gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:04:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 510413 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 10, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »

Can somebody tell me why there's a guy on TV pretending to be the pretend me? First, there's padlocks on the fridge. Now this! How could they?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 10, 2014, 04:07:23 PM »

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

Exactly.

Someone who actually knows Brian and was a part of their history comes here and shares her perspective gets run off because they don't like what she has to say.

Stay classy, guys!
Who didn't like what she had to say? Did I miss something?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 10, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »

Exactly.

Someone who actually knows Brian and was a part of their history comes here and shares her perspective gets run off because they don't like what she has to say.

Stay classy, guys!

From my vantage point, you didn't say anything that crossed the line.  Some of the posters here are far too sensitive.  Lets keep this the land of free discussion, debate and opinion.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 10, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »

Exactly.

Stay classy, guys!

+1
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 10, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »

Maybe just a genuine thanks to Brian for sticking with us all these years would be appropriate at this point - and for his amazing willingness to continue to work, bringing us profound joy.  Brian and Melinda know that I love and respect them.  That feels really good - the ultimate fulfillment for me after all these years.  It’s up to you if you’d like to join me or not.

I think the same would go for anyone one might admire that is a famous artist of some sort.  They have given themselves to us via their art.  We, the fans, should not expect a pound of flesh as well.  Just being able to refer back to the art (in this case music) and revisit it from time to time, like an old friend, is awesome enough.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:28:53 PM by jmanley1 » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: September 10, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »

Agreed, JManley. Also helps to remember that these are real life human beings we are discussing...they may be musical legends, but people all the same.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 10, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »

Exactly.

Stay classy, guys!

From my vantage point, you didn't say anything that crossed the line.  Some of the posters here are far too sensitive.  Lets keep this the land of free discussion, debate and opinion.
All I did was give an explanation that apparently Ms Keil-Leavitt did not want to read. People would not use the term if they understood the situation exactly as she does. As to how events are announced publicly, Brian almost solely depends on his management to do everything, whereas other artists including the Beach Boys have band members announce and talk about said events. This was the only point that I was trying to get across. I thought this was a topic that could be discussed. I guess I was wrong.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 10, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »

Must be some kind of a board record. Registers one day, 4 posts then out-a-here!

Nothing to take offence of IMO but different strokes I guess. I do hope she and Ray stick around though.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 10, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »

"Let's leave it to the grown ups" was a nicer way of saying "what the f*** is it any of your business?"

While you didn't say anything that was pungently offensive, it is extremely poor form to discuss the intricacies of Brian's managerial or financial practices right after those who just apprehensively unloaded a wealth of credible, record-straightening information just finished stating there need not be concerns in this public forum. The least you could do is express apologies to her.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: September 10, 2014, 05:11:21 PM »

I talked to her earlier for a few hours (not all about the board...that'd be daft lol), and yes, that is what she took offense to. However, she didn't likewise didn't intend to come across the way she did to. She's not really a message board person to begin with.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 10, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »

"Let's leave it to the grown ups" was a nicer way of saying "what the f*** is it any of your business?"

While you didn't say anything that was pungently offensive, it is extremely poor form to discuss the intricacies of Brian's managerial or financial practices right after those who just apprehensively unloaded a wealth of credible, record-straightening information just finished stating there need not be concerns in this public forum. The least you could do is express apologies to her.
I apologized to her. What the f*** more do you want me do, huh? Again, I didn't realize we were being preached to. I thought I could add to the discussion. She didn't like the term handler, I tried to explain why some people use the term. Again, I didn't realize that it was a one way CONVERSATION.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: September 10, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »

Appak- He did apologize to her, and as she hasn't been online since, i passed them on to her. Likewise, she wanted me to do the same .

It was a misunderstanding...it's done. It happened, it's over.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 10, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »

If you already apologized then I must have missed it, so it was an error on my part, and now I'm the one apologizing. I think it would have been best to drop the subject altogether and let the thread move onto more interesting stories than to enlighten/recap us on business business and balk when a guest is justifiably peeved.

edit: just saw the above post; rest assured I have no more thoughts on the matter
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:28:37 PM by appak » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 10, 2014, 05:29:34 PM »

If you already apologized then I must have missed it, so it was an error on my part, and now I'm the one apologizing. I think it would have been best to drop the subject altogether and let the thread move onto more interesting stories than to enlighten/recap us on business business and balk when a guest is justifiably peeved.
Now, that is the greatest back-handed apology that I ever received. You really shouldn't have bothered. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: September 10, 2014, 05:34:54 PM »

Appak just noticed it and edited his post thusly.

With that...what's done is done and can't be undone. So...let's move on from here, and not discuss the matter further.

So...

Glad to hear that Lionsgate picked up the movie for the US too!

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 10, 2014, 05:37:50 PM »

Now, that is the greatest back-handed apology that I ever received. You really shouldn't have bothered. Wink

I'll go one further, as much of the discussion over the last few pages of this thread qualifies to be put under the header "There goes (insert appropriate time block) of my life I'll never get back!"

Seriously a lecture on etiquette?  Not to belabor the point but "there goes _____ of my life I'll never get back!"  The bottom line for me is we are all adults here and know what is appropriate means of communication versus what isn't.  From my standpoint only people who are trying to agitate or disrupt the forum ignore these guidelines and since that obviously didn't go on here, I don't really see what the issue is.

Edit: Apologies as I did not read the above request to change the subject.  I am obviously in complete agreement that we should move along...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:40:26 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 10, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »

In response to AGD's post earlier

Andrew;

Your dates are correct with regard to the filing of the lawsuit initiated by Carl, Audree, Wendy and Carnie. And yes, Melinda was officially cut off, by Landy, from Brian , starting 1989 , until they got together in 1993. What nobody could possibly know (actually maybe three or four people know) is what was going on “off radar”, or behind the scenes at that time; I was “in the mix” during that period and I remember it all too vividly. I have never said a word about it, but it is time I did.

First of all, it is abject fiction that she never saw Brian after being banned by Landy in 1989. Melinda had her own house in Malibu, which was three miles from the dump that Landy had Brian living in; and it was a dump. Brian had to jog six miles daily; the Landy goons were at specific checkpoints all the time; hell, they weren’t running.  He and Melinda saw each other constantly, on the sly. Brian would sneak to a phone booth and call her, and they would meet; albeit briefly; topic was always a progress report on getting him out of there, and of course, encouragement for Brian in such a sick , twisted situation. Remember; he was forbidden by this sicko to contact his family; so the two of them devised a system that worked.

Melinda (then) Ledbetter, met Brian in 1986 ; dated him until Landy found out in 1989 that ,not only was their relationship very serious, but also she was on to him and the bullshit he was doing to Brian; and had been on to him for some time. She was quickly and effectively blocked from all contact with Brian ,or so he thought, as shown above. During that time, both prior to being doused by Landy and after, she tried several times, unsuccessfully, to get the family involved in ousting this bastard. I remember that she got Audree’s cell number off her carphone bill, when Brian tried, unsuccessfully , to try and contact her; I also remember that Audree thought that Mike Love had put her up to calling ! By then it was pretty apparent that eliminating Landy would be a daunting task, as it was difficult to figure out who to trust, and who would weasel her out to Landy. Finally, she contacted the Attorney General, State of California, who told her what she already knew; that she needed to get Brian’s family onboard; without family involvement and consent, nothing could happen, and to that end, gave her Carl’s attorney’s information, Ross Schwartz and Jody Leslie.

Anyway, Melinda then had a few preliminary meetings, I believe, with Ross Schwartz, but soon found that Jody Leslie was “all ears” and was committed to help. It was Jody Leslie who finally convinced the family they needed to step in, after Melinda hand delivered Brian’s will to her, which had been given to Melinda by Andy Dean, one of Brian’s ‘bodyguards”, who developed a conscience after his girlfriend pushed him to help Melinda. This will had been dramatically altered by Landy, whereas he and his girlfriend/wife, Alexandra Morgan, became beneficiaries of 80% of Brian’s estate; Carnie and Wendy were left with 10% each; prior to that, the bulk of the estate went to Carnie and Wendy , with I believe , a smaller portion left to Carl. It was then that the family started the ball rolling with the conservatorship filing; additionally Carl was determined not to let Stan Love take custody of Brian.  This all started in 1989; even though blocked by Landy from seeing Brian, Melinda was relentless is trying to get him the hell out of there. She was asked by Jody Leslie to set up Landy getting served the conservancy papers at the Cadillac dealership; she was so scared of Landy by that time that when he arrived, she was in her office , doors locked , hiding under the desk, afraid of Landy’s erratic behavior. I know that there was a time, just before she was cut off from Brian, that she was secretly taping the mandatory Landy meetings, just in case something happened to her ; it was scary stuff.  I had to go through that bastard twice to see Brian ; I live in New York but Los Angeles was too close for me with Landy; he was that crazy ; I don’t know how she dealt with him , but to her eternal credit she did.
Anyone who loves Brian’s music owes, at minimum, a “thank you” to Melinda Wilson; without her perseverance in exposing Landy and getting the family involved, Brian would be long gone. Think about it; Landy was pumping him full up with all those meds and making him run six miles a day all jacked up ; it was only a matter of time before his heart gave out, or had a stroke.

Her role in getting Brian away from Landy should not and cannot be denigrated or minimized. The vitriol for Melinda Wilson by some on this board is uncalled for, usually over the top and misguided; personally I don’t get it, but from now on when it happens, I, for one, will have her back , armed with the facts.

Finally; I was reading in a few posts wondering what Brian’s reaction to the film was.  Here you go:  “I really liked the movie because the real life was so much worse”.

That's the second person who was there who's picked me up on my statement concerning Melinda not being either in touch or part of the process, and I'm equally grateful to both for setting me, us and much more importantly, the historical record, straight. When the sources and info are this credible, I have no problem whatsoever with being told to STFU, in private or in public.  Grin

One of the other ,unfortunately less known historical facts about "Dr." Landy is that one of his patients, Scott Newman , commited suicide either while under Landy's program or just after it. I am fairly certain about that. Scott's father was Paul Newman.  As you stated in your other post, Landy helped himself , that is it. I used to say that Landy saved Brian's life, but I no longer feel that way. At the end of the day , he got Brian to lose weight; twice.

In 1976 I went to see Brian at the bellagio house; when he came to the door he said that he couldnt hang out at all unless it was cleared by his doctor, and gave me Landy's number. So I had to go get interviewed by this guy ; what a bizarre experience.  All Landy wanted to know was what drugs I was doing (none) , how many women I had slept with (not nearly enough ) and why I wanted to record with Brian Wilson (I didnt).  He wanted to know how I got from NY to LA (Pan Am) and finally wanted to know would I be giving Brian any alcohol.  I felt like I was talking to a Warden on speed. So Landy said "you have my blessing, go on back to the house, I will tell Brian you are approved". So as I am walking out of this charlatan's office, I literally walk straight into his next patient, or rather victim, who at that time was literally the most famous actress in the world. I remember thinking to myself " she is seeing this quack ?? Holy s..t"   You cant make this stuff up

Landy also "treated" Gig Young, who ended up killing his wife and then himself. What a horrible legacy of mistreatment and exploitation Landy has.

Ray, I also wish to thank you for your enlightening posts about Brian and Melinda.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »

In response to AGD's post earlier

Andrew;

Your dates are correct with regard to the filing of the lawsuit initiated by Carl, Audree, Wendy and Carnie. And yes, Melinda was officially cut off, by Landy, from Brian , starting 1989 , until they got together in 1993. What nobody could possibly know (actually maybe three or four people know) is what was going on “off radar”, or behind the scenes at that time; I was “in the mix” during that period and I remember it all too vividly. I have never said a word about it, but it is time I did.

First of all, it is abject fiction that she never saw Brian after being banned by Landy in 1989. Melinda had her own house in Malibu, which was three miles from the dump that Landy had Brian living in; and it was a dump. Brian had to jog six miles daily; the Landy goons were at specific checkpoints all the time; hell, they weren’t running.  He and Melinda saw each other constantly, on the sly. Brian would sneak to a phone booth and call her, and they would meet; albeit briefly; topic was always a progress report on getting him out of there, and of course, encouragement for Brian in such a sick , twisted situation. Remember; he was forbidden by this sicko to contact his family; so the two of them devised a system that worked.

Melinda (then) Ledbetter, met Brian in 1986 ; dated him until Landy found out in 1989 that ,not only was their relationship very serious, but also she was on to him and the bullshit he was doing to Brian; and had been on to him for some time. She was quickly and effectively blocked from all contact with Brian ,or so he thought, as shown above. During that time, both prior to being doused by Landy and after, she tried several times, unsuccessfully, to get the family involved in ousting this bastard. I remember that she got Audree’s cell number off her carphone bill, when Brian tried, unsuccessfully , to try and contact her; I also remember that Audree thought that Mike Love had put her up to calling ! By then it was pretty apparent that eliminating Landy would be a daunting task, as it was difficult to figure out who to trust, and who would weasel her out to Landy. Finally, she contacted the Attorney General, State of California, who told her what she already knew; that she needed to get Brian’s family onboard; without family involvement and consent, nothing could happen, and to that end, gave her Carl’s attorney’s information, Ross Schwartz and Jody Leslie.

Anyway, Melinda then had a few preliminary meetings, I believe, with Ross Schwartz, but soon found that Jody Leslie was “all ears” and was committed to help. It was Jody Leslie who finally convinced the family they needed to step in, after Melinda hand delivered Brian’s will to her, which had been given to Melinda by Andy Dean, one of Brian’s ‘bodyguards”, who developed a conscience after his girlfriend pushed him to help Melinda. This will had been dramatically altered by Landy, whereas he and his girlfriend/wife, Alexandra Morgan, became beneficiaries of 80% of Brian’s estate; Carnie and Wendy were left with 10% each; prior to that, the bulk of the estate went to Carnie and Wendy , with I believe , a smaller portion left to Carl. It was then that the family started the ball rolling with the conservatorship filing; additionally Carl was determined not to let Stan Love take custody of Brian.  This all started in 1989; even though blocked by Landy from seeing Brian, Melinda was relentless is trying to get him the hell out of there. She was asked by Jody Leslie to set up Landy getting served the conservancy papers at the Cadillac dealership; she was so scared of Landy by that time that when he arrived, she was in her office , doors locked , hiding under the desk, afraid of Landy’s erratic behavior. I know that there was a time, just before she was cut off from Brian, that she was secretly taping the mandatory Landy meetings, just in case something happened to her ; it was scary stuff.  I had to go through that bastard twice to see Brian ; I live in New York but Los Angeles was too close for me with Landy; he was that crazy ; I don’t know how she dealt with him , but to her eternal credit she did.
Anyone who loves Brian’s music owes, at minimum, a “thank you” to Melinda Wilson; without her perseverance in exposing Landy and getting the family involved, Brian would be long gone. Think about it; Landy was pumping him full up with all those meds and making him run six miles a day all jacked up ; it was only a matter of time before his heart gave out, or had a stroke.

Her role in getting Brian away from Landy should not and cannot be denigrated or minimized. The vitriol for Melinda Wilson by some on this board is uncalled for, usually over the top and misguided; personally I don’t get it, but from now on when it happens, I, for one, will have her back , armed with the facts.

Finally; I was reading in a few posts wondering what Brian’s reaction to the film was.  Here you go:  “I really liked the movie because the real life was so much worse”.

That's the second person who was there who's picked me up on my statement concerning Melinda not being either in touch or part of the process, and I'm equally grateful to both for setting me, us and much more importantly, the historical record, straight. When the sources and info are this credible, I have no problem whatsoever with being told to STFU, in private or in public.  Grin

One of the other ,unfortunately less known historical facts about "Dr." Landy is that one of his patients, Scott Newman , commited suicide either while under Landy's program or just after it. I am fairly certain about that. Scott's father was Paul Newman.  As you stated in your other post, Landy helped himself , that is it. I used to say that Landy saved Brian's life, but I no longer feel that way. At the end of the day , he got Brian to lose weight; twice.

In 1976 I went to see Brian at the bellagio house; when he came to the door he said that he couldnt hang out at all unless it was cleared by his doctor, and gave me Landy's number. So I had to go get interviewed by this guy ; what a bizarre experience.  All Landy wanted to know was what drugs I was doing (none) , how many women I had slept with (not nearly enough ) and why I wanted to record with Brian Wilson (I didnt).  He wanted to know how I got from NY to LA (Pan Am) and finally wanted to know would I be giving Brian any alcohol.  I felt like I was talking to a Warden on speed. So Landy said "you have my blessing, go on back to the house, I will tell Brian you are approved". So as I am walking out of this charlatan's office, I literally walk straight into his next patient, or rather victim, who at that time was literally the most famous actress in the world. I remember thinking to myself " she is seeing this quack ?? Holy s..t"   You cant make this stuff up

Landy also "treated" Gig Young, who ended up killing his wife and then himself. What a horrible legacy of mistreatment and exploitation Landy has.

Ray, I also wish to thank you for your enlightening posts about Brian and Melinda.

Without in any way defending Landy's methods, Gig Young I believe had some difficulties in relationships before Landy came into his life.  Around a decade ago, I watched a biography on Elizabeth Montgomery and it was mentioned that Liz's marriage to Gig Young ended in divorce allegedly due to Young's battles and issues with alcohol. 

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 10, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »

Appak just noticed it and edited his post thusly.

With that...what's done is done and can't be undone. So...let's move on from here, and not discuss the matter further.

So...

Glad to hear that Lionsgate picked up the movie for the US too!
That is great news. Lionsgate has been a major player over the past few years and can really have an impact with making this a major theater release.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 10, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »

She seemed to come in with the mindset of making a few posts and leaving anyway. 

I think so too.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 10, 2014, 06:37:43 PM »

You didn't say anything that crossed the line.  Some of the posters here are far too sensitive.  Lets keep this the land of free discussion, debate and opinion.

Agree with this 100%.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 10, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »

I read lionsgate has acquired the American and Canadian rights to the the film for 3 million.

That's a big investment. Hopefully they get behind the film and get it out there for people to see.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 06:42:58 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 10, 2014, 07:37:38 PM »

I read lionsgate has acquired the American and Canadian rights to the the film for 3 million.

That's a big investment. Hopefully they get behind the film and get it out there for people to see.

I'm most excited about what this film could do for a new found appreciation of Brian's/BB's work.  Perhaps much the same way that "Walk the Line" and "Ray" did for their respective subjects.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 10, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »

I'm very glad this film did so well at the festival and am looking forward to seeing it in the theaters!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: September 10, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »

She seemed to come in with the mindset of making a few posts and leaving anyway.

I think so too.
 Yeah...she only wanted to set the record straight regarding Brian ...had no intention of sticking around,  and it had nothing to do with being offended or any posts that were made. No harm,  no foul.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx