gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:44:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508348 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #900 on: February 25, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »

The movie looks great, but I think this brief teaser gives the wrong impression: that this is a good-looking but standard VH1 "Behind the Music" biopic. Maybe that's best from a marketing standpoint, but I don't think it does the movie justice, based on what people like Lowbacca have said about it. Perhaps the full-length trailer will give a better impression and make the film sound more interesting to prospective viewers, not just fans.

... which is precisely why I'll refrain from comment until I see the whole movie. Like all of us here, I've seen crappy trailers of what turned out to be great movies, and vice versa.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #901 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:07 PM »

I wonder if the other 'Beach Boys' have seen it, and more so, what do they think about the portrayal???

RickB

Why would they have seen it, unless they went to one of the screenings ?

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #902 on: February 25, 2015, 11:42:18 PM »

Like all of us here, I've seen crappy trailers of what turned out to be great movies

Hm... I think that never happened to me - vice versa certainly, I agree there! Grin

Haven't seen the L&M clip yet, though.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 26, 2015, 07:13:22 AM »

So hyped. Really not sure about the Cusack scenes though. I know he's a good actor but he doesn't look like Brian at all :\
Cusack does a good job of 'impersonating' BW spiritually, which is the most important thing.

As for compliance purely regarding his physical appearance - it's NOT that far off:

This board is amazing. You post this great split image and people are still complaining about John Cusack looking nothing like Brian. He is certainly close enough and in the brief clips (especially the snip where Landy nudges his cheek) Cusack is standing there seeming just like Brian.  I also think a lot of the complaints about Cusack thus far are more about the period in Brian's life on screen vs. the creating Pet Sounds period with Dano. If these two actors were reversed in age and it was Cusack that got the young Brian making Pet Sounds part I'll bet half of the angst people are having about him would vanish.

If I end up thinking the movie is not all that great it will be due to the narrative ...

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 26, 2015, 09:12:56 AM »

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:16:51 PM by Untitled » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 26, 2015, 06:03:19 PM »

..and the award for the first idiotic blurb about the movie from someone who clearly doesn't know anything about anything goes to..http://www.vulture.com/2015/02/sand-and-dancing-in-beach-boys-biopic-teaser.html
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 26, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »

Entertainment Weekly: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/02/25/john-cusack-and-paul-dano-play-brian-wilson-love-mercy-teaser

Plus, trending on Facebook as we speak!
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 26, 2015, 08:37:02 PM »

I always thought that Brian looked very different in the 80's-early 90's, like he didn't look like an older version of the same guy like the other BB did. He almost looked to me like he had plastic surgery or something, the way Landy had him dressed and such, he just looked very different. So I think that it will work in the movie because Brian will so so different and so broken from where he once was.

Very good trailer, it's clear a lot of love and care went into this.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 26, 2015, 08:54:34 PM »

The moment where Melinda tells Brian "You need to find yourself" brought a tear to my eyes. From this brief trailer it doesn't come off cheesy. I am so excited!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 26, 2015, 09:26:28 PM »

I always thought that Brian looked very different in the 80's-early 90's, like he didn't look like an older version of the same guy like the other BB did. He almost looked to me like he had plastic surgery or something, the way Landy had him dressed and such, he just looked very different. So I think that it will work in the movie because Brian will so so different and so broken from where he once was.

Very good trailer, it's clear a lot of love and care went into this.

Brian DID have a facelift in the 80s.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #910 on: February 26, 2015, 11:42:01 PM »

I don't think Dano looks a lot like Brian per se, but I don't feel that's a let down at all. The make up artists, hairdressers and costume designers have obviously done a good job in matching the images we know from contemporary photographs. I'm looking forward to this movie! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: February 27, 2015, 12:49:32 AM »

Someone said to me that when they saw the pic of Dano by the pool, they thought it was Brian. Complete nonsense of course, but he does have the look of vague benign bewilderment down pat.

And the hair.

Cusack, on the evidence of this trailer and stills, doesn't look to have that depth of characterisation... but to judge from a few seconds is hardly fair. We'll see what the whole picture brings.

Oh, and...

"Brian-Past (1960s) and Brian-Present (1980s/early 1990s)."

Don't know where you're hanging your hat, but here on planet Earth, we're up to 2015.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:51:07 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 27, 2015, 10:02:43 AM »

I know John Cusack.  He is one of the greatest and most underrated actors of our time.  He is also a genuine Brian Wilson fanatic.  His only greater obsession in music is with the Clash.  His performance will be incredible...I guarantee it.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 27, 2015, 10:21:15 AM »

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:16:35 PM by Untitled » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: February 27, 2015, 05:33:58 PM »

I would like to know more on the "Old Brian" phase in the biopic, what is it gonna be about really? just the love part with Melinda? does Eugene Landy has a big role in it, perhaps the vilain?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:35:32 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: February 27, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »

It really does look promising - and I'm someone who generally hates biopics and prefers documentaries. It certainly looks like it has been made with an admirable attention to little details.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 27, 2015, 09:32:46 PM »

I'd say a movie of this magnitude deserves to be seen on the big screen. you're cheating yourself out of a superior experience if you choose to watch it on your computer. there really is a huge difference.
There is indeed, so I much prefer to see the movie alone in silence, with all the home conveniences than in a place with annoying noises, people not shutting their mouth up talking non-stop, munching food, exclaiming if they see sth. great or horrible, the phone ringing & stuff. No, thanks. Roll Eyes As for hearing music in a theater setting, I can always borrow surround sound speakers from my uncle. Or not, I'm fine with Beats by Dr Dre. 3D

I don't think Dano looks a lot like Brian
I agree in a sense that young Brian was more handsome, more strength & power than in Dano who kind of has a look of a weakling.

I know John Cusack.  He is one of the greatest and most underrated actors of our time.  He is also a genuine Brian Wilson fanatic. [...]
Really? On account of that, I think I might reconsider my opinion of him. Thanks for telling, job.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #917 on: February 28, 2015, 12:12:36 AM »

I would like to know more on the "Old Brian" phase in the biopic, what is it gonna be about really? just the love part with Melinda? does Eugene Landy has a big role in it, perhaps the vilain?

Landy as villain... hey, now there's an angle that needs exploring. Never occurred to me before. Might just work.  Smiley

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 28, 2015, 04:18:53 AM »

It is a, hm, complicated relationship, but in the end, as we see how it ended and all that it caused.. but then, it's a movie in which Brian and Melinda had their word on, so i just have no idea what the approach would be on it?? but he is in there, his role might be small tho, i would love to hear more from Lowbacca regarding this.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 28, 2015, 04:55:44 AM »

I am really looking forward to the 60s scenes, not super excited about the 80s stuff but looking forward to the film none the less. Seeing those snippets in the teaser of photos we know so well come to life has me giddy.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 04, 2015, 10:42:27 AM »

My girlfriend surprised me with tickets to the March 29th showing of this at the Atlanta Film Festival. I'm excited, to say the least.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 04, 2015, 06:21:32 PM »

My girlfriend surprised me with tickets to the March 29th showing of this at the Atlanta Film Festival. I'm excited, to say the least.
Wow, this film is certainly getting around. I hope next stop is Sundance Film Festival.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 10, 2015, 12:10:11 AM »

Sorry - re-post was not meant for this thread, but Howie's Love and Mercy screening thread instead.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:17:38 AM by PS » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 14, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »

New still released just before it's showing at SXSW tomorrow

Hey look who it is

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 14, 2015, 09:10:25 AM »

New still released just before it's showing at SXSW tomorrow

Hey look who it is

That guy's a dead ringer for Mark Linett. When they make a biopic about his life I hope they choose that guy to play Mark.  But who'll play the older Mark?

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx