gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:19:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: rank the ten members of the band in order of preference and contributions  (Read 7199 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 07:43:12 PM »

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:46:57 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 07:45:39 PM »

Wha?  You didn't believe me??  Would I lie to ya?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:50 PM »

Just linking the story and confirming the facts mam. police
Nicko1234
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »

It clearly means member of the touring band...

In the same way that Jeff Foskett became a full time member again recently.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 11:25:46 PM »

here's a quick little exercise, take each of the ten past and present official members of The Beach Boys, and rank them in order of preference and contributions to the band. no.1 should be straight forward, but then it get's difficult. you are free to add reasons for your choices, if you like.

You do realize we had all 10 of them, right?  No need to choose one or the other.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »

Not to me it doesn't. There's no "touring" in the wording of that sentence. To most readers, including me, it means he's simply a member of the band. And "full-fledged", as I clarified above, means he not only played on stage, but making records and doing whatever a full member does. That article didn't limit Ed to be a touring musician. And he wasn't just a backup musician, he recorded on a few records too. It could be misconstrued, and some would think the article gave him more credit than credit was due.

Ya know, Al Jardine wasn't a "full-fledged" member of the Beach Boys until 1973.  Grin

Nicko1234
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 07:45:41 AM »

Not to me it doesn't. There's no "touring" in the wording of that sentence. To most readers, including me, it means he's simply a member of the band. And "full-fledged", as I clarified above, means he not only played on stage, but making records and doing whatever a full member does. That article didn't limit Ed to be a touring musician. And he wasn't just a backup musician, he recorded on a few records too. It could be misconstrued, and some would think the article gave him more credit than credit was due.

Ya know, Al Jardine wasn't a "full-fledged" member of the Beach Boys until 1973.  Grin

Yeah and he didn`t record on a lot more.

You are right that the article could be misconstrued. I`m not sure why anyone would take a local newspaper`s words as gospel though.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 08:48:14 AM »

I didn't take it as gospel, and that's why I tried to clarify and questioned it after I posted it. Assuming the paper took Ed at his word and didn't write in their own take on his history and status in the band, then I'm assuming info coming from the horse's mouth in an interview is the final word until an untruth is revealed.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 09:02:57 AM »

1. Brian - Okay, the guy had some problems. As Carl said, he was the "Stalin of the studio." And he did force the band to stare at a bobble-head doll while they were recording confusing lyrics for Smile about Geronimo. Then there was the time when the rest of the band were recording their own song, "Add Some Music" and Brian came down to play some bizarre two-chord thing on the piano, his sole offering for the Sunflower album. Aside from all that, he did a good job.
2. Dennis - They said he lived a fast life but maybe he just liked a fast life.
3. Carl - He was the only person who supported Dennis, and listened intently to his music particularly after Dennis helped him do heavy lifting. Once called Brian the "Stalin of the studio." Extra points for being the only son to attend Murry's funeral - a good choice as that's where the deal to release Endless Summer was made.
4. Mike - A good man but once threw a deck chair in a rage. An excellent wordsmith despite not knowing what the literary device "alliteration" means.
5. Al - Kind of a background guy who mostly said some stuff in order to join in on group discussions. May have once called Brian the "Stalin of the studio" -- can't exactly recall at the moment.
6. Bruce - They're not saying "Boo"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 09:05:19 AM »

"And he did force the band to stare at a bobble-head doll while they were recording confusing lyrics for Smile about Geronimo."

Nice one  LOL LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nicko1234
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 09:08:29 AM »

I didn't take it as gospel, and that's why I tried to clarify and questioned it after I posted it. Assuming the paper took Ed at his word and didn't write in their own take on his history and status in the band, then I'm assuming info coming from the horse's mouth in an interview is the final word until an untruth is revealed.

If it were a direct quote from him then I could agree. But the article is almost entirely focused on touring and it is easy to see how a comment of something like, `I was full time with The Beach Boys from 1975 to 1995` could be written down as, `I was a full time member of the band`.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »

Right.  The words "full-fledged" are the ones that got me. To me, that means he was one of the actual band members (i.e. with Brian, Mike, Carl, Dennis, Al, Blondie, & Ricky). But he was portrayed on the album covers and concert programs as a supporting musician! I think maybe the paper article exaggerated a little bit.

You know, Nick, if you look at the inner sleeve of the "In Concert" album from '73, Ed Carter was behind the 8 ball. Literally!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:04:52 AM by Mikie » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 10:00:54 AM »

You know, Nick, if you look at the inner sleeve of the "In Concert" album from '73, Ed Carter was behind the 8 ball. Literally!

LOL   Great line!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »

Is that true or was he just not a member of BRI until then?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »

Is that true or was he just not a member of BRI until then?
Just BRI. Prior to becoming a Corporate owner, he was full-fledged just like Bruce, Ricky and Blondie after him, and David before him. By the way, is Dave still considered a Beach Boy today?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »

Doesn't "full-fledged" mean you're also a member of BRI?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »

There was a discussion about who played what on a Beach Boys record. The subject of the "Beach Boys In Concert" ('73) came up. Somebody wanted to know who played that excellent lead guitar riff in the middle of Rhonda. One guy said it was Carl. Another said Blondie. I said Ed Carter.

It remains inconclusive......

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 12:46:43 PM »

Was Ed Carter asked to be a beach boy?

Ed "Steady Eddie" Carter was recruited into the Beach Boys by Bruce Johnston in 1968. He became a full-fledged member in 1975 and left the band in 1995.

"full-fledged" nope

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »

Doesn't "full-fledged" mean you're also a member of BRI?
Yes, but only if stated that for BRI, not The Beach Boys as a rock band. Think of BRI as the Corporate Board of Directors and The Beach Boys as one of the companies under that corporate umbrella.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.