gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 10:20:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 511406 times)
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: June 12, 2015, 03:23:07 AM »

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 03:29:49 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: June 12, 2015, 05:02:56 AM »

Pet Sounds has re-entered the Billboard album chart at #182, and Sounds of Summer is up from #181 to #136.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: June 12, 2015, 07:32:23 AM »

MSN, itself, has finally copied Associated Press' article.  It's the same review from a few other links, so nothing new here.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/reviews/review-dano-cusack-hit-the-right-notes-in-love-and-mercy/ar-BBkAGln

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: June 12, 2015, 08:13:50 AM »

Love & Mercy grossed $ 2 122 177 on its premiere day in the USA according to IMDB.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1604 on: June 12, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »

If this movie does well financially, as it seems likely to do, maybe that will encourage someone to resuscitate the Dennis Wilson movie, "The Drummer". Just a thought.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1605 on: June 15, 2015, 01:33:54 PM »

Ahhh, someone's at it again...I won't mention the name, but....I'll just use a pseudonym. Let's say Charlene Potassium said this:

Some of you have asked my opinion on the "movie"......
>>>>>>>>>Ahhh Grimm's Fairy Tale.......nothing in it is true about the Studio Musicians - how would anyone know it was true or not when they never were on those dates?...... I'm not a ditsy gal sitting in a fire hat, that never happened....and no Brian never did music in "two keys"...that was invented by people who have NO IDEA what he did....plus I never looked like that at all..... 
and no, the "world according to Hal Blaine" never existed.....he didn't "help Brian" at all...and the wifey? that's the biggest one of all.....some of her fans call her "Melinda"....but good you heard the music, that's the only thing in it that's real. For people who love fantasy, they get a good dose of it there. 
And if anyone reading this is angry at what I say, then yes...."the movie is perfect, all of it is true!"......that should make you feel better, (signed) The "Bimbo"! 
Glad I don't live anywhere near Hollyweird any more!
PS....just so EVERYONE KNOWS .....STUDIO MUSICIANS have been around since 1920s recording record dates, movie sound tracks etc.....we've NEVER been known by ANY OTHER NAME.....all 350-400 STUDIO MUSICIANS were NEVER A BAND....ALL OF US WERE FREELANCE, and mostly Jazz Musicians.......anything else someone tries to name us something else... is BULLSHIT. Real Journalists know this....see our real Interviews here: www.howardrobertsproject.com

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1606 on: June 15, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »

Ahhh, someone's at it again...I won't mention the name, but....I'll just use a pseudonym. Let's say Charlene Potassium said this:

Some of you have asked my opinion on the "movie"......
>>>>>>>>>Ahhh Grimm's Fairy Tale.......nothing in it is true about the Studio Musicians - how would anyone know it was true or not when they never were on those dates?...... I'm not a ditsy gal sitting in a fire hat, that never happened....and no Brian never did music in "two keys"...that was invented by people who have NO IDEA what he did....plus I never looked like that at all..... 
and no, the "world according to Hal Blaine" never existed.....he didn't "help Brian" at all...and the wifey? that's the biggest one of all.....some of her fans call her "Melinda"....but good you heard the music, that's the only thing in it that's real. For people who love fantasy, they get a good dose of it there. 
And if anyone reading this is angry at what I say, then yes...."the movie is perfect, all of it is true!"......that should make you feel better, (signed) The "Bimbo"! 
Glad I don't live anywhere near Hollyweird any more!
PS....just so EVERYONE KNOWS .....STUDIO MUSICIANS have been around since 1920s recording record dates, movie sound tracks etc.....we've NEVER been known by ANY OTHER NAME.....all 350-400 STUDIO MUSICIANS were NEVER A BAND....ALL OF US WERE FREELANCE, and mostly Jazz Musicians.......anything else someone tries to name us something else... is BULLSHIT. Real Journalists know this....see our real Interviews here: www.howardrobertsproject.com

I think she's finally gone off the deep end.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: June 15, 2015, 02:18:54 PM »

Why would CK be so bent out of shape about LOVE & MERCY?  I don't get it.  It's not as though she is portrayed negatively. 

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: June 15, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »

Can Craig or Adam or someone confirm if WIBN does in fact include two bass lines in two different keys?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: June 15, 2015, 02:41:48 PM »

Why would CK be so bent out of shape about LOVE & MERCY?  I don't get it.  It's not as though she is portrayed negatively. 

CK not wearing a fireman hat? I put that on par to the wrong car been shown. Its a movie, so just enjoy it.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: June 15, 2015, 02:46:48 PM »

CK not wearing a fireman hat? I put that on par to the wrong car been shown. Its a movie, so just enjoy it.

I think you're on to something.  She just posted this nugget:

"Professional woman portrayed as a silly fireman's hat-wearing do-do lie yes.....good one, for others to emulate. - not....it's...slander and misogyny."

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: June 15, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »

Is it slanderous and misogynous for Brian to be wearing a fire helmet and then walking into a session flailing lit candles around?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: June 15, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »

Is it slanderous and misogynous for Brian to be wearing a fire helmet and then walking into a session flailing lit candles around?

I can only guess she is referring back to the "Brian, I think you made a mistake here, this bassline has two different keys".  Just personal opinion here, but one has to take a gigantic leap to get from that 10-20 second scene to misogyny.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1613 on: June 15, 2015, 03:16:23 PM »

I can only guess she is referring back to the "Brian, I think you made a mistake here, this bassline has two different keys".  Just personal opinion here, but one has to take a gigantic leap to get from that 10-20 second scene to misogyny.

I think the actual phrase she used was "screwed up." Just imagine what would have happened if she had said that to Spector. Smiley

I think it's more than that...I think she's in general upset with how she was portrayed in the film. She says she was portrayed as a "bimbo" and I think "ditz" was another term she used to describe how her character came across.

So....she didn't like how she was portrayed in Love & Mercy. But she liked how she was portrayed in An American Family. What does that say about her credibility?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: June 15, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »

Can Craig or Adam or someone confirm if WIBN does in fact include two bass lines in two different keys?

Not quite, but the movie is onto something. Nothing groundbreaking or bizarre. But the chords to the bridge of WIBN, if played without its bassline sound as if they're in A major. The bass plays in D major, and above it those chords sound like 7-9 chords (i.e. chords with mild dissonances). No professional musician of CK's calliber could have been dazzled by it; the arrangement and harmonic conception of the song is brilliant nevertheless.

If the episode really occured-- it could be that Brian (out of naivetè) gave the musicians chord charts in two different keys.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:12:52 PM by Autotune » Logged

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1615 on: June 15, 2015, 05:00:33 PM »

I'm chalking this up to senility. She's getting more & more bizarre with each post.  
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: June 15, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »

So she, VDP, probably Mike and anyone else that is not the focal point of the movie is gonna bitch about absolutely what amounts to insignificant details huh? Major case of insecurity and sour grapes on the part of all of them. I guess Carol and VDP would have been happy if the filmmakers had consulted them. Lord knows we can always be sure their recollections are spot on. These people were a blip in the life of Brian and the movie is HIS story. Get over it.

Oh, but it's ok for her to take credit for playing on beach boys songs that she never played on. Class act.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1617 on: June 15, 2015, 05:30:56 PM »

So she, VDP, probably Mike and anyone else that is not the focal point of the movie is gonna bitch about absolutely what amounts to insignificant details huh? Major case of insecurity and sour grapes on the part of all of them. I guess Carol and VDP would have been happy if the filmmakers had consulted them. Lord knows we can always be sure their recollections are spot on. These people were a blip in the life of Brian and the movie is HIS story. Get over it.

Oh, but it's ok for her to take credit for playing on beach boys songs that she never played on. Class act.

Exactly.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: June 15, 2015, 05:36:39 PM »

It seems quite a bit suggests CK turned into a nutter.

Can't wait to see this film!  Grin
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1619 on: June 15, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »

Exactly.

Probably  Smiley
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: June 15, 2015, 05:59:11 PM »

Reading CK's Facebook page.  She's continuing with her diatribe.  I can only think of one thing to say...

"Hang on to your Ego".

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: June 15, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »

This woman was portrayed in a couple of scenes and was portrayed in a cool way. Is she seriously insane? Were I her , I would call Bill Pohlad and thank him for being included in a couple of scenes. Anyone that has heard TSS or the PSS knows Brian gave direction to everyone and about all kinds of things on all kinds of sessions. So what in the name of God is her problem. Seriously, these people apparently want to stir the crap because the movie is successful and in BRIANS WORDS got it right.

I'm going to see it again tomorrow. Maybe when it ends I'll be sure and tell everyone exiting the theater what an ungrateful wack job the woman in the sunglasses is these days.

Anyone remember the name of those great tunes Carol and VDP created? I know some goof named Wilson had a tiny part in them but he would have been nowhere without those two.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: June 15, 2015, 06:56:45 PM »

This woman was portrayed in a couple of scenes and was portrayed in a cool way. Is she seriously insane? Were I her , I would call Bill Pohlad and thank him for being included in a couple of scenes. Anyone that has heard TSS or the PSS knows Brian gave direction to everyone and about all kinds of things on all kinds of sessions. So what in the name of God is her problem. Seriously, these people apparently want to stir the crap because the movie is successful and in BRIANS WORDS got it right.

I'm going to see it again tomorrow. Maybe when it ends I'll be sure and tell everyone exiting the theater what an ungrateful wack job the woman in the sunglasses is these days.

Anyone remember the name of those great tunes Carol and VDP created? I know some goof named Wilson had a tiny part in them but he would have been nowhere without those two.

All great points.  

Now we need a biopic about VDP, CK, ML all rolled in one.  

Call it: LUCK & MISERY

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: June 15, 2015, 06:59:38 PM »

Or interview with a vampire (The Mike Love Story)

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: June 15, 2015, 07:11:17 PM »

Now we need a biopic about VDP, CK, ML all rolled in one.  

Call it: LUCK & MISERY

I started a Mike Love biopic a few months ago but have thus far been unable to continue work on it. I'd like to, though:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,20153.0.html
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:17:47 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx