gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:21:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508311 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1700 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »

Rather good review in the UK's serious film magazine, Sight and Sound - and a little feature too.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 07, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »

Love Sight & Sound.  Don't think they've posted it on their site yet, I've been looking.  Do you recall if it's the most recent edition with "Inside Out" on the cover?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1702 on: July 07, 2015, 04:39:30 PM »

The Guardian printed a review in September too. Also 3 stars out of 5.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/sep/08/love-and-mercy-review-brian-wilson-biopic

Both reviewers express some qualms, but seem to have appreciated enough aspects of the movie to give it 4 out of 5. Just 3 stars seems rather stingy.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: July 07, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »

NPR - Why Films About Musicians Leave So Much Music Off Screen

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/07/07/420818746/why-films-about-musicians-leave-so-much-music-off-screen?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20150707

The first half is Amy-centric.  Love & Mercy is brought up about half way through.  Plus a comparison of the mentioned musicians with the Fantastic Four!  Wilson is the first named mentioned in the comparison, so I guess that makes him Mr. Fantastic.

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: July 07, 2015, 11:23:15 PM »

Thanks for the links..

I'll pass one along myself:

The Subtlety of VFX: Working on “Love And Mercy” this is the company/group that did the visual effects on Love & Mercy.

http://blog.themolecule.com/?p=2633

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1705 on: July 08, 2015, 04:11:05 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/sep/08/love-and-mercy-review-brian-wilson-biopic

Both reviewers express some qualms, but seem to have appreciated enough aspects of the movie to give it 4 out of 5. Just 3 stars seems rather stingy.

It's Brian Wilson, not Amy Winehouse. Had it come out when Brian was touring Smile, they would've given it five.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:14:33 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1706 on: July 08, 2015, 04:12:02 AM »

Love Sight & Sound.  Don't think they've posted it on their site yet, I've been looking.  Do you recall if it's the most recent edition with "Inside Out" on the cover?

Yep. Far better review than the one in The Guardian.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 08, 2015, 05:07:04 AM »

This still looks like it might have been taken from a scene that was excised from the film.  I continue to marvel at how "right" this all looks.  I know there are some scenes director Pohlad has referenced from the SMiLE era that were cut (probably due to running time).  Let's all huddle in prayer for a longer cut and/or deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray/DVD.

group hug

More hi-res exclusive stills that to my eyes are new.  Very cool.

http://blogs.virginmedia.com/movies/blogs/exclusive-stills-from-love-and-mercy

Funnily enough my brother wrote the Virgin piece. He also gave the film 5/5 here (without the puns!):

http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/review/love--mercy.php

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 08, 2015, 05:37:48 AM »

I know there are some scenes director Pohlad has referenced from the SMiLE era that were cut (probably due to running time).  Let's all huddle in prayer for a longer cut and/or deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray/DVD.

I think the Smile scenes were removed simply because they weren't well-written. Not sure at which point that pic of Dano in the sandbox comes from. The H&V outtake?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: July 08, 2015, 06:49:48 AM »

I know there are some scenes director Pohlad has referenced from the SMiLE era that were cut (probably due to running time).  Let's all huddle in prayer for a longer cut and/or deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray/DVD.

I think the Smile scenes were removed simply because they weren't well-written. Not sure at which point that pic of Dano in the sandbox comes from. The H&V outtake?

That or maybe an unused flashback during the "2001" homage.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: July 08, 2015, 08:27:19 AM »

Well, it is entirely possible that they may not have been bowled over like so many have. It's not a mandate to hail it as a masterpiece.

I wish I could say I adored it, honestly--I wish I could be one of those who walked around the day after a screening feeling "changed". Alas, it didn't happen. Hopefully some repeat views on cable will warm me up to it.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1711 on: July 08, 2015, 09:15:39 AM »

Well, it is entirely possible that they may not have been bowled over like so many have. It's not a mandate to hail it as a masterpiece.

I wish I could say I adored it, honestly--I wish I could be one of those who walked around the day after a screening feeling "changed". Alas, it didn't happen. Hopefully some repeat views on cable will warm me up to it.

True, but being 'on trend' is important to the Guardian.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1712 on: July 08, 2015, 09:33:35 AM »

It affected me less the second time I saw it, but I still think it's extremely well-made. Granted that not everyone loves it, but my (small) point about the Guardian was that the text of the reviews seemed more positive than the 3 stars (it was definitely a small point).

For me, 3 out of 5 means ok, enjoyable, pretty good, nothing special, what I expected. So it makes sense they gave 3 to Ted 2 based on their review. I demand one more star!!!

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 10, 2015, 06:56:18 AM »

The star rating method never made sense to me. In the first place some people are using a 4 star method, others a 5 star method and it is not always clear which one. It comes down to you either like it or you don't.  So many aspects make up a film.....acting, narrative, music, cinematography, sound, editing, set design. I could not help but give high marks to all of those areas even if this were not about Brian.

A lot of new reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. A couple did not like it but a lot more fresh and again, several talking Oscars and being the biopic to beat. Bummer that the ratings have slipped to 89%, although, if the overall score was 59% it would still mean the majority liked it. 150 professional critics and 134 say go see it...many love it....pretty darn good.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1714 on: July 10, 2015, 07:37:58 AM »

If the film is still at 89%, that's very good for Rotten Tomatoes. Whether we should bother to weigh that site's rating particularly heavily is of course a separate question.

I've read a few media reviews for L&M that seem overly skeptical where I smell a bit of an agenda/bias, but that's just my hunch and nothing more.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 10, 2015, 08:09:47 AM »

Agreed. Any critic or website is not the be and end all. Most critics were underwhelmed by NPP and I love it. It DOES give the film more legs to stand on and a better chance to find a wider audience, and possibly snag some awards due to the overwhelming positive reviews.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 10, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »

'Love and Mercy' Star Paul Dano Nails It as Brian Wilson (an interview with Rolling Stone critic Peter Travers)

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/video/love-mercy-star-paul-dano-nails-brian-wilson-32344010

It is a very interesting concept that Dano maybe could have played both "Brian Past" and "Brian Future".  He inhabits "Brian Past" so well that I would have loved to have seen it.  But I don't know if 30 year old Paul Dano could convincingly play forty-something Brian Wilson against forty-something Elizabeth Banks.

Dano makes an excellent point about Brian in the 1980s being so different from Brian in 1960s and that he went into a "black hole"; coming out a very different person. 

I'm not sure it's possible that I could love this movie more than I do.   w00t!

Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1717 on: July 11, 2015, 08:09:11 AM »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:55:36 AM by Larry Franz » Logged

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 11, 2015, 08:54:42 AM »

For me the Guardian review was pretty much how I felt about the film and like Larry Franz I was less affected the second time I saw it. Like some people on this board I feel I know too much to enjoy any Brian Wilson/Beach Boy biopic. I think the film is well made and the actors do a good job but I get mired down in little details.I realized the other day that I am more familiar with Brian's and the Beach Boys physical appearances  then my own. I can look at a photo of any Beach Boy and tell you what year it is. I'm sure there are lots of other people here that can do the same.I think that the Beach Boys are much more interesting then any actor that would ever portray them. I think Dano came close to Brian's '64-'66 look but as good as Cusack was I just couldn't buy it. It's more my problem then his.I just prefer documentaries to this kind of biopic.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 11, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »

Finally getting a chance to see the film tonight, can't wait!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 11, 2015, 04:06:12 PM »

Hope it affects you as it did me!

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 12, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »

In the US this weekend, the film grossed a respectable $441,000.  It's down to 296 theaters.  Total gross is $11,337,000, so far.  For a little perspective, a film that opened much wider DOPE (opening weekend for that was over 2,000 screens) has settled at around $15 mil. 

L&M is still playing in 2 theaters in my city this week, through Thursday, and I plan to go back once more before then.  I'm afraid this might be the last week for my area - but I thought that last week too!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: July 13, 2015, 11:56:14 AM »

There was an absolute rave review on the Radio Four influential arts programme Front Row a few days ago.  I don't know iif this link will work:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b060bwdx#auto

but if it doesn't, go to iplayer and look down the Front Row programmes - their content is described.  Sadly, I don't think iPlayer woorks outside the UK.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1723 on: July 13, 2015, 12:10:41 PM »

Thanks. It worked here in the US. I wonder where the presenter got the idea the movie is based on a book by Melinda. Simply because she's portrayed in a very positive way?

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 16, 2015, 08:49:36 AM »

Nothing new here...press junket interview with Bill Pohlad

http://www.londonlive.co.uk/news/2015-07-15/bill-pohald-talks-love-mercy

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx