gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:17:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508226 times)
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 18, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »

That reviewer has no credibility with me with lines like:
As an aside, I resented the movie's use of “Wouldn't It Be Nice”--over the final fade-out, no less: Wilson's entitlement to it or not, that song now and forever belongs to the ending of Shampoo.

Yeah, I thought the same. It's just stupid.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 18, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »

That reviewer has no credibility with me with lines like:
As an aside, I resented the movie's use of “Wouldn't It Be Nice”--over the final fade-out, no less: Wilson's entitlement to it or not, that song now and forever belongs to the ending of Shampoo.

Yeah, I thought the same. It's just stupid.
I remember playing WIBN on a jukebox once and this guy and his girlfriend both said "It's the song from 50 first dates." and I thought to myself "wow they aren't very smart.." lol...
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 18, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »

I'll wager you... oh, the entire US and UK National Debts combined that Brian is listed as a producer of the movie by at least one highly reputable online database.

That's $20,069,241,928 you owe me.  Grin

...If it's IMDB you're talking about, AGD, then I think you'd better pay up -- a lot of the edits to their film listings are done by fans, and are notoriously unreliable.  We've known that since Doctor Who came back, and for many years someone had an entry under it listing Norman Lovett as Davros...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 19, 2014, 07:20:43 AM »

By the time this comes out only 50% of "critics" reviewing it may like it. Their opinions should mean nothing to you folks as they mean nothing to me. The thing I do like about rotten tomatoes is that once a film is out, ratings based from the actual audience are displayed. That means real people that have an interest in the subject matter and not some prima donna blowhard who is there because some rag sent them there.

*my grammer was so bad after re-reading this I had to fix it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:10:26 AM by Paul J B » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 19, 2014, 07:27:31 AM »

It seems the common complaint among the negative reviews is that they can't handle the shock of how little Dano and Cusack resemble each other.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: September 19, 2014, 08:33:43 AM »

Meh. There's a lot of folk in the movie who don't look anything like the person being portrayed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: September 19, 2014, 08:40:08 AM »

Can you imagine the horrible actors we'd have to endure if biopics mainly were concerned with casting lookalikes?

Still, I bet Tim Beasley was heartbroken not to have gotten a callback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggQfP5Tz_74
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 19, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »

I am really glad this movie has been made and I don't give a truck about the truck.

CAPTION:   Right over there!  THATS where we'll find shrimp!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 20, 2014, 04:52:21 AM »

Billboard story. Soundtrack on the way.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details. He is still talking with distributors about picking up the film.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 20, 2014, 10:55:13 AM »

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details. He is still talking with distributors about picking up the film.

Thanks for posting!  And this is tantalizing...

"...it was a matter of also building trust with Brian and Melinda so they would open up more of the unreleased stuff or the tracking sessions that they have."

It's good to hear that a soundtrack is definitely in the works.  The film might sell some Brian Wilson music, maybe we'll get some previously unreleased tracks, and there's no reason to hold up his new album to coincide with the film's release.   

It seems like the people involved in making this movie really tried to capture Brian Wilson, and really "got" the music.  It feels like the right people came together to make this film, just as Darian Sahanaja and Brian's band were the right midwives for BWPS.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: September 20, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »

It's good to hear that a soundtrack is definitely in the works.  The film might sell some Brian Wilson music, maybe we'll get some previously unreleased tracks, and there's no reason to hold up his new album to coincide with the film's release.   

I think the soundtrack definitely will have some unreleased stuff on it. Probably a demo or something along those lines (maybe that "Airplane" demo?).
I mean, they have the public's attention who saw the movie and who don't own the muisc, but how do you get the devoted fans to buy it? Put something on there they don't already own.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 20, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »

"...it was a matter of also building trust with Brian and Melinda so they would open up more of the unreleased stuff or the tracking sessions that they have."

It seems like the people involved in making this movie really tried to capture Brian Wilson, and really "got" the music.  It feels like the right people came together to make this film, just as Darian Sahanaja and Brian's band were the right midwives for BWPS.

I remain cautiously optimistic… what's regarded as "unreleased" in some quarters is sometimes widely known by a hardcore fan base and might have had omitted official airings that the general public might not have been widely aware of. The actors, for example, appear not to have been away of PSS or TSS before they were cast on the movie.

That said, I'd love for us to get Til I Die with original lyrics or the cassette demo of SOS!!!!!

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 20, 2014, 01:38:04 PM »

I remain cautiously optimistic… what's regarded as "unreleased" in some quarters is sometimes widely known by a hardcore fan base and might have had omitted official airings that the general public might not have been widely aware of. The actors, for example, appear not to have been away of PSS or TSS before they were cast on the movie.

That said, I'd love for us to get Til I Die with original lyrics or the cassette demo of SOS!!!!!

Funny. 
Why is there thought the soundtrack will have any unreleased BBs tracks? 
I'm more inclinedto think  it will be some background themes from the movie( if there are any), along with the songs as performed by Paul Dano/John Cusack. ( do they both sing?)

Anyway, you wouldn't want those "original" Til I Die lyrics messing with anyone's brain/taking away from the soundtrack cuts now would ya? 
I've found my way, hey hey hey !

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 20, 2014, 01:42:53 PM »

I believe the soundtrack is likely to have some unreleased BW (not BB) tracks for the reason Bubbly Waves stated:  to make us hardcores buy it.

Though I suppose they might just toss us a new stereo mix instead.

If there was ever a time for the so-called "Bedroom Tapes" to surface, I'd say it was 2015.

And that SOS writing session would make a great scene in the 6-hour mini-series about Brian Wilson's life that will be made after the wild success of "Love and Mercy". Smiley  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:45:56 PM by Les P » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 20, 2014, 01:46:06 PM »

I believe the soundtrack is likely to have some unreleased BW (not BB) tracks for the reason Bubbly Waves stated:  to make us hardcores buy it.

If there was ever a time for the so-called "Bedroom Tapes" to surface, I'd say it was 2015.

And that SOS writing session would make a great scene in the 6-hour mini-series about Brian Wilson's life that will be made after the wild success of "Love and Mercy". Smiley 

Maybe they'll just pull the original video of the SOS writing session from the Brother Vaults as a bonus disc for Walmart buyers

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 20, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »

I believe the soundtrack is likely to have some unreleased BW (not BB) tracks for the reason Bubbly Waves stated:  to make us hardcores buy it.

Though I suppose they might just toss us a new stereo mix instead.

yes I can't wait to hear the "cough" on Wendy remixed into stereo and the sessions with "Big Daddy" sessions..
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 20, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »

Not to say it won't happen but have any of the other bio's released bonus tracks? Thinking of 'Ray' and 'Walk The Line'? Seems to me the market is those many that watch the movie rather than those few that post here.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 20, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »

Billboard obviously don't realise the movie has been picked up for release.

Awesome news about the soundtrack though, can't wait!!!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #668 on: September 20, 2014, 06:06:53 PM »

Meh. There's a lot of folk in the movie who don't look anything like the person being portrayed.

Melinda and Elizabeth Banks.  Not even close.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 20, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »

I am surprised no one has mentioned Darian's credit in the film.

He played a role in the look and the accuracy in the 1960's musical scenes, going so far as to suggest that real musicians be cast whenever possible. He spent a great deal of time on the set going over details such as the period studio technology in places like Western and Gold Star as well as vintage instrumentation. He was also the musical coach for Paul Dano and the cast members who would be playing music in the film teaching them the songs from the BB oeuvre. And yes, all but one of the Wrecking Crew roles were played by musicians (with the exception of the actor playing Hal Blaine). From what Darian has said, the attention to period detail is similar to what you would see in Mad Men.

You can't get all points of view in a two hour movie, especially with complex people like the BB family. But what you can do is create a portrait of Brian and try and convey the truth as he saw it.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:04:59 AM by Andy Botwin » Logged

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
John Stivaktas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #670 on: September 20, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »

Remember that article in Domenic Priore's Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile that compared Beach Boys Fans to H.G.Wells' Time Machine characters? Is it not a reference to Michael Kemp's Pulse review on the Good Vibrations Box Set release in 1993 which rightly splits the casual fan as a morlock and the serious fan as an eloi type? The morlocks go for that surf, car and fun, fun, fun stuff while we eloi are into the Pet Sounds/SMiLE and post-1967 era more. Thank God that Love and Mercy is a gift for the eloi, looking past the one-dimensional biopics of the past that so generalised the Beach Boys as a band. I consider this film a gift to us serious fans, so I'm just happy it is what it is!

"It's more blessed to give than receive"

“For me, making music has always been a very spiritual thing, and I think anybody who produces records has to feel that, at least a little bit. Producing a record . . . the idea of taking a song, envisioning the overall sound in my head and then bringing the arrangement to life in the studio . . . well, that gives me satisfaction like nothing else.”

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 20, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »

I am shocked that no one has mentioned anything about Darian's involvement.

Its early days yet really. We only have a few viewings to go on and some TIFF related media events. I'm sure if and when we get a full release there will be more stories and interviews and, at least as far as this site goes, praise (and criticism)will be given then.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:53:18 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 20, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »

Pohlad recounted a story about the 'music director' who was assigned to work with Dano at his home in New York. Apparently it was a shock to him that Dano could sing.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 20, 2014, 08:38:50 PM »

I don't think the beef is that Dano and Cusack don't look like Brian, it's that they don't look like each other, so it is a jar for you to see them playing the same character.  It takes you away from the story and makes you think about the fact that the two Brian actors don't look much alike.

Not saying I agree with that, having not seen the film, of course.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 20, 2014, 11:12:53 PM »

Well, I for one wasn't aware of the nature or depth of that involvement. And many thanks, therefore, for highlighting it here. But why "shocked"? Were these facts already out there, or do you have insider knowledge? I assume the latter, given the fact that you don't attribute the information to anyone/anything else?

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx