gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:09:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508356 times)
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 06, 2014, 07:42:27 AM »

Quoting myself here; I have to ensure that I am very clear in what I post ; I certainly do not want to denigrate Mark's role and participation in this film. Mark was hired to effectively recreate the look of the studio with the set designers , as well as provide the original BB tracks that are in the film.....and he plays Chuck Britz......the BW/BB fan base is well covered with their expertise for this film.

Here are some of the (awesome) visual results of Mark Linett's role as technical adviser on the film, recreating and depicting Western Studio 3 circa 1966. Also, one showing the famous firehat from another studio scene.

On-set photos from Love And Mercy, featuring Mark Linett, Paul Dano, and the recreated/"rebuilt" Western 3 control room:

Absolutely amazing visuals, I'm totally blown away by this. The attention to detail in the recreated Western 3 is stunning, it looks like it did in the original studio photos from '66. I cannot wait to see this on the big screen! Beyond excited.

The most stunning set detail in those images is Paul Dano being Brian. That is just NUTS! Compare that to the TV movies with the costume shop beards.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #726 on: October 06, 2014, 11:59:01 PM »

Best wishes for your hearing, Andrew. What happened?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 07, 2014, 12:23:04 AM »

Couldn't have been the ultimate fan martyrdom - whacking himself round the head with a length of 2x4?

“We live in divisive times.”
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 07, 2014, 12:58:24 AM »

Couldn't have been the ultimate fan martyrdom - whacking himself round the head with a length of 2x4?

I'm not the type to get offended, but....

Could you imagine spending the rest of your life only being able to see/read about The Beach Boys and affiliates' new/historical recordings? Rather than being able to hear them?

It's no joke, especially for somebody who obviously loves the Boys and their music as much as this grumpy AGD does....

God speed, Mr. Doe. Get entirely better and then some!!

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 07, 2014, 01:21:56 AM »

Ah, I can see how it might well seem insensitive and apologise to any offended.

Please be assured that it is meant with affectionate levity. Andrew can have his revenge by flagellating me with pine poles when next we meet… hopefully at PS50, RFH, 2016.

“We live in divisive times.”
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 14, 2014, 12:10:58 AM »

I just was reading the IMDB page again for the 20th+ time.  I noticed that Robert Yeoman is the Director of Photography for LOVE & MERCY.  He is de-facto DP for Wes Anderson.  That gives me great hope for the visual look of the film.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 22, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »

Any inside info on when we might see a trailer or a release date for this? 

lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 22, 2014, 01:56:26 PM »

Elvis..!?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 22, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »

I just was reading the IMDB page again for the 20th+ time.  I noticed that Robert Yeoman is the Director of Photography for LOVE & MERCY.  He is de-facto DP for Wes Anderson.  That gives me great hope for the visual look of the film.

Everything just seems stalled at the moment...

Mysterious

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 22, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »

I suspect a campaign is being planned for next year involving the movie, album and tour. There is also the book. I guess the number cruncher s are looking at how to maximize the lot. All at the same time or spread over a period. I would probably put the book last with a chapter on the events covering the other releases of 2015.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: October 22, 2014, 09:21:38 PM »

PF, that would definitely make the most sense.  It's kind of a bummer to think that the film probably won't be released in North America until 2015 (and probably into the spring). 

I had assumed that after the premiere it would get a limited release in 2014 (for Academy Awards consideration) and then go "wide" in early 2015. 

Still kind of hoping that is what happens but it's looking like it will be sometime into next year at this point.  Otherwise I would imagine a trailer and maybe a poster would have surfaced by now.

Either way, I'm as stoked as ever about it.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:47 PM »

If it had just been the movie, that may have been the case. Also this year we have had 'Jersey Boys' and 'Get On up' so perhaps a gap in the music bio genre may not be a bad thing.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 23, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »

I saw Jersey Boys but Get on Up disappeared from theaters very quickly.  Was it bad or did ticket sales stall?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #738 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »

I was really looking forward to "Get On Up" but it left me cold. I could sense that some posters here will reach for the smelling salts over the fact that it had Pendletons TAMI backstage and not stripey shirts.

Had a lot more fun afterwards watching episodes of Brown's amazing "Future Shock" -- lookie here!

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 23, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »

I was really looking forward to "Get On Up" but it left me cold. I could sense that some posters here will reach for the smelling salts over the fact that it had Pendletons TAMI backstage and not stripey shirts.

Those details (or lack thereof) won't be objectionable, for me.  Exact specifics like a shirt or a car don't interest me.  Capturing an authenticity in the performances and the storytelling is more important to me.

I love your YouTube videos, by the way.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: October 23, 2014, 11:16:34 AM »

Oh yeah, me neither. I just thought Smiley Smile needed a trigger warning for the fact brigade! I wanted MORE out of it, such an amazing story and larger than life character seemed to deserve a bit more somehow.

Then again, if it leads to more people saying the words "Maceo Parker" and "Fred Wesley" then it's probably ok in the long run.

Thanks for the thumbs up! Silly stuff but I had a lot of fun playing around with the material.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 05, 2014, 12:04:48 PM »

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/love_and_mercy/

Jun 5, 2015 Limited

So there we go...  June 2015. 

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #742 on: November 05, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »

Jun 5, 2015 Limited

Thanks for the info!
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 05, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »

Jun 5, 2015 Limited

That's a long wait haha

When can we expect a trailer? February?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 05, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »

Jun 5, 2015 Limited

Just a wild guess - I'm thinking they want to roll it out as soon as possible while still within the context of a viable time for it to possibly get award noms. Any earlier in the year might diminish award nom chances, but they probably still want to have it come out soon-ish to capitalize on the buzz it was recently getting. June is probably a happy medium, plus Brian's music (despite the No Pier Pressure pun) is often associated with summer which may be better for marketing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 05, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »

Jun 5, 2015 Limited

Just a wild guess - I'm thinking they want to roll it out as soon as possible while still within the context of a viable time for it to possibly get award noms. Any earlier in the year might diminish award nom chances, but they probably still want to have it come out soon-ish to capitalize on the buzz it was recently getting. June is probably a happy medium, plus Brian's music (despite the No Pier Pressure pun) is often associated with summer which may be better for marketing.

And you really believe that 8 months is in the buzz frame?  Seems it'll be long gone by then, with folks trying to build the buzz for pics soon to be at next years festival.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 05, 2014, 03:33:45 PM »

Jun 5, 2015 Limited

So there we go...  June 2015.  

And you really believe that 8 months is in the buzz frame?  Seems it'll be long gone by then, with folks trying to build the buzz for pics soon to be at next years festival.

While I'm sure they'd want to capitalize on current buzz, I would think the relative priority of a biopic would be to get potential award noms, "Ray" and "Walk The Line"-style, and that's much less likely for films released before the middle/end of a given year.  June is probably a compromise, I would guess. For whatever buzz is lost by then (and surely there will be some lost), I think they'll try to make it up with buzz concurrent with the album's release. Award noms are a big, big deal and the marketing/money people behind movies are never oblivious to that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:55:19 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 05, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »

Not trusting that date till we get it from an official source..

We've be fooled by fake dates before  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #748 on: November 05, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »

I don't know a great deal about the movie industry. But many times, I've rented or watched a "new" film that just made it to DVD/Blu-Ray and/or rental that, when I look it up, actually was filmed like two or three years previously and may have first shown at a festival a good two years prior.

So it's not totally uncommon for these things to run such a long course. What will be interesting is how "limited" the run is. In other words, will they actually try to run this in theaters and wait several more months for a home video release? Or will they go the rout some films do where they are simultaneously put out on a "limited" theatrical release while simultaneously up for rentals (usually on the more expensive side) online? If it's the former, then we could be looking at Fall 2015 before most of us see this thing at home.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 01, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »

FWIW, IMDB lists the film as having a PG-13 rating from the MPAA.  I don't recall seeing that before.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx