gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:09:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Foskett Chronicles?  (Read 10586 times)
Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2014, 01:46:06 AM »

So I got to thinking; Wouldn't it be great if Jeff Foskett wrote a book about his time in the Beach Boys world, just think about what he's lived through:
Being asked to join his favourite band and playing with them through one of their most turbulent yet creatively fallow periods (during which time they have a number one single), then getting fired.
Playing with Brian as he plays his first solo shows in years, going on to become his right hand man; seeing him at his best and his worst, playing Pet Sounds and Smile live.
Being asked to practically become the 6th Beach Boy for the reunion shows and album, then leaving Brian to join Mike & Bruce.
Not only is Jeff one of the few musicians to have played alongside Brian, Mike, Bruce, Al, David, Carl and Dennis, he's also been around when some interesting and controversial characters have entered the Beach Boys sphere - Landy, Melinda, Stamos, Joe Thomas, Jeff Beck.  Man, he must have some stories to tell.
I'd buy it!

Nicko1234
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:17:49 AM »

So much he would have to conceal...

I think of all the people involved in the band Jeff is probably the least likely to talk (I could be wrong).

When he was in Brian`s band he, completely understandably, wouldn`t make any vaguely negative comments about things and some have also accused him of denying factual things about some of Brian`s concerts.

Now he is in Mike`s band I don`t see him saying anything about that part of the group either...

Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:00:11 AM »

Oh, I very much doubt he'd do it, but who knows; one day?  Perhaps after he falls out with Mike.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »

It's probably not a coincidence that, considering how many people have been in all of these guys' backing bands over the years, we haven't had a ton of lengthy, detailed interviews with a lot of them.

There was a thread a little while back asking about guys like Ed Carter, and some folks mentioned that at least some of the guys from the 70's/80's era may have signed some sort of non-disclosure agreements. I don't know when or if that occurred, or if anything like that still happens, but whether a lot of these guys over the years are just quiet and low-key, or if they are self-censoring, or if nobody is seeking them out for interviews, whatever the reason, they aren't talking a lot. I think Jon Stebbins mentioned that folks like Mike Meros had some good off-the-record observations/stories.

I've been very surprised that Brian's band have been somewhat silent over the years. There was that one interview right before C50 started with one of the guys, which was pulled down relatively quickly. Other than Facebook crap (cough-Nelson Bragg-cough), these guys seem to stay somewhat silent.

There is a relatively revealing interview with Foskett from the 90's, in between his BB stint and playing with Brian, and that has a fair amount of detail. It actually has more detail about Foskett and his departure than the other guys from the band. It can be seen here on the Internet Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/19990221115314/http://www.new-surf.com/interv.html

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:06:44 AM »

It's funny to imagine Foskett with an out of control ego.

"Babe, I sang on the demo of 'Kokomo'. I'm not going to buy you a drink. You're going to buy me a drink."

"Wife and kids? I don't know what you're talking about. I'm the guy on stage standing next to John Stamos, singing 'Bermuda, Bahama, come on, pretty mama!' That's all I do, and it's more than you'll ever do.'

'I'm fired? I'm gonna help Brian finish Smile 14 years from now. You'll see. I don't need this gig."

"Al's the short one. Mike's the bald one. Carl's the shy one. Bruce has legs. I'm the sex symbol."
Nicko1234
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:19:28 AM »

It's probably not a coincidence that, considering how many people have been in all of these guys' backing bands over the years, we haven't had a ton of lengthy, detailed interviews with a lot of them.

There was a thread a little while back asking about guys like Ed Carter, and some folks mentioned that at least some of the guys from the 70's/80's era may have signed some sort of non-disclosure agreements. I don't know when or if that occurred, or if anything like that still happens, but whether a lot of these guys over the years are just quiet and low-key, or if they are self-censoring, or if nobody is seeking them out for interviews, whatever the reason, they aren't talking a lot. I think Jon Stebbins mentioned that folks like Mike Meros had some good off-the-record observations/stories.

I've been very surprised that Brian's band have been somewhat silent over the years. There was that one interview right before C50 started with one of the guys, which was pulled down relatively quickly. Other than Facebook crap (cough-Nelson Bragg-cough), these guys seem to stay somewhat silent.

There is a relatively revealing interview with Foskett from the 90's, in between his BB stint and playing with Brian, and that has a fair amount of detail. It actually has more detail about Foskett and his departure than the other guys from the band. It can be seen here on the Internet Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/19990221115314/http://www.new-surf.com/interv.html

Thanks for posting the link again.

I think this example of Jeff being critical (even if only slightly) of the covers on the Imagination album is something that he wouldn`t have done later (and understandably so).

I remember him being interviewed by a British fanzine when GIOMH came out and a question went something like:

Q: There has been some criticism of Brian`s new album. Would you like to comment on that?
A: No, I wouldn`t.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:24:30 AM »

my wife and I will soon be celebrating our 11th anniversar

...which is why he introduced me to his new wife Diana in 2003. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Nicko1234
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »

my wife and I will soon be celebrating our 11th anniversar

...which is why he introduced me to his new wife Diana in 2003. Smiley

Yeah but getting married to a new wife was just part of his Beach Boys tribute.  Wink
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »

Most BW band members are quite accessible to fans, and depending on the member willing to chat about many subjects. I'm assuming this is true for the other BB band members over the years, too. So many people come to this music as enthusiasts.

Regardless of the member, though, they tend not to go on the record with interviews or message board posts, for obvious reasons. (And some do give interviews, and the fan or interviewer makes sure not to share certain anecdotes.)

I did my part, though -- I interviewed Probyn at length!

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/hour-with-probyn-gregory
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:33:08 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 09:37:14 AM »

Choice bits:

On of my greatest disasters was when we were playing at the Neil Young Bridge School concert. It was rather late in the evening, and it was an outside show at the Shoreline Amphitheater. There were a lot of people on the bill: The Who, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins. So it comes time for "God Only Knows," and I look over at the drummer, and I see the drummer turn to me and count off the song. But no one else in the band heard the count-off; the drummer was turned away from them. So I got out my French horn - it was in the 50s, the horn was very cold - I put in the mouthpiece, I started to play, and the horn was so cold that it was not even in the same key. And the keyboard player had missed it. So it was the drummer tick-ticking and me playing these horrible notes in front of 20,000 people.

It was just awful. Someone sent me a YouTube of it, which I think I managed to remove.

This band knows we will never sound like the Beach Boys. There's something magical about that collection of voices. You can make instruments sound like other bands. If you have the right amp or guitar combination, and if you have the right style, it can be close. But vocals are very much harder to emulate, especially when you get into a group vocal situation.

He really seems to like touring. In the very first year, we weren't sure that he would continue on touring. He was very shy, and he didn't seem to like being in the public eye at all. But he's really warmed up to it over the years, and I think his voice has gotten stronger. And I think he has a good time out on the road, too.

He's a very sweet and loving person. He would give me the shirt off his back. That doesn't really come across when he's performing, maybe, but he's a really sweet guy. We all love him to death in the band.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »

Most BW band members are quite accessible to fans, and depending on the member willing to chat about many subjects. I'm assuming this is true for the other BB band members over the years, too. So many people come to this music as enthusiasts.

Regardless of the member, though, they tend not to go on the record with interviews or message board posts, for obvious reasons. (And some do give interviews, and the fan or interviewer makes sure not to share certain anecdotes.)

Clay, I am sure I read your article back in 2009, but re-reading this afternoon was very cool. Great article and I like your style.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »

Nice article about 1980s action figures! Grin
http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/11773889-95/1980s-action-figures-have-not-lost-their-luster

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »

Let's not get off track, now.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »

But its He-man.... Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 11:14:19 AM »

Many people don't realize this but several years ago, Foskett did attempt to an autobiography. It was never published but drafts of it have leaked out to certain people. I obtained a copy. Here are a few excerpts:

From Chapter Six ("Hearing Pet Sounds in Cleveland")

We had just begun touring Pet Sounds and I was getting acquainted with everybody. Once, in Florida, we stopped at a diner and I ordered a chocolate shake. Brian looked at me and said, "Hey, it's Chocolate Shake Man! It's Chocolate Shake Man!" We all laughed. I said, "Right on, Brian." The next day we get together and rehearse. Brian was sitting behind the keyboard when I walked in. He said, "There's our Chocolate Shake Man!" Everybody laughed again. I said, "Right on, Brian." After that, he kept calling me Chocolate Shake Man at every opportunity he could. One time, we were in an important meeting with Sanctuary Records, trying to secure a deal for Pet Sounds Live. An executive introduced himself to us. He said, "And who are you?" I said, "I'm Je..." I looked over at Brian who shot me an angry look. I looked back at the executive. "I'm Chocolate Shake Man," I told him. The executive quickly moved on to someone else.

A few weeks later, we were at a diner and I ordered a strawberry shake. Someone (I won't say who) pulled me aside and told me that they didn't approve of my order, and that if I didn't order a chocolate shake pronto, I would be left at the next truck stop. I'm still not sure why they wouldn't have just left me at the diner, rather than drive to a truck stop. I asked, but the person didn't have a very good idea why either. Needless to say, I ordered a chocolate shake because I like the drink anyway.

From Chapter Seven ("On the Road Again")

I had a great stage banter idea. I approached Brian one day and said, Brian, I have this good idea for a joke you can tell on stage. He looked back, smiling. I said, "You can ask everyone in the audience to hold up their lighter." He giggled at this. Then I said, "Then you can say, 'I'm going to count the lighters.'" He started to laugh. "Then you can just start counting: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6." He was really guffawing now. I was quite pleased with myself until I looked behind me and realized that Brian was watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond the whole time. It was one about Ray being aggravated by his mother. We both sat and watched the episode together. The next day, Darian pitched him the same joke and Brian went for it in a big way.

From Chapter Three ("Listen to the Band")

Originally the name was Papa Papa Doo Doo Run Run. And while I wasn't in the band yet, I knew that this was a big mistake. I said, "That sounds stupid." They asked why. And I said that I thought the name was a bit too long. And so they came back with Papa Doo Doo Run Run. And I said, "No, that still doesn't work." And they came back with Papa Doo Run Run. I was getting pretty irritated at this point so I just said, "Yeah, great. Whatever." They seemed happy with this response and the rest was history.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:15:11 AM by rockandroll » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »

I remember that interview. That's a good 'un!

I think "on the record" is the key term. I absolutely understand why they're conversant but not interested in going on the record too much. I mean, what do they get out of it? It does leave fans, at least fans who don't have a line to any of these guys to have personal conversations, without much info.

I do hear third-person bits here and there like we all do. But if they don't go on the record, then most of us don't ever hear anything. I don't get much out of a fan relating "oh man, I was backstage with the guys in the band, and they were telling all sorts of doozies!"

But as I said, these guys don't get anything out of giving interviews (other than I suppose if they want to get stuff off their chest). I think we're lucky any of these guys ever talk much. They're talking about their employers in many cases.

I would be very interested to hear Probyn and others talk about C50. Not just the bad aftermath stuff (although if they have insight into that, that would be interesting), but just talking about what it was like, how it was different than doing a Brian tour, how much interaction they had with Mike, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 11:47:36 AM »

Perhaps one day a book will be written exclusively about the 50th Anniversary.  You just get the feeling that there are some really interesting stories about what went on behind the scenes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 12:02:52 PM »

Working musicians--as opposed to celebs--who want to keep working don't burn bridges if they can help it. I'm sure it'd take an awfully big sum to make the consequences of a tell-all worthwhile.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »

Chapter Nine ("Smile Though Your Heart is Breaking")

One time, we took a break from the BWPS tour to go see "Meet the Fockers." The theatre was pretty packed and Darian sat in front of me. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I couldn't see the movie over his hair. As the movie went on, though, I kept getting more and more aggravated. I turned to the person beside me and said, "I don't think I've met a single Focker yet but by the sounds of it there have been several Fockers on screen." The person beside me then proceeded to change seats.

Darian's hair was a mystery to me. And one time during practice, I'm pretty sure I saw a bat fly out of it. I turned to the rest of the band and said, "Did you see that?" They shrugged. "Well, what does that shrug mean, did you see it or didn't you see it?" They just stared back at me. "Are you going to answer my question? Did you see the bat or not? Come on!" It was like I was invisible. I pulled out the mirror in my pocket and looked into it. I was there, alright. I was as visible as I had ever been in my life.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 12:14:33 PM »

Quote from: rockandroll
Many people don't realize this but several years ago, Foskett did attempt to an autobiography. It was never published but drafts of it have leaked out to certain people. I obtained a copy. Here are a few excerpts:
Let's not forget the juiciest chapter, "The Closet":

"I knew I wasn't supposed to be here. The rest of the band had gone out to Ruth's Chris, and had left me back stage. Again.

So I decided to have a little fun. I followed a trail of cookie crumbs to Brian's dressing room. I knocked on the door. No answer, so I wiggled the door knob. The door was clearly unlocked, and I entered.

I tiptoed in, sort of like the Grinch, and headed straight for the dresser. And just my luck! Inside were two of Brian's Hawaiian shirts. I ditched my stupid blue shirt and put one of his shirts on. Standing in the mirror, I realized for the first time that I was Brian's spitting image. I sang a line from "Ballad of Ole' Betsy" and sounded like him, too.

"Hey, I'm Brian Wilson, the Beach Boy," I said out loud, confident no one could hear me. "And Jeff Foskett is my bestest friend in the whole wide world! And a great singer!"

My fun was quickly interrupted by the unmistakable footsteps of Brian Wilson. I mean, the guy has to be slamming his feet with every step. He must wear really thick insoles.

"Just a sec, Melinda," he bellowed. "I want to change into one of my other Hawaiian shirts!"

Crap, crap, crap. I made a move to take off the shirt, but it was too late. I was face-to-face with Brian. In his dressing room!

"I'm just going to pretend I didn't see this," he said, and quickly grabbed the other shirt off the rack.

His breath smelled terrible.

"I'm sorry, Brian. Can I at least go to the Steakhouse?"

"No," he said as he tugged his shirt over his head. "There's no room on the tour bus. Sorry."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:24:26 PM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 12:23:47 PM »

"Jeffrey Foskett Presents Smile"

It may seem impertinent to some Brian Wilson fans to claim that I presented Smile, but until that moment on stage where I felt myself seized up by a power greater than myself and slowly turned my guitar around so that the audience could see the Smile sticker that I stuck on it... I don't think Brian Wilson knew the importance of what was happening. But now it was official. There was a sticker that says it was Smile, and here I was presenting it to a sold out audience that featured Paul McCartney edited into it later.

The other band members seemed nonplussed by my actions, but there were whispers that Scotty Bennett wanted to unveil a Smile sticker on the bottom of a synthesizer but was overruled by a testy Darian who hated the keyboard stands monkeyed with. To hell with them. I had presented Smile. Afterwards I told Brian all about my theory and he said "great, that blows my mind!"

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:25:13 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »

Brian was watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond the whole time. It was one about Ray being aggravated by his mother.

The one where Ray was aggravated by his mother.  Now that's funny. I saw that one.  Once a week in fact. For about five seasons. (I think she wanted him to drink a chocolate milkshake and he wanted strawberry??)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 01:03:12 PM »

Chapter Eight (“The Golden Age”)

It was official: I had been fined $3000 by Brian’s management for using the word “poppycock” on stage. I pleaded with them, saying, “poppycock” isn’t a bad word. But every time I said that they handed me a dictionary that I’m pretty sure they themselves made which proved that the word was indeed quite vulgar. Several days later I was handed a list of other words and phrases that I had said onstage that were questionable: Fungo bat, shiatsu, penal system, Warren Harding, Pantene, linguistics, dictator, rectory, Shi’ites, Alan Thicke. I was pretty sure I hadn’t said any of these things and I raised hell. I went on a seven minute tirade wherein I used the phrase “poppycock” repeatedly. It was bad times but when we got together and sang “Fairy Tale” it was like all the magic had come back and the bad times had been forgotten. Several weeks later I discovered that Brian re-did all the vocals by himself.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:12:48 PM by rockandroll » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 01:26:46 PM »

I didn't realize Foskett and Randell Kirsch were in The Pranks together. That's cool that they've reunited in the M+B band.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »

Chapter Ten "Hypnotize Me, Jeffrey Foskett"

"Jeff! Jeffrey Foskett!"

It was Brian Wilson's voice. He sounded lost, confused, in pain. Why was he reaching out to yours truly? Could I quell the voices in his head with my soothing falsetto?

"What is it, Bri?"

Sometimes I left off parts of his name to indicate familiarity and foster a closeness that's served me well in my career as a professional interpreter of The Beach Boys' music.

"There's something on my mind."

"I'll be right over!"

I jumped into my Kia Spectra and raced to his house. I knew where it was, well, where one of them was. I parked badly and raced to the door, it could be anything.

"Brian, what is it?"

He was in his music room, lost in thought. What was on that eccentric mind? I've been through a lot of strange and wonderful situations with Brian Wilson over the years but this could be the big one.

"I can't figure out if you're more like Joe Besser or Curly Joe DeRita. If you were one of the Three Stooges, would you be Joe Besser or Curly Joe DeRita?"

"Curly Joe, Brian."

I stopped at Carl's Jr. on the way back and loaded up on a two for three special. They throw in extra jalapenos for me so it's pretty good for the money.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 08:41:44 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx