gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:55:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A different angle on BB - Jewish Daily Forward article  (Read 5568 times)
nybbfan
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »

Maybe not the most accruate article, but a different take on our favorite band:

http://forward.com/articles/204419/the-secret-jewish-history-of-the-beach-boys
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »

Interesting perspective, but the writer makes it sound like Al Jardine spent 35 years copying Dave's guitar licks. We know that's not quite the story. I sometimes wonder what the Carl/Dave guitar duo would have brought to the band. Best case scenario would have been Dave staying and Al rejoining as the bassist.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:12:46 PM »

And here all along I thought it was Brian's mom who told him about those good vibrations while walking to the grocery store.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 04:32:50 PM »

The 'secret' Jewish history? That would be news to the Wilson and Marks families plus Jon who covered it years ago surely.

PhilCohen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 05:23:55 PM »

Despite what most people think, Dave Marks is Italian-American(or at least his father was), and Marks has stated this.

On the other hand, there are people involved in The Beach Boys story who are not perceived to be Jewish, but actually are. Check out Page 105 of the book "Rolling Stone:The 500 Greatest Albums of all Time", where Hal Blaine(Harold Belsky) is interviewed:

Question: What inspired you to start playing drums?

Blaine:"I was at Hebrew school, and across the street was a church. I used to watch the kids over there in a drum corps. The priest gave me a pair of sticks and a snare drum. Then, my sister bought me my first kit. I'd sit on the front porch and do my own shows, showing off.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 05:41:37 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »

I'd always heard Dave's half. Never put THAT much thought into it...hell, I was a grown man before I knew my ethnic history (I knew my dad was hispanic, but I had no idea my mom was Dutch/black/Jewish until her funeral)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:03:54 PM »

Page 9 'Lost Beach Boy'. Jewish-Italian heritage.

(but that's a secret according to the article title Wink)

BTW. Not even a picture or clip featuring David.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »

The album also includes a rock ’n’ roll version of an old folk song called “Sloop John B,” to the tune to which, oddly enough, the Hebrew folk song “Dror Yikra” is often sung.

That tidbit was the only interesting thing about the article. Reading the core material, it seemed like Mr. Rogovoy tried very hard to represent the Jews as sth. big in the BBs history, as if all the best that came out of the group is due to them. 2 examples: "So he turned to the mostly Jewish corps of Los Angeles session musicians"; "Jo Ann was also an amateur psychic who talked to Brian about the powers of unseen vibrations, ideas that would fuel the group’s first million-selling single, “Good Vibrations.”" 1st one is outright silly, because it's not relevant at all to the music Brian created with the Wrecking Crew. Race, nation, religion don't mean a thing in a show biz, everyone can be talented. On the 2nd, I agree with NHC, I believe more Brian in that case than some journalist who is being overly defensive of his fellow one-landers.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:51:19 PM »

Onelanders?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 12:37:27 AM »

I suspect it's more that the writer fancied writing about the Beach Boys but needed to find a Jewish angle in order to place the article in the publication he writes for. Anyway, the main point is that some Jewish non-BBs fans might assume that that whole scene (California music, surfin') was all WASPs, so he's telling them it's not so.

Please delete my account
PhilCohen
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 01:30:38 AM »

The album also includes a rock ’n’ roll version of an old folk song called “Sloop John B,” to the tune to which, oddly enough, the Hebrew folk song “Dror Yikra” is often sung.

That tidbit was the only interesting thing about the article. Reading the core material, it seemed like Mr. Rogovoy tried very hard to represent the Jews as sth. big in the BBs history, as if all the best that came out of the group is due to them. 2 examples: "So he turned to the mostly Jewish corps of Los Angeles session musicians"; "Jo Ann was also an amateur psychic who talked to Brian about the powers of unseen vibrations, ideas that would fuel the group’s first million-selling single, “Good Vibrations.”" 1st one is outright silly, because it's not relevant at all to the music Brian created with the Wrecking Crew. Race, nation, religion don't mean a thing in a show biz, everyone can be talented. On the 2nd, I agree with NHC, I believe more Brian in that case than some journalist who is being overly defensive of his fellow one-landers.

As for those Los Angeles session musicians, you'll note that 25-30% of the classical orchestral session musicians on "Pet Sounds" have Jewish surnames.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 01:31:51 AM »

I suspect it's more that the writer fancied writing about the Beach Boys but needed to find a Jewish angle in order to place the article in the publication he writes for. Anyway, the main point is that some Jewish non-BBs fans might assume that that whole scene (California music, surfin') was all WASPs, so he's telling them it's not so.

That's how it came across to me, as well.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »

Jo Ann[/color][/b] was also an amateur psychic who talked to Brian about the powers of unseen vibrations, ideas that would fuel the group’s first million-selling single, “Good Vibrations.”" 1st one is outright silly, because it's not relevant at all to the music Brian created with the Wrecking Crew. Race, nation, religion don't mean a thing in a show biz, everyone can be talented. On the 2nd, I agree with NHC, I believe more Brian in that case than some journalist who is being overly defensive of his fellow one-landers.

The Jo Ann Marks - Good Vibrations connection is old news. She was a well established psychic in the LA area...countless celebs lined up for psychic readings from her. She was known for using the term Good Vibrations or bad vibrations long before there was a band known as the Beach Boys. It was her best friend, Zelda Samuels, another L.A. psychic, who consulted Brian during the Smile period... best known for telling him when Heroes and Villains should be released, Brian and Marilyn also regularly got readings from her. The whole thing is detailed in the Lost Beach Boy book from 2007... but the story about Jo Ann being a psychic and her, and her sphere of friends, influencing young Brian was around decades before that. The Audree story is a safe "go to" for Brian since the whole subject of Jo Ann's influence is a definite taboo from the Murry era. (especially considering both Brian and Murry had romantic interest in Jo Ann) But the info is out there, you don't have to dig too deep. Whether it was Audree or Jo Ann who ingrained the term in Brian's head...Jo Ann was well known for making it part of the neighborhood lexicon, that's a simple fact.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 12:32:37 PM »

Jo Ann[/color][/b] was also an amateur psychic who talked to Brian about the powers of unseen vibrations, ideas that would fuel the group’s first million-selling single, “Good Vibrations.”" 1st one is outright silly, because it's not relevant at all to the music Brian created with the Wrecking Crew. Race, nation, religion don't mean a thing in a show biz, everyone can be talented. On the 2nd, I agree with NHC, I believe more Brian in that case than some journalist who is being overly defensive of his fellow one-landers.

The Jo Ann Marks - Good Vibrations connection is old news. She was a well established psychic in the LA area...countless celebs lined up for psychic readings from her. She was known for using the term Good Vibrations or bad vibrations long before there was a band known as the Beach Boys. It was her best friend, Zelda Samuels, another L.A. psychic, who consulted Brian during the Smile period... best known for telling him when Heroes and Villains should be released, Brian and Marilyn also regularly got readings from her. The whole thing is detailed in the Lost Beach Boy book from 2007... but the story about Jo Ann being a psychic and her, and her sphere of friends, influencing young Brian was around decades before that. The Audree story is a safe "go to" for Brian since the whole subject of Jo Ann's influence is a definite taboo from the Murry era. (especially considering both Brian and Murry had romantic interest in Jo Ann) But the info is out there, you don't have to dig too deep. Whether it was Audree or Jo Ann who ingrained the term in Brian's head...Jo Ann was well known for making it part of the neighborhood lexicon, that's a simple fact.

I knew about JoAnn from your 2007 book.  I just hadn't picked up on the connection re: Brian and the "good vibrations". But darned if it isn't right there on pages 25 and 142. I must have forgot.  Or skipped over it. Or something.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:34:28 PM by NHC » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 05:13:11 AM »

Time for a musical interlude, courtesy of the Jewish Humor Central:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CovKq3QxFw

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx