during that time.  They all sound like Billy to me.

Definitely Billy on the electric piano. Dennis didn't start doing the "Rhonda" piano solo until '76 (on the grand).
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2014, 12:36:48 PM »

Just seeing if anyone has anymore insight to this album's personnel, specifically my questions regarding Dennis's vocals.  As much as I like Blondie and am happy to hear him in the mix, I can't believe how small Dennis's presence is on this record, especially considering Blondie was out of the band by the time of its release.

So can anyone point out specific audible VOCAL parts from Dennis on here?  Does anyone know what the breakdown of voices is for "Surfer Girl", compared to the studio recording?  Did Carl play any bass on this record or is the Priess book just wrong on that quote?  Also (while I'm here), am I correct in thinking that's Blondie playing the first half of the guitar solo on "Surfin' USA"? 

More questions will surely follow as I've wondered about this stuff for ages but I wanted to try one last time to see about those listed above.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »

Not to be picky, but Blondie was still in the band for one month after "In Concert" was released.

Can you hear Dennis at the beginning of 'California Girls' yell out, "This is for the girl who brought me here!"

Al on the lead and high parts to Surfer Girl. He and Carl traded off the high parts during that era, i.e. 'Don't Worry Baby'.

And I'm thinking it's Carl playing the intro to Surfin' U.S.A.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »

Ah.  I could have sworn I'd heard Blondie was gone before they'd even mixed it.  I stand corrected.  Smiley

Also, sorry for the confusion but I hear Dennis speaking all over the place on the album, I just can't (and want to) hear him singing.  Undecided    And with "SUSA", I agree that Carl plays the intro.  What I was referring to is the "first half" of the full guitar solo (the part that replaces the original record's organ solo).

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »

Just seeing if anyone has anymore insight to this album's personnel, specifically my questions regarding Dennis's vocals.  As much as I like Blondie and am happy to hear him in the mix, I can't believe how small Dennis's presence is on this record, especially considering Blondie was out of the band by the time of its release.

So can anyone point out specific audible VOCAL parts from Dennis on here?  

He's in the harmony blend all over the LP, no leads though. Probably easiest to pick him out on MARCELLA. Listen to this link to reference my comments below https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObboysPd8M

Listen to the "One arm over my shoulder" bit that begins at :50...then focus on the lower rougher voice that sings the line "over my shoulder" at :55. Now you get a sense of where Dennis is in the mix of voices on Marcella...again this "one arm over my shoulder" round happens at 1:48, Dennis is the roughly textured voice singing energetically all through this...his line "so sweet" is the last in the trail of voices at 2:02. When the "One arm" bit happens in the tag Dennis is there but singing quieter, low, soft, but if you can identify him from the previous bits I've pointed out then you can also find him in that end bit. Check it out.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:14:49 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2014, 01:59:17 PM »

Thanks, Jon!  I really appreciate it.  I'll check it out as soon as I'm able.  Smiley
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »

Did Carl play any bass on this record or is the Priess book just wrong on that quote? 
This has been bugging me too - given that Ed seems to be playing lead guitar on "Help Me Rhonda", either Blondie or Carl could be playing bass on that track.

If I'm right, I think Help Me Rhonda has always been weird with its bass players - that was one of the songs where Bruce would play Bass on even into the early 80s, and also one where Brian would occasionally play Bass on in the 80s, as said in a thread describing the "Chinese Fire Drill" in the 1980s (which, now that I check... was actually written by you. How about that?).

However, later in that thread, c-man says Blondie was on lead guitar and Ed on bass for the MIC Rhonda, which was from 1972, so unless they changed the arrangement over the course of a year, it probably stayed the same.

Really, knowing what Ed Carter played lead guitar on would help with knowing if Carl played any bass the most, but considering the guy has one whole interview on file for  his entire life...

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2014, 03:15:53 PM »

"And, the MIC live version of "Rhonda" has Blondie Chaplin on lead, and Eddie on bass (same as the Crystal Palace video that's circulating from earlier that year)."

C-man, how do you know this? Is it based on the close proximity of concert dates? Just curious.

This statement, if it's true, helps to support the notion that Blondie played the lead in the middle of Rhonda on the "In Concert" album, but as C-man suggests, we may never know for sure. I'm sure the players (or are still alive) would know right away who it was if they'd heard it.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 06:04:08 PM »

Did Carl play any bass on this record or is the Priess book just wrong on that quote? 
This has been bugging me too - given that Ed seems to be playing lead guitar on "Help Me Rhonda", either Blondie or Carl could be playing bass on that track.

If I'm right, I think Help Me Rhonda has always been weird with its bass players - that was one of the songs where Bruce would play Bass on even into the early 80s, and also one where Brian would occasionally play Bass on in the 80s, as said in a thread describing the "Chinese Fire Drill" in the 1980s (which, now that I check... was actually written by you. How about that?).

However, later in that thread, c-man says Blondie was on lead guitar and Ed on bass for the MIC Rhonda, which was from 1972, so unless they changed the arrangement over the course of a year, it probably stayed the same.

Really, knowing what Ed Carter played lead guitar on would help with knowing if Carl played any bass the most, but considering the guy has one whole interview on file for  his entire life...

Thanks for reminding me of that thread (and the info with in it).  I've been under the weather lately (and starting a new job) but I plan to start compiling a spreadsheet for the album and blocking out the instrumentation and that stuff will definitely come in handy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:35:47 PM by Phoenix » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2014, 07:32:04 PM »

Really, knowing what Ed Carter played lead guitar on would help with knowing if Carl played any bass the most, but considering the guy has one whole interview on file for  his entire life...

Thanks for reminding me of that thread (and the info with in it.  I've been under the weather lately (and starting a new job) but I plan to start compiling a spreadsheet for the album and blocking out the instrumentation and that stuff will definitely come in handy.

I actually already made a Google Doc for that. It's pretty bare so far, but I guess this would be the easiest way for people to add things to it.

I've never tried something like this before, so hopefully everyone can access it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:34:09 PM by wantsomecorn » Logged

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »

Fantastic.  Thanks for getting the ball rolling!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2014, 05:36:28 AM »

Great to see one of my favorite albums discussed!

Still listen nearly every day; and it just never gets old.  Wink
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »

This is my favorite live album of the Beach Boys.  My only complaint is there is no Dennis lead. It would've been cool to hear him sing Cuddle Up or something he would do live around that time.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »

Really, knowing what Ed Carter played lead guitar on would help with knowing if Carl played any bass the most, but considering the guy has one whole interview on file for  his entire life...

Thanks for reminding me of that thread (and the info with in it.  I've been under the weather lately (and starting a new job) but I plan to start compiling a spreadsheet for the album and blocking out the instrumentation and that stuff will definitely come in handy.

I actually already made a Google Doc for that. It's pretty bare so far, but I guess this would be the easiest way for people to add things to it.

I've never tried something like this before, so hopefully everyone can access it.

Great job!  Should Daryl Dragon be added to the '72 recordings?  I think it's been established that he played those shows even though he isn't lited in the credits.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx