gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:15:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508151 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 21, 2015, 07:16:35 AM »

Many top-dollar major motion pictures release their soundtracks well in advance of the film's release, but I've noticed lately that some indie/lesser-known films wait to release their soundtracks when the blu-ray is released (notably the recent film 'Living In The Age of Airplanes' which has a phenomenal score by the late James Horner). So I still have high hopes that it will be released.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 21, 2015, 07:18:25 AM »

And when Banks confronts Landy who was ranting and raving outside the office door, all full of insults and bravado and his pseudo-machismo testosterone-fueled bullying trip...it was *that* scene that I think generated one of the bigger audience reactions both at the shows I saw and from other reports from viewers. Banks strikes the perfect pose and shoots the perfect look at the doctor as she swings open the door. It's not overblown, it's not overacted, it's not getting into "Mommie Dearest" territory...

Rather, it's the perfect, even understated to a degree, facial and body expression of the words "Checkmate, you asshole."

Of course Melinda (Banks) could do that - she had just heard her nemesis (Landy) get served!  Talk about perfect timing and cause & effect.

In the end credits of L&M I saw something go by called 'FUN, FUN, FUN Dance Sequence', followed by some names.  WHAT (F,F,F) dance sequence?
KDS
« Reply #1777 on: July 21, 2015, 07:23:37 AM »

And when Banks confronts Landy who was ranting and raving outside the office door, all full of insults and bravado and his pseudo-machismo testosterone-fueled bullying trip...it was *that* scene that I think generated one of the bigger audience reactions both at the shows I saw and from other reports from viewers. Banks strikes the perfect pose and shoots the perfect look at the doctor as she swings open the door. It's not overblown, it's not overacted, it's not getting into "Mommie Dearest" territory...

Rather, it's the perfect, even understated to a degree, facial and body expression of the words "Checkmate, you asshole."

Of course Melinda (Banks) could do that - she had just heard her nemesis (Landy) get served!  Talk about perfect timing and cause & effect.

In the end credits of L&M I saw something go by called 'FUN, FUN, FUN Dance Sequence', followed by some names.  WHAT (F,F,F) dance sequence?

Probably part of the Beach Boys early years montage during the opening credits. 
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: July 23, 2015, 08:13:08 AM »

Probably part of the Beach Boys early years montage during the opening credits. 

That's correct, about 30 seconds of a recreation of The T.A.M.I. Show concludes the opening montage.

Off topic, a  nice one on one interview with Elizabeth Banks I just found on YouTube, posted a couple of days ago.  I can think of worst things than staring at EB for 13+ minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhKOH-hEGTo

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 24, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »

I saw the film again last night. It was playing in an old 1920's era theatre.  I think I enjoyed it even more the second time as there were a few things I hadn't picked up on the first time. One thing I thought was done brilliantly (and forgive me if it's already been discussed here) was the camera angles during the scene when Brian is looking at the SMiLE tapes and Murry comes in and tells him he just sold Sea of Tunes. Rather than showing the whole scene, many shots are half obscured by a wall or door way suggesting that the viewer is catching this pivotal scene play out by eavesdropping on these two. It's as if no one was supposed to be privy to this moment, yet here we are sneakily catching it. Great directing.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: July 24, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »

I saw the film again last night. It was playing in an old 1920's era theatre.  I think I enjoyed it even more the second time as there were a few things I hadn't picked up on the first time. One thing I thought was done brilliantly (and forgive me if it's already been discussed here) was the camera angles during the scene when Brian is looking at the SMiLE tapes and Murry comes in and tells him he just sold Sea of Tunes. Rather than showing the whole scene, many shots are half obscured by a wall or door way suggesting that the viewer is catching this pivotal scene play out by eavesdropping on these two. It's as if no one was supposed to be privy to this moment, yet here we are sneakily catching it. Great directing.

That sounds like an awesome experience, at the vintage theater.

Very astute call about how DP Robert Yeoman and Director Bill Pohlad handled many of those in studio scenes.  The "Here Today" scene has that same 'fly on the wall' feel.

DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 24, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »

Interesting...L&M was just released in theaters in my area (Charleston, WV) today.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 24, 2015, 01:21:28 PM »

Yep, I noticed that too.  It is now playing in a town (Springfield, Ohio) about 1 hour from where I live (Columbus, Ohio).  The film is finally done running in Columbus it would appear, as of yesterday. 

This could portend that some "smaller" markets will get the film now as Roadside Attractions tries to finish the run in out of the way (non-metropolitan) areas.  From what I've read on some movie sites, that's pretty common these days.

Moral of the story, keep an eye out! Smiley

DennysDrums83
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 25, 2015, 01:27:46 PM »

Yep, I noticed that too.  It is now playing in a town (Springfield, Ohio) about 1 hour from where I live (Columbus, Ohio).  The film is finally done running in Columbus it would appear, as of yesterday. 

This could portend that some "smaller" markets will get the film now as Roadside Attractions tries to finish the run in out of the way (non-metropolitan) areas.  From what I've read on some movie sites, that's pretty common these days.

Moral of the story, keep an eye out! Smiley

I drove the 3 hours to Columbus the day it opened to see it.  Glad it is finally playing in my area.  Will probably see it multiple times this coming week.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 26, 2015, 01:02:54 AM »

This probably means nothing (other than that I'm looking for a puff of smoke on the horizon) but the soundtrack for the film MAGGIE was just released on July 24th.  The film came out on May 8th.  What do the film MAGGIE and LOVE & MERCY have to do with each other?  Nothing, except that they were both released by Roadside Attractions.

I guess if there's one thing to hang your hope on, regarding a soundtrack for L&M, is that at least in this one case the soundtrack was released nearly 2 & 1/2 months after the film came out.  Coincidentally, the Blu-ray & DVD that MAGGIE just came out this past week too.

Maybe there's still hope! Shrug

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1785 on: July 26, 2015, 07:12:14 AM »

Here's hoping.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: July 26, 2015, 07:29:10 AM »

Maybe they are holding off a tad bit because of NPP<though it has been a few months for NPP>
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: July 27, 2015, 12:34:45 PM »

Sweet God in heaven...let this be true:

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Mercy-Soundtrack/dp/B0123VJ88I/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1438025645&sr=8-13&keywords=love+and+mercy+soundtrack

Audio CD (September 18, 2015)
Label: Capitol
ASIN: B0123VJ88I

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: July 27, 2015, 01:17:58 PM »

Holy sh*t I hope so!!!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: July 27, 2015, 06:26:10 PM »

Sweet God in heaven...let this be true:

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Mercy-Soundtrack/dp/B0123VJ88I/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1438025645&sr=8-13&keywords=love+and+mercy+soundtrack

Audio CD (September 18, 2015)
Label: Capitol
ASIN: B0123VJ88I

Why does this wonderful news not have it's own thread

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: July 27, 2015, 06:43:10 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18556.0.html

Cool Guy

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1791 on: July 28, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »

BTW....saw L&M for the FOURTH time this weekend...(four times, four different theaters!)...and just wanted to mention this:

During the scene when the Wilson brothers are talking shortly after VDP leaves -- when Brian is wrapped up in a towel -- close your eyes and listen to how Carl says "We have to stick together, brothers."

Have a box of tissues ready.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1792 on: July 28, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »

BTW....saw L&M for the FOURTH time this weekend...(four times, four different theaters!)...and just wanted to mention this:

During the scene when the Wilson brothers are talking shortly after VDP leaves -- when Brian is wrapped up in a towel -- close your eyes and listen to how Carl says "We have to stick together, brothers."

Have a box of tissues ready.

Great observation. This film has so many instances where a line of dialogue can seem to slip by the first time you watch, but on repeated viewings you'll catch multiple layers of meaning in the words. On repeat viewings, a lot of the words spoken can become more important to the overall story as they're processed, especially if you know more of the history than the average moviegoer. The use of dialogue still feels casual and conversational, in other words "real", yet the style of L&M is almost the antithesis of a director like Robert Altman with his layered and overlapping dialogue that sometimes blended into white noise. Words really matter in L&M, you have to pay attention to the whole film to catch certain key lines.

The one that shattered me on later viewings was Marilyn calling out to Brian from the Bellagio house as he sat poolside staring into a neglected and dirty swimming pool, a symbol earlier in the storyline of everything from endless possibilities ahead to the deep end versus shallow end symbolism of the Smile project slipping away. Note the soundtrack as Brian is underwater near the end. And note the words Marilyn is calling out, it's one of the most powerful scenes in the film which I just didn't catch the first time.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: July 28, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »

The one that shattered me on later viewings was Marilyn calling out to Brian from the Bellagio house as he sat poolside staring into a neglected and dirty swimming pool, a symbol earlier in the storyline of everything from endless possibilities ahead to the deep end versus shallow end symbolism of the Smile project slipping away. Note the soundtrack as Brian is underwater near the end. And note the words Marilyn is calling out, it's one of the most powerful scenes in the film which I just didn't catch the first time.

I agree. That is one of the most profound scenes in the film, imo.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:14:14 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1794 on: July 28, 2015, 12:42:37 PM »

Totes agreed.

But in the Carl line, I'm not talking about the actual line he says: I'm talking about the voice. He could have said, "Joey, where's the pterodactyl soup gun? I want to go switch a tracer" and it would have been just as...*whoa*.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: July 28, 2015, 12:56:28 PM »

Just passing it along that there is a spectacular article in American Cinematographer (July 2015).  If you are obsessed with this film, as I am, it is a must read and own.  Also, there are several on set photos that I have yet to see anywhere else.  Including one of Paul Dano (as 'Brian Past') in bed at the Bel-Air house circa early 1970s.  Just stunning stuff.

I really appreciate the gifts that people like Robert Yeoman (the director of photography) posses.  There's an art to getting a specific look and this film pulls off multiple looks for the different periods so well.  He and Bill Pohlad deserve a ton of accolades of this film, I hope they are remembered next spring.

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: July 30, 2015, 08:25:34 AM »

from my earlier postings re. supposed 'Fun, Fun, Fun dance sequence', and a 30 sec. TAMI show recreation in opening montage - the Beach Boys did not perform F,F,F in the old TAMI Show movie.  doesn't make sense.

L&M continues playing on 3 local theatre screens that I know of next week
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:28:55 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: July 30, 2015, 08:28:31 AM »

from my earlier postings re. supposed 'Fun, Fun, Fun dance sequence', and a TAMI show recreation - the Beach Boys did not perform F,F,F in the old TAMI Show m,ovie

I'm just curious, does that sort of inaccuracy bother you?

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: July 30, 2015, 08:31:45 AM »

a 'Dance, Dance, Dance' dance sequence would belabor the obvious (LOL)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:36:36 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1799 on: July 30, 2015, 09:26:43 AM »

from my earlier postings re. supposed 'Fun, Fun, Fun dance sequence', and a 30 sec. TAMI show recreation in opening montage - the Beach Boys did not perform F,F,F in the old TAMI Show movie.  doesn't make sense.

Who says that was supposed to be the TAMI Show and not another performance with a similar layout?  Smiley

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx