gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:37:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508276 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: February 10, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »

Bian was scared:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7AcijzTNnsA

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 10, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »

It's awesome finally seeing real footage.  Surely the trailer can't be too far away?  A month?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 10, 2015, 12:00:52 PM »

My 2 cents on the film and its European premiere at the Berlinale..

As far as I see it, BW fans can put their minds at ease - Love & Mercy is a very good film. And I say 'BW fans' because this is a film about Brian. Brian & Melinda.
The BBs are featured in a sizable capacity but the focus is very rarely (if ever..) on the band itself. Love & Mercy is as far removed from being a BBs band biopic as it can be. But this much should have been clear from the get-go.
That being said, I think it fairly and accurately portrays the other BBs - especially Mike, who naturally plays a key role in certain moments of Brian Dano's young life. Mike is never vilified but depicted as a commercially-thinking rational individual - an aspect of Brian's ultimate breakdown, sure, but only one of many.
Typing 'Brian Dano' wasn't an accident. Paul Dano is brilliant as young BW, by the 2nd or 3rd scene into the movie he's disappeared into the role. No wonder the real deal was scared (do you remember that "Mr Wilson..." movie theatre anecdote?). Cusack doesn't make it as easy on the audience as Dano does, but in a way he has the even tougher job. And I completely understand people who, before seeing the film, can't picture Cusack 'working' as BW. But let me tell you: he does well. And it's clear throughout that Cusack's heart was in this project. It's an apposite character study of a man who, by the time the 80s got around, was a very complex adult indivual. I was impressed and relieved by Cusack's performance.

What follows are a couple of random thoughts, still spoiler-free. I don't want to spoil anything. If you have specific questions though, ask away. Smiley I'll try and clearly mark the spoilers in future posts.

• Elizabeth Banks and Paul Giamatti are fine
  • Dennis doesn't look handsome enough - by far (no direspect to the actor, who does a good job Grin )
  • VDP was cast well but didn't have many scenes
  • Murry's character was remarkably toned down, but worked in the specific context of the film
  • the film's soundscape is a trip on its own - both vintage and new recordings melting in a potpourri presence of bizarrely beautiful and sometimes scary ambience
  • the unchronological planes-of-reality-jumping narrative structure may prove a bit demanding for the uninitiated, but aptly captures Brian's spirit
  • it is a tremendously ambitious film and not your "run-of-the-mill biopic", as Melinda put it - and it meets most of its ambitions
  • personal highlights include all the Wrecking Crew scenes (FIRE!!), the later scenes with Banks and Cusack, the conceptual soundtrack, the imaginative editing and the mise-en-scène of classic Brianism material (from both Dano and Cusack)
  • Brian & Melinda were received enthusiastically by the premiere audience, receiving a number of standing ovations before and after the screening

Oh, and I finally got my LOVE YOU signed. Grin  Thanks again Melinda, if you should happen to read this.

Bian was scared:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7AcijzTNnsA
I can imagine. For certain scenes it felt strange to know he's right there in the audience seeing that stuff put onto celluloid at the same time the regular guests (only the minority being 'in the know') see it. Not only very intimate things - but you know - damn scary stuff. It must have been weird for decades to be Brian Wilson, but this is certainly another dimension. Quite understandable he was scared witnessing the making of the movie.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:20:16 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 10, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »

German TV coverage, Love & Mercy starts at 4:32.

http://www.3sat.de/mediathek/?mode=play&obj=49273

Few but interesting footage.

Thanks for posting! That 'You Still Believe In Me' scene looks great!

That was very cool. As I understand it Dano's voice was melded with real vintage BB tracks in that YSBIM scene?  The Cusack scene looks good as well. I think it's going to please most of us.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #829 on: February 10, 2015, 01:09:07 PM »

As far as I see it, BW fans can put their minds at ease - Love & Mercy is a very good film. And I say 'BW fans' because this is a film about Brian. Brian & Melinda.
The BBs are featured in a sizable capacity but the focus is very rarely (if ever..) on the band itself. Love & Mercy is as far removed from being a BBs band biopic as it can be. But this much should have been clear from the get-go.
That being said, I think it fairly and accurately portrays the other BBs - especially Mike, who naturally plays a key role in certain moments of Brian Dano's young life. Mike is never vilified but depicted as a commercially-thinking rational individual - an aspect of Brian's ultimate breakdown, sure, but only one of many.
Typing 'Brian Dano' wasn't an accident. Paul Dano is brilliant as young BW, by the 2nd or 3rd scene into the movie he's disappeared into the role. No wonder the real deal was scared (do you remember that "Mr Wilson..." movie theatre anecdote?). Cusack doesn't make it as easy on the audience as Dano does, but in a way he has the even tougher job. And I completely understand people who, before seeing the film, can't picture Cusack 'working' as BW. But let me tell you: he does well. And it's clear throughout that Cusack's heart was in this project. It's an apposite character study of a man who, by the time the 80s got around, was a very complex adult indivual. I was impressed and relieved by Cusack's performance.

What follows are a couple of random thoughts, still spoiler-free. I don't want to spoil anything. If you have specific questions though, ask away. Smiley I'll try and clearly mark the spoilers in future posts.

• Dennis doesn't look handsome enough - by far (no direspect to the actor, who does a good job Grin )
  • Murry's character was remarkably toned down, but worked in the specific context of the film
  • the film's soundscape is a trip on its own - both vintage and new recordings melting in a potpourri presence of bizarrely beautiful and sometimes scary ambience
  • the unchronological planes-of-reality-jumping narrative structure may prove a bit demanding for the uninitiated, but aptly captures Brian's spirit
  • it is a tremendously ambitious film and not your "run-of-the-mill biopic", as Melinda put it - and it meets most of its ambitions
  • personal highlights include all the Wrecking Crew scenes (FIRE!!), the later scenes with Banks and Cusack, the conceptual soundtrack, the imaginative editing and the mise-en-scène of classic Brianism material (from both Dano and Cusack)
  • Brian & Melinda were received enthusiastically by the premiere audience, receiving a number of standing ovations before and after the screening

Oh, and I finally got my LOVE YOU signed. Grin  Thanks again Melinda, if you should happen to read this.

Bian was scared:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7AcijzTNnsA
I can imagine. For certain scenes it felt strange to know he's right there in the audience seeing that stuff put onto celluloid at the same time the regular guests (only the minority being 'in the know') see it. Not only very intimate things - but you know - damn scary stuff. It must have been weird for decades to be Brian Wilson, but this is certainly another dimension. Quite understandable he was scared witnessing the making of the movie.

Thanks so much for this, and to everyone who has shared links.  I'm really looking forward to the film.  I can't even imagine watching myself and my family being portrayed on screen - here's to Brian and Melinda for being able to take it all in....
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 10, 2015, 01:32:24 PM »

Looks cool! I'm impressed with the You Still Believe In Me footage. So far it doesn't look like it will be the disappointment that I thought the other 2 movies were. We'll see though. I have a good feeling about this one though.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:28 PM »

Looks cool! I'm impressed with the You Still Believe In Me footage. So far it doesn't look like it will be the disappointment that I thought the other 2 movies were. We'll see though. I have a good feeling about this one though.

Thanks for posting, Micha. Looks great. I like the Cusack snippet too.  I don't get the impression he's going for a complete BW impersonation which is fine by me. Can't wait for the trailer.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 10, 2015, 02:16:21 PM »

Are the 70's covered much in the film? Did Dano undergo extreme personal physical changes?

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 10, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

Are the 70's covered much in the film?
No. Hardly at all.

Did Dano undergo extreme personal physical changes?
Nothing extreme, but he put on a some weight for a couple of sequences.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:18:44 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 10, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »

Lowbacca thanks so much for your review, congrats on getting your "Love you" album signed.

That interview with Brian and Melinda is so touching, Melinda is obviously very moved by the whole experience, Brian, well he's tough to read as usual.

As for the clip...wow, just from the small clip alone Dano deserves an oscar nomination.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #835 on: February 10, 2015, 08:51:48 PM »

Do they get each other in the end? If it doesn't have a happy ending, I won't go. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 10, 2015, 10:45:37 PM »

Glad for B & M, they look good in that vid & pics. Dano captured him well, & I also would like to see Giamatti doing Landy character. Thanks, all, for the links & info!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 11, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »

No. Hardly at all.

Boo. Let me guess - he spent the whole decade 'in bed'?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Stanislav
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 11, 2015, 05:09:10 AM »

If you have specific questions though, ask away. Smiley

Hi Lowbacca,
Are there any scenes with LSD? I mean trips, all that some post-psychedelic feelings afterwards?
Stanislav
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 11, 2015, 05:11:00 AM »

And some other question... Was there Dano with beard?
Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: February 11, 2015, 05:13:30 AM »

Lowbaca, what are the Smile scenes shown in a movie?? H&V? Fire? SU?...
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 11, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »

Lowbacca - Thanks for the write up. I was pretty skeptical about this movie, but reviews like yours and others we've seen now actually have me looking forward to seeing it.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 11, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »

Lowbacca thanks so much for your review, congrats on getting your "Love you" album signed.
Smiley

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

Do they get each other in the end? If it doesn't have a happy ending, I won't go. Grin
Classic Hollywood. Tongue

No. Hardly at all.

Boo. Let me guess - he spent the whole decade 'in bed'?
No. They do address that myth, however.

If you have specific questions though, ask away. Smiley

Hi Lowbacca,
Are there any scenes with LSD? I mean trips, all that some post-psychedelic feelings afterwards?
Yes, yes and yes. 3D

And some other question... Was there Dano with beard?
No, no bearded Dano.

Lowbaca, what are the Smile scenes shown in a movie?? H&V? Fire? SU?...
H&V - no, not really. Fire - ooooh yes. Grin SU - yes (I only say 'Bernstein'..^^). Then.. GV, of course. And all kinds of other stuff - melodies, lyrics - interwoven in the cinematic texture of visuals and sound. "Mahala lu lei, Mahalo lu la, Keni waka pula.." angel

Lowbacca - Thanks for the write up. I was pretty skeptical about this movie, but reviews like yours and others we've seen now actually have me looking forward to seeing it.
BBs/BW fans should flip.. it's just sooo rich, and deliciously crafted around the music. What you have to accept (or not, of course) is the focal point they chose. Everyone here knows it's such a complex story with a variety of players and personal 'realities'.. but if you tell a story in the way films normally do you naturally have to stick to certain pre-defined leitmotifs. General audiences might be thankful for the traditional love story element, in light of all the narrative and cinematographic weirdness.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #843 on: February 11, 2015, 11:13:35 AM »

Thanks so much Lowbacca...People do forget that it's a film, so it needs to tell a story.  Obsessing over every detail of Brian's life has it's place, and that appears to be here.  But that's not good story-telling, and Brian's life has many great stories.  L&M needed to be a compelling story and by what you're telling us, they seem to have achieved this - not an easy job.  But these filmmakers have already proven that they have what it takes to make excellent films, so my expectations were and are pretty high.  I'm really looking forward to seeing it myself.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:15:00 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 11, 2015, 02:26:22 PM »

Nice--post a pic!
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 19, 2015, 06:47:37 PM »

Did anybody save this video?  The site says it's no longer available  Sad
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 19, 2015, 07:02:20 PM »

Did anybody save this video?  The site says it's no longer available  Sad

Please tell me someone did, been waiting SOOOOO long!

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #847 on: February 20, 2015, 12:14:02 AM »

Actually I recorded the original broadcast on my hard disk recorder. So if you're near Hannover (Lower Saxony), come over, and I'll play it for you on my good old tube TV! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 20, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »

Source: http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2015/02/20/brian-wilson-biopic-love-and-mercy-to-get-its-theatrical-release-in-june/

"The new Brian Wilson biopic, Love and Mercy, will be released theatrically on June 5.  The film focuses on the troubled Beach Boys mastermind during different periods of his life, with John Cusack starring as an older Brian and Paul Dano portraying Wilson as a young man.

"Prior to its wide release, the movie will get its U.S. premiere on March 15 at the South by Southwest Film Festival in Austin, Texas.  An encore screening is scheduled for March 17." 

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 24, 2015, 06:11:54 AM »

Love and Mercy will also be screening at the Atlanta Film Festival in March:
http://atlantafilmfestival.com/

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx