gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:43:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Foskett Chronicles?  (Read 10628 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 08:53:04 PM »

LOL

lovely.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »

Perhaps one day a book will be written exclusively about the 50th Anniversary.  You just get the feeling that there are some really interesting stories about what went on behind the scenes.

Such a book demands to be written, and then turned into a mini-series.  Grin

Anyone who has had any kind of extended interaction with the members of Mike & Brian's bands (that is, pretty much all of us) will have heard "stuff" off the record, some of it hilarious. But of all, Jeff has been the least talkative and the most discrete. He's just like that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 11:56:24 PM »

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:22 AM »

Many people don't realize this but several years ago, Foskett did attempt to an autobiography. It was never published but drafts of it have leaked out to certain people. I obtained a copy. Here are a few excerpts:

From Chapter Six ("Hearing Pet Sounds in Cleveland")

We had just begun touring Pet Sounds and I was getting acquainted with everybody. Once, in Florida, we stopped at a diner and I ordered a chocolate shake....[/quote

Nice try, but...1) that was the second year into touring and Jeff already would have been acquainted with everybody except MAYBE Jim Hines, and 2) there wasn't a Florida date during that tour. Smiley

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 09:24:07 AM »

I guess you got me?
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 05:58:45 AM »

Many people don't realize this but several years ago, Foskett did attempt to an autobiography. It was never published but drafts of it have leaked out to certain people. I obtained a copy. Here are a few excerpts:

We had just begun touring Pet Sounds and I was getting acquainted with everybody. Once, in Florida, we stopped at a diner and I ordered a chocolate shake. Brian looked at me and said, "Hey, it's Chocolate Shake Man! It's Chocolate Shake Man!" We all laughed. I said, "Right on, Brian." The next day we get together and rehearse. Brian was sitting behind the keyboard when I walked in. He said, "There's our Chocolate Shake Man!" Everybody laughed again. I said, "Right on, Brian." After that, he kept calling me Chocolate Shake Man at every opportunity he could. One time, we were in an important meeting with Sanctuary Records, trying to secure a deal for Pet Sounds Live. An executive introduced himself to us. He said, "And who are you?" I said, "I'm Je..." I looked over at Brian who shot me an angry look. I looked back at the executive. "I'm Chocolate Shake Man," I told him. The executive quickly moved on to someone else.

A few weeks later, we were at a diner and I ordered a strawberry shake. Someone (I won't say who) pulled me aside and told me that they didn't approve of my order, and that if I didn't order a chocolate shake pronto, I would be left at the next truck stop. I'm still not sure why they wouldn't have just left me at the diner, rather than drive to a truck stop. I asked, but the person didn't have a very good idea why either. Needless to say, I ordered a chocolate shake because I like the drink anyway.

From Chapter Seven ("On the Road Again")

I had a great stage banter idea. I approached Brian one day and said, Brian, I have this good idea for a joke you can tell on stage. He looked back, smiling. I said, "You can ask everyone in the audience to hold up their lighter." He giggled at this. Then I said, "Then you can say, 'I'm going to count the lighters.'" He started to laugh. "Then you can just start counting: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6." He was really guffawing now. I was quite pleased with myself until I looked behind me and realized that Brian was watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond the whole time. It was one about Ray being aggravated by his mother. We both sat and watched the episode together. The next day, Darian pitched him the same joke and Brian went for it in a big way.

From Chapter Three ("Listen to the Band")

Originally the name was Papa Papa Doo Doo Run Run. And while I wasn't in the band yet, I knew that this was a big mistake. I said, "That sounds stupid." They asked why. And I said that I thought the name was a bit too long. And so they came back with Papa Doo Doo Run Run. And I said, "No, that still doesn't work." And they came back with Papa Doo Run Run. I was getting pretty irritated at this point so I just said, "Yeah, great. Whatever." They seemed happy with this response and the rest was history.

LOL Some great ones in this thread...We really should have a section titled "Beach Boys Fiction"
Billf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 07:28:01 AM »

This is very funny stuff. Thanks. Keep em coming!
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 07:50:04 AM »

[/quote]

Good lord, I thought Brian was Ron Perlman.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 08:27:01 AM »

Chapter 23 - "Club Kokomo"

Cork hat? Check.
Camoflouge? Check.
Eye black and knee pads? Check and check.

It was just another day on the set of Club Kokomo.

The boys were all set to shoot another intimate campfire scene for their big TV special. It was a brilliant idea, a chance for Brian, Mike, and the rest of the group to let their hair down, talk about the old days and sing songs together. Like they always used to.

Well, Mike didn't have much hair by this point in his life, but you get the sentiment. I loved it.

My job was to hide in the bushes, off camera, and double Brian's falsetto. No one was supposed to know. For some reason, they picked a really thorny bush. When I asked why, they told me that people would be less likely to poke around in a thorny bush, as opposed to a normal, more comfortable bush. There was less risk I'd be detected and ruin the charade.

The logic held up, and I don't think anyone ever found out about my role until I published this book!

Let me tell you, it was really hard to double a falsetto when you're in a bush, especially Brian's magical falsetto. I was sweaty and covered in mosquito bites from head to toe. At one point, I even thought I'd contracted maleria. I had a doctor examine me and everything. I was fortunate to pass with a clean bill of health.

Despite all the challenges, I believe I gave a flawless performance. Just rewatching the scenes before writing this chapter, I couldn't even tell I was there. Brian sounded great, too, all thanks to me.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »

Sigh...you people Todd Gold-ing Jeff's autobio haven't done any research, have you?

Jeff wasn't hiding at all -- he was right there with 'em in clear visibility in the "campfire" scenes.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 03:06:42 PM »

That was Jeff Foskett's body double. He was judged to be slightly more photogenic than the real Foskett.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:09:40 PM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 03:25:14 PM »

Ahh. Got it.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 03:53:10 PM »

everyone keeps talking about 'brian's guys' who are almost described as bouncers/bodyguards/thugs.

my question is who the hell are those guys and is foskett their deity?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »

Such a great thread. I wonder what Jeff would think reading through some of the fan fiction written about him

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »

Probably could care less, and rightly so.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »

I'd imagine he'd either laugh or be a bit weirded out by the fact fan fiction was being written about him. But not caring is also an option, if you wanna be BORING   Azn

Gohi
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 05:22:18 AM »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=couldn%27t%20care%20less
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2014, 05:28:25 AM »

You mean.. he does care? Cheesy
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 05:32:56 AM »

I think Foskett would be honored. Hell, I'd be happy if I got enough attention that people felt the need to write fan fiction about me. And it's not like any of us are saying he's bad at his job. He was an important part of Brian's band.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2014, 05:40:19 AM »

I think Foskett would be honored. Hell, I'd be happy if I got enough attention that people felt the need to write fan fiction about me. And it's not like any of us are saying he's bad at his job. He was an important part of Brian's band.
He's one of the most important characters in the last chapters of the BW / BBs story. Being in the 'official' Beach Boys (again) now is kind of a great epilogue. I hope he's having a good time.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2014, 06:14:57 AM »

We had just begun touring Pet Sounds and I was getting acquainted with everybody. Once, in Florida, we stopped at a diner and I ordered a chocolate shake. Brian looked at me and said, "Hey, it's Chocolate Shake Man! It's Chocolate Shake Man!" We all laughed. I said, "Right on, Brian." The next day we get together and rehearse. Brian was sitting behind the keyboard when I walked in. He said, "There's our Chocolate Shake Man!" Everybody laughed again. I said, "Right on, Brian." After that, he kept calling me Chocolate Shake Man at every opportunity he could.

Up until this point it sounds like a true story. Good work! LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx