gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:49:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508236 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2014, 12:34:04 PM »

It would no doubt work but the title is too negative.  What can we do to project some positivity, maybe add some of the boy-girl dynamic so the people can "get it"...

"It's a Love Thing" -- positivity, redemption, and the possibility of yogic flying set against a backdrop of protracted legal battles and relentless touring. BOX OFFICE GOLD.

Ok! Back to Brian. Stamos... (makes call me gesture)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:37:24 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2014, 12:38:41 PM »

Not sure how to post pictures, but there are 2 cool ones on Brian's facebook page, one from the movie, and one from the premiere.

https://www.facebook.com/officialbrianwilson
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2014, 12:48:34 PM »

It would no doubt work but the title is too negative.  What can we do to project some positivity, maybe add some of the boy-girl dynamic so the people can "get it"...

"It's a Love Thing" -- positivity, redemption, and the possibility of yogic flying set against a backdrop of protracted legal battles and relentless touring. BOX OFFICE GOLD.

Ok! Back to Brian. Stamos... (makes call me gesture)

See, now I'm sucked in..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:50:47 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 08, 2014, 12:52:51 PM »

Thanks to all for the info and reviews, specially schiaffino. Im so glad that this movie is getting nothing but good reviews. In some time we'll see if its great, very good or just good, but at least its not bad, that was my worry. Now we just have to wait for the trailer.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 08, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »

http://biffbampop.com/2014/09/08/tiff-2014-love-and-mercy-reviewed/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »

Forgot to mention, Shady, that during Q&A the director said that they recreated all the songs (and song parts) using professionals musicians! And what they did to make it more authentic was to mix some of the new recordings with actual BBs ones, so in some songs you get a mix of Paul Dano and Brian singing!

Thought that was amazing.

and also during Q&A Paul Dano said the most difficult thing was to shoot the scene where he plays Surfs Up. Its all him, the singing and playing, and that was apparently his first day in the shooting. So he said he was scared to death, but managed to pull it off quite nicely  Smiley

During the actual filming, several of the "actors" portraying the various studio musicians had dropped hints indirectly about this without actually saying what the director said yesterday or the description of Dano recreating Inside Pop. The 'actors' playing the Wrecking Crew were/are actually professional musicians, such as Teresa Cowles who plays Carol Kaye...she is a working pro bass player and performer. So having the director confirm this is pretty cool, and it puts into context the few photos posted to Instagram/Twitter/Facebook/etc that had candid shots of these musicians dressed in 60's garb between takes of the studio scenes.

They not only played the roles but according to the Q&A they played the music too. I cannot wait to see and hear how they edited all of this together into a finished product. Quite a daunting task.

As far as the musical skills of some of the actors, remember there were photos and postings about a live jam session they all had at one point with Brian on stage at a wrap party or some similar event, jamming through some of the hits.

I like this more current practice of having the actors themselves actually play and sing the parts, then finding that balance between the originals and the new recreations. It's not a new thing, recall Gary Busey playing Buddy Holly including the musical performances, but the bar has been set pretty high for how this is done in these kinds of films where the music is as much a star as the actors themselves.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »

Photos like this one of Teresa Cowles:  Wink

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rich E P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »

Thanks for the reports!  Must see this soon.  I was so worried that it would be a disaster or let down like some of the previous attempts.  Seems like all reviews thus far (from attendees and pro critics) are quite positive.

Now I want to know what will be on the soundtrack!!!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2014, 02:58:12 PM »

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/love-and-mercy-brian-wilson-biopic.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:02:36 PM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2014, 03:02:11 PM »

I couldnt agree more with this review.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »

Another "screenshot" courtesy of Claudia Graf.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »

Actor on right. Carl?

Beard alert...Beard alert!
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2014, 03:49:11 PM »

Actor on right. Carl?

Beard alert...Beard alert!

Nope, one of Landy's goons

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »

Any hint of a release date for this thing?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »

I think the guy manning the grill looks more like Brian than Cuasck does.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2014, 04:06:54 PM »

Thats Paul Giamatti... and I agree. In that picture he does look more like Brian.  LOL
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »

Thats Paul Giamatti... and I agree. In that picture he does look more like Brian.  LOL

I honestly thought it was Brian at first, then I saw Cusask and got confused Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »

Any hint of a release date for this thing?

We should know pretty soon

The film, which does not have a U.S. distributor but has attracted substantial buyer interest since its premiere at the festival

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-toronto-film-festival-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-s-20140908-story.html#page=1

Credit to all involved, Love & Mercy has had a very successful showing at the festival
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:22:45 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2014/09/danos-wilson-love-mercy-staggering/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
Another stellar review.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/09/08/toronto-beach-boy-brian-wilson-gets-standing-ovation-for-outstanding-biopic
Some interesting notes from this article: The movie, by the way, won’t help Wilson family relations. Beach Boy Mike Love, a cousin, always known as a creep, comes off just that way.

Lions Gate has international rights, they may release “Love and Mercy” in the US if someone else doesn’t. The movie’s a hit, though. And it’s so great that Brian Wilson has gotten a decent film document of his enormous cultural legacy.

Also, I still think the perfect opening for a BBs movie would be Brian walking along the shore at the rented beach house Landy had him in, with "Male Ego" playing in the background as he stumbles clumsily over the rocks. He looks nervously at girls passing by as the song continues. As the song fades, we cut to the car dealership where he meets Melinda.
I like that! A very quirky & inspired opening. From reading schiaffino's review (thanks for that, btw!), i'd say Let's Go To Heaven In My Car would've been perfect to play over that last scene.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 06:14:24 PM by Ghost_of_Dr._Landy » Logged

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2014, 06:17:26 PM »

The reviews both officially published in the trades and firsthand from other viewers and bloggers seem unanimous so far - it's a damn fine film! With this much positive talk from one screening at the film fest, I agree, I don't think getting a distributor will be an issue at this point.

Now my question for those who saw it - How was the "woodie" station wagon seen that was being debated a few months ago handled in the film? Was that later-model car from the on-set photos used to represent the Surfin Safari Model A truck?

Silly, I know, but my curious nature got the best of me. I gotta know.  Grin

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2014, 06:32:46 PM »

Brian watching the movie

Brian leaving the movie

I'd love to know what he really thought of it and what it was like for him to see his life on screen. Guess we'll never know.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2014, 06:38:33 PM »

well he's got that autobiography that's supposed to come out next yr. Maybe he'll give his thoughts on it in there.

But yah, sitting right there in the audience. What'a trip that must've been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQUG0ekNaM0 Brian somewhat "collapsing" at the screening. Hopefully he was ok. Looks like he awkwardly tried to stand up and kinda tripped.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:12:10 PM by Ghost_of_Dr._Landy » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2014, 06:50:03 PM »

Hey Shady, you got one of Brian takin' a wiz?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2014, 06:57:35 PM »

Hey Shady, you got one of Brian takin' a wiz?

A close-up!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »

But yah, sitting right there in the audience. What'a trip that must've been.

How about it? I think it says a lot about the man to be able to watch those incredibly tough scenes of his life play out on screen, and to be in the middle of the whole thing ending in a standing ovation from those around him, taking it all in graciously and with a smile. My takeaway is that he is a survivor, and at many times in the past 45 years or so the odds would have been against Brian Wilson, yet he is still creating music for his fans and putting smiles on their faces. Inspiring.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx