gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681487 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 01:27:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 515665 times)
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: May 30, 2015, 11:13:15 AM »

I have a folder for Beach Boys bookmarks.  It has sub-folders and sub-sub-folders.  The only sub-sub-sub-folder is for Love & Mercy, and it's getting to be very fat.

Edit: My 13th post is this thread's 1300th post.  How funny.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:15:31 AM by Komera » Logged

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1301 on: May 30, 2015, 11:35:59 AM »

Imagine the intricate layers of additional sub-basements to those folders once the film comes out! I'm sure it'll do well then we can drool about the deleted scenes and demand copious extras.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 30, 2015, 12:00:58 PM »

The blu ray had better be JAM packed with extras. Making of the soundtrack, making of the sets, costume design, filming. I know a few posters here got their panties in a twist over that trivial Surfin Safari truck - perhaps a 'Making Of' feature could shed some light on why a more vintage truck wasn't used.

I wonder if Pohlad will consider releasing a directors cut of Love and Mercy. Go all Terrence Malick style and release a 3-4 hour cut of this. THAT would be incredible.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1303 on: May 30, 2015, 12:46:15 PM »

The blu ray had better be JAM packed with extras. Making of the soundtrack, making of the sets, costume design, filming. I know a few posters here got their panties in a twist over that trivial Surfin Safari truck - perhaps a 'Making Of' feature could shed some light on why a more vintage truck wasn't used.

I think you're the one with the twisted panties.  I merely pointed out a glaring error in the production design.  I still think that if they couldn't bother to do it right to match the album cover they probably shouldn't have done the scene.  I'm still looking forward to the movie, as it seems like everything that actually matters was done right.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:48:05 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 30, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »

argh, not being shown in Norway!  Undecided
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: May 30, 2015, 01:17:08 PM »

I think you're the one with the twisted panties.  I merely pointed out a glaring error in the production design.  I still think that if they couldn't bother to do it right to match the album cover they probably shouldn't have done the scene.  I'm still looking forward to the movie, as it seems like everything that actually matters was done right.

My one post that refers to the probably 3+ pages of ridiculous speculation about that truck shouldn't constitute as me having some panties in a twist LOL I'm just saying we may finally get an answer! I'm sure there are a million trivial inaccuracies peppered throughout the film ("that wasn't the type of wood the sandbox was lined with!!!") but you're right, it does seem like everything that matters was done right.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 30, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/washington-d-c/e-street-cinema/film-info/love-and-mercy

I was curious as to where L&M's showing in the DC area...it turns out it'll be at the E St Cinema downtown and also at the Avalon in Chevy Chase...but the above link also mentions that after the 4:30 pm showing of the film at the Landmark at Pico & Westwood in LA on June 7, Brian (with Melinda, Bill Pohlad, and the film's producer) will do a q&a.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1307 on: May 30, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »

Looking forward to seeing this! I have to wait until my next paycheck so I'll be  a week late seeing it. just from the trailer, it looks perfectly casted.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 30, 2015, 02:01:05 PM »

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/washington-d-c/e-street-cinema/film-info/love-and-mercy

I was curious as to where L&M's showing in the DC area...it turns out it'll be at the E St Cinema downtown and also at the Avalon in Chevy Chase...but the above link also mentions that after the 4:30 pm showing of the film at the Landmark at Pico & Westwood in LA on June 7, Brian (with Melinda, Bill Pohlad, and the film's producer) will do a q&a.

Thanks for posting this! I may have to try and get to this one.

PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 31, 2015, 12:16:32 AM »

He's Not There.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/movies/in-love-mercy-brian-wilson-is-portrayed-by-john-cusack-and-paul-dano.html?ref=movies
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 31, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »

This review is from the St. Louis Post Dispatch film critic:

http://fox2now.com/2015/05/31/a-critics-view-on-love-and-mercy/

His written review is here:

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/movies/joe-williams/surf-s-up-for-brian-wilson-with-new-biopic/article_c2805a02-f856-53a7-9a1e-ed2d9f6653bd.html

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 31, 2015, 08:23:32 PM »

Brian's Facebook page said that on Wednesday we'll know the exact locations and showtimes for the movie.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 01, 2015, 07:03:50 AM »

Paul Dano visited Good Morning America this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlOPc93UQdA

Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1313 on: June 01, 2015, 09:23:30 AM »

I don't know how accurate this site's information is, but so far they list the following appearances on American talk shows:

6/4  John Cusack, The Tonight Show
      Elizabeth Banks, The Late Late Show

6/5  Brian & Melinda, The View (the 1st time I'll watch this program)
      Elizabeth Banks, The Talk (co-host Carnie Wilson)

http://www.interbridge.com/lineups.html

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 01, 2015, 10:11:33 AM »

Interested to see Brian and Melinda on the View, though I wouldn't normally watch that show. I'm guessing they will gush over him.

Carnie has co-hosted The Talk many times, so she's experienced at it, but it will be interesting to see what she says to Elizabeth/get her thoughts on the movie.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »

Found this review today. Worth reading it for the awesome illo of Brian alone:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/06/08/crackups
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 01, 2015, 11:55:41 AM »

Vanity Fair quick story and an 'exclusive' scene.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/love-and-mercy-elizabeth-banks-clip

Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 01, 2015, 11:08:54 PM »

In a just published Consequence of Sound interview with Bill Pohlad, he was asked if he was going to release a soundtrack of the score from Love & Mercy, and he said "We are. We're working on it right now.... and it should be out soon after the film." This is the most definitive response I have heard so far about a soundtrack. I wonder if "soon after the film" means soon after it's released in theaters, or soon after the dvd/blu-ray release? Either way, this is great news!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1318 on: June 01, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »

Fantastic news after all the mumbling and grumbling! I wonder if any of the collages are longer than what ended up in the film, if so -- please include it all! Really interesting stuff and a great way of tacking the problem of "how the hell do you make a soundtrack for a movie about Brian Wilson and compete with his melodies and harmonies?" Answer: don't. Use 'em, shuffle em, bend 'em, twist 'em, reconfigure them in exciting ways.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:15:03 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:07 PM »

Making Wouldn't It Be Nice:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/love-and-mercy-brian-wilson-wouldnt-it-be-120447550237.html
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:43 PM »

ArcLight Stories featureatte:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVRaJzwr7fE

Interview with Pohlad with some clips from the movie.  "One Kind of Love" featured throughout.
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 01, 2015, 11:26:13 PM »

Pohlad also references the Bedroom Tapes in the CoS interview, stating that he "got to listen to a lot of things," and commenting that it's "not a secret that there is a lot of great Brian Wilson music out there that is not generally available yet. Hopefully someday more of that will come out."

How about a two-fer, the soundtrack on one CD, the best of the Bedroom Tapes on the other?

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 01, 2015, 11:30:20 PM »

ArcLight Stories featureatte:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVRaJzwr7fE

Interview with Pohlad with some clips from the movie.  "One Kind of Love" featured throughout.
And when you here it in the background it certainly to me does not seem out of place as classic Brian composition!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 01, 2015, 11:34:17 PM »

WOW

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1324 on: June 02, 2015, 12:19:14 AM »

I appreciate the fact that they used part of the original backing track instead of trying to recreate it entirely like it appears they did with "You Still Believe In Me".  That exact mando guitar/accordion sound is just impossible to duplicate.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx