gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:15:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508320 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: July 01, 2015, 09:40:53 PM »

Waiting to purchase the film.   Not shown anywhere near here.       Also, I have netflix etc..........just waiting
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: July 01, 2015, 10:18:24 PM »

This blew way past my expectations. What a movie! When Love and Mercy popped up in the credits and then One Kind of Love I had to hold myself back in the tear department. Cusack and Dano killed it, I'm going more then once believe me.... The cinematography, the non-bias views (especially when it came to Mike, I particularly liked the bit where Brian was playing Be My Baby with Mike in the background frustrated but then showed his co-operative side when GV came up), the YSBIM scene good god so good!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: July 01, 2015, 10:19:11 PM »

Also living in the South of New Zealand made it a long wait! Plus had to go to select screening but 100% worth the wait  Afro
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: July 02, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/love_and_mercy/

The movie is now up to 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Still at 7.9 on IMDb, would love to see a late push to get it up to 8.0 on IMDb.  I'm not suggesting SSer's make their way over to that say and vote en masse but...

Hello

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: July 02, 2015, 12:45:36 PM »

I don't know if any of you have flickchart account (it's a fun way to waste time), but if you do make sure to add Love and Mercy!

http://www.flickchart.com/movie/43DE8877C4

Edit:  It made it to #4 on my list out of 450 movies.  Behind only Airplane, Fail Safe and Rear Window.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:48:46 PM by The Cincinnati Kid » Logged
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: July 02, 2015, 02:51:01 PM »

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/love_and_mercy/

The movie is now up to 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.  Still at 7.9 on IMDb, would love to see a late push to get it up to 8.0 on IMDb.  I'm not suggesting SSer's make their way over to that say and vote en masse but...

Hello

The audience score has dropped about 5 points since opening week but still also just above 90%. Kind of expected though, getting high marks from critics will drive quite a few people to the theater that may not relate to Brian's story. In any case this is a success. Now that a few weeks have passed, the duel performance is even more remarkable when I think about it. Hollywood should freshen it up and hand out a duel best actor award.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: July 02, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »

Just noticed this evening that the movie is now listed on iTunes for pre-order.  No street date yet, of course.

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: July 02, 2015, 07:57:25 PM »

Pet Sounds back on the BB200 this week, just poking in at 198. Sounds of Summer down to 170 from 131 last week:
http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: July 02, 2015, 08:05:14 PM »

Pet Sounds back on the BB200 this week, just poking in at 198. Sounds of Summer down to 170 from 131 last week:
http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

I've had Pet Sounds streaming almost non stop lately trying to help it get back into the top 200.  LOL  Even if it only makes a very small difference.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: July 02, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »

I actually made a CDR of just the backing tracks from the Pet Sounds Sessions so essentially, all instrumental Pet Sounds.  Listening to it constantly.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1685 on: July 02, 2015, 11:28:59 PM »

No longer being shown in Houston. I missed my chance to see it. Between this and missing my chance to meet Brian...f***.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: July 03, 2015, 12:21:59 AM »

Hm, at work today I was playing Heroes and Villains on the store speakers and one of the customers was humming along, so I asked him if he liked the playlist. He replied, "Yeah, I LOVE the Beach Boys!" So then I asked him if he had seen this movie and it didn't seem like he even know about it. So I don't know how this is being advertised or whatever... I don't have TV so I don't know if there are previews there.

The only reason I found out about this movie is through my friend, and I think the preview was on iTunes, and knowing I'm obsessed with them she showed it to me. That was before I joined this forum.

And yeah, it's been hovering at the high 7 range on imdb. I threw in a vote to help boost it up. :D

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: July 03, 2015, 04:04:32 AM »

I finally got to see it today after it came out here in Aus last week but I had a bad cold all week. I'd won tickets and was so bummed I couldn't go on the first day. Anyway, I took my best friend and had high expectations. It wasn't quite what I expected and I feel it could have been a little shorter but I really enjoyed it and want to see it again without first time expectations. My friend isn't much into Beach Boys but is a very a talented musician and she really loved it, I thought she was bored at one point but turns out she was very moved by the whole thing and was crying at the end. I wish it was out on Blu-ray already, it's going to suck waiting for it.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: July 03, 2015, 08:26:34 AM »

Hm, at work today I was playing Heroes and Villains on the store speakers and one of the customers was humming along, so I asked him if he liked the playlist. He replied, "Yeah, I LOVE the Beach Boys!" So then I asked him if he had seen this movie and it didn't seem like he even know about it. So I don't know how this is being advertised or whatever... I don't have TV so I don't know if there are previews there.

The only reason I found out about this movie is through my friend, and I think the preview was on iTunes, and knowing I'm obsessed with them she showed it to me. That was before I joined this forum.

And yeah, it's been hovering at the high 7 range on imdb. I threw in a vote to help boost it up. :D

The ads were all over cable TV before it opened.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: July 03, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »

BBC Radio 4's Front Row arts prog reviewed it in extremely favourable terms this evening.

The presenter said the film was based on a book by Melinda. News to me, so…

Was this:

A) a complete error?

B) a previously unknown truth?

C) nothing to do with the movie but Melinda has taken over the writing of Brian's (auto)biography from Jason Fine?

You have five minutes… turn over your papers now.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: July 03, 2015, 06:33:35 PM »

BBC Radio 4's Front Row arts prog reviewed it in extremely favourable terms this evening.

Was this:

A) a complete error?

C) nothing to do with the movie but Melinda has taken over the writing of Brian's (auto)biography from Jason Fine?

The presenter read the Cliff Notes that described the book being written by MEL, and jumped to the Melinda conclusion....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: July 03, 2015, 06:56:14 PM »

Was this:

A) a complete error?

The presenter read the Cliff Notes that described the book being written by MEL, and jumped to the Melinda conclusion....

Ding, ding, ding I think we have a winner.  Conflated M. Lerner (Michael Lerner) with M. Ledbetter.  Best guess.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: July 03, 2015, 11:00:28 PM »

Was this:

A) a complete error?

1). MEL?

2). MAL?

Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: July 03, 2015, 11:30:35 PM »

INDY Week
FRIDAY, JULY 3, 2015
FILM / REVIEWS
Movie review: Love & Mercy surfs the troubled waters of Beach Boys maestro Brian Wilson

http://www.indyweek.com/arts/archives/2015/07/03/movie-review-love-and-mercy-surfs-the-troubled-waters-of-beach-boys-maestro-brian-wilson
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: July 04, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »

L&M is running in six theaters by now in the greater DC area....and if you see the film tomorrow in one of them, if someone in the audience looks remarkably like actor Eddie Deezen, well-remembered for cornering the market in nerd roles in the late '70s and '80s....well, it's probably because it's him. On his Facebook feed today he announced that he was going to Washington tomorrow to see the movie because it never ran in his hometown in far western Maryland where he's been staying the last few months.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: July 04, 2015, 09:23:13 PM »

It's still showing in Athens, GA.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: July 05, 2015, 10:49:45 PM »

Also passing a milestone this weekend was Roadside/Lionsgate’s Love & Mercy, which easily crossed $10M in its 5th frame. The title grossed $725,500 in 444 theaters, averaging $1,634 ($10,513,315 cume).

http://deadline.com/2015/07/amy-winehouse-cartel-land-faith-of-our-fathers-jimmys-hall-specialty-box-office-1201470875/

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: July 06, 2015, 08:14:40 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/06/love-and-mercy-brian-wilson

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1698 on: July 06, 2015, 08:27:35 AM »

L&M was released in France last Wednesday, I saw it today, and have nothing but praise for it. Apart from a few very technical details that don't get in the way of the story (such as: the car Brian bought was a brown Seville, not a blue Fleetwood), everything is amazingly detailed and precise. Very good actors, even for second roles. The soundtrack is of course excellent, and the songs were obviously carefully chosen for each scene, it really shows.

I'm watching it again tomorrow.

...and just a note about Carl's role in getting Landy away from Brian: some have said in this thread that Carl's efforts had not been accurately represented, but I have to disagree. Melinda keeps calling him, and the few paragraphs at the end of the movie make it clear that Carl, along with Melinda, had a key role in the process.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:28:26 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: July 07, 2015, 09:33:34 AM »

This still looks like it might have been taken from a scene that was excised from the film.  I continue to marvel at how "right" this all looks.  I know there are some scenes director Pohlad has referenced from the SMiLE era that were cut (probably due to running time).  Let's all huddle in prayer for a longer cut and/or deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray/DVD.

group hug

More hi-res exclusive stills that to my eyes are new.  Very cool.

http://blogs.virginmedia.com/movies/blogs/exclusive-stills-from-love-and-mercy

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx