gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:44:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The post-Blondie/ pre Ricky-leaving period  (Read 3181 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:19:12 PM »

After Blondie left, Ricky stayed on for roughly 2 more years... during this time, I've seen a small handful of group photos with Ricky present along with the rest of the Boys. Was there any further plan at this point (pre 15 Big Ones) for Ricky to indefinitely maintain his official band member status (as opposed to being more of a backing musician)? I guess (?) there wasn't any type of official demotion between Blondie leaving to the time that Ricky left, but I wonder how this all played out.

Some live pro-shot videos (like the 1974 New Year's Eve show floating around on Youtube) seem to focus much less on him as though he were on the level of a non-official backing musician member; would this have been the case if Dennis was behind the kit? Or was this just mere happenstance of how the show was filmed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSj1x6tMzUY

(PS - amazing performance of the song - Carl kills it!)

We only got a brief taste of both Blondie + Ricky being in the band as "official" members of the band, so once one of them was out, I wonder how the politics and changing/evolving times (coupled with Brian's re-integration) affected Ricky and his membership status during this time. If Ricky had stayed on in the band for years to come, would he have remained an "actual" member, or have somehow reverted to the level of Ed Carter or Billy Hinsche (semi-sorta-kinda/not-really-official member)? Or perhaps that type of transition was already happening in the period before he left, such as on this video?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:29:14 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:39:50 PM »

Drummer on Rockin' New Years Eve is almost certainly Kowalski (er... or Figueroa ?), I think it was established some years ago. Apologies if I'm talking more nonsense than usual, it's 6.32am here, just woken up.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:41:27 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:50:20 PM »

Drummer on Rockin' New Years Eve is almost certainly Kowalski (er... or Figueroa ?), I think it was established some years ago. Apologies if I'm talking more nonsense than usual, it's 6.32am here, just woken up.  Smiley

I sure thought that looks like Ricky at 3:40 on that video? But it's blurry so a bit hard to tell for sure...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:52:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSj1x6tMzUY

(PS - amazing performance of the song - Carl kills it!)

Gotta add - I love this clip. The vocals are so tight and together.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 11:53:01 PM »

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:06:18 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 11:55:04 PM »

NEVER

the suites are suite

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 12:06:08 AM »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:02:10 PM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 12:50:31 AM »

I sure thought that looks like Ricky at 3:40 on that video? But it's blurry so a bit hard to tell for sure...
I think it's either Ricky or Bobby F. I really doubt that's Mike K.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 02:48:39 AM »

It was Ricky (drums) and Bobby (percussion)!

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 04:06:07 AM »

It was Ricky (drums) and Bobby (percussion)!

Sure is. They can be most clearly seen during the ensemble rendition of Auld Lang Syne (along with Billy, Carli, Jim, and Ron)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 04:11:02 AM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 06:49:54 AM »

It was a fill in gig because Dennis, who was drumming again by this time, refused to wear the suits and boycotted the show
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 02:43:42 AM »

My question is did Fataar play a gretsch kit? And was that the only kit he had while being a BB?? And was that what was used on Holland and In Concert? Fataar was/is a very underrated drummer.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »

Some time ago on here, it was definitively established (after quite a lengthy investigation and discussion) that the clip features Ricky on drums and Bobby on percussion. 

But enough about New Years.  Let's get back to the topic on hand and discussing the questions posed in the original post.  I'm pretty interested in hearing about that period as well.    police
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 10:19:24 PM »

After Blondie left, Ricky stayed on for roughly 2 more years...
Blondie left in December '73, Ricky left in September '74...so Ricky only stayed for about 10 months. Dennis took back the role of the Beach Boys primary drummer in November '74.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx