gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:54:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 508179 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »

We are days away from Love & Mercy being released at the Toronto Film Festival, it's first showing is on Sunday the 7th of September. John Cusack is expected to attended, no word on Brian.

I'm happy to say that the film has already received a rave review from the festival co-director, ""Dispensing with staid biopic conventions, director Bill Pohlad nimbly intercuts between two key periods in Wilson's life, shining a double spotlight on his rise to stardom with the Beach Boys in the sixties and his remarkable eighties solo resurgence. As the younger Wilson, Paul Dano gives a superb performance that conveys the artist's prodigious gifts as well as his increasingly precarious mental state; the scenes of creative exploration during the Pet Sounds sessions are exhilarating. John Cusack is equally compelling, burrowing into himself as Dano's middle-aged counterpart."

We'll follow it's showing in this thread, reviews, pics etc.

German TV coverage, Love & Mercy starts at 4:32.

http://www.3sat.de/mediathek/?mode=play&obj=49273

Few but interesting footage.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:43:37 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:27:09 PM »

Everything points to this movie being amazing - the incorrect woodie has not destroyed the film!! - and I can't wait to see it.

Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:30:33 PM »

Only 2 more weeks! If only I lived in Canada or near Toronto. However, I'm still hoping they find a distributor and release it soon here in the US.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:23:42 PM »

Hey I hope it does well but surely the role of a 'festival co-director' is to promote and sell tickets so I take any review from within the TIFF with a pinch of salt.

Fingers crossed though.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »

Very true. I just found the comment "the scenes of creative exploration during the Pet Sounds sessions are exhilarating" pretty interesting. It's nice to known the Pet Sounds sessions get some screen time.

No matter how bad the movie is those scenes should be good.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:35:18 PM »

Very true. I just found the comment "the scenes of creative exploration during the Pet Sounds sessions are exhilarating" pretty interesting. It's nice to known the Pet Sounds sessions get some screen time.

No matter how bad the movie is those scenes should be good.

Several stills of these '66 studio scenes have appeared on Twitter and such via the actors and musicians playing the musicians (what???  Grin  ), a few are in the BW film thread. I'm very much looking forward to seeing (and hearing) those scenes on the big screen.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 11:58:39 PM »

i hope it gets worldwide distrbution and preems in denmark. if danish tv could show the beard movie, surely there must be a market for something so clearly better. if jersey boys can get danish distribution, i don't see why love and mercy shouldn't have a market. only the older generation of danes remember the four seasons at all, but beach boys span the generations, as they do all over the world. isn't there also a dennis movie in production?
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 12:41:22 AM »

Interesting to see that the film isn't structured chronologically. Should make for an interesting experience watching it.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 04:44:13 AM »

Dying to see the director's cut version with the BW/Alice Cooper/Iggy Pop "Shortenin' Bread" scene taking up one straight hour right in the middle of the film.
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 05:37:05 AM »

And the day before ....

Roger Waters The Wall
Rue 21 Productions Presents
A Film By Roger Waters and Sean Evans
ROGER WATERS THE WALL
World Premiere September 6, 2014 Toronto International Film Festival

http://www.tiff.net/festivals/thefestival/programmes/specialpresentations/the-wall

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »

I hope this film manages to be interesting. Statements like "remarkable eighties solo resurgence" sound a bit weird to me. I'm curious how dark and accurate the Landy portrayal (not just the Landy character himself, but the whole situation) is going to be.

But I do like the idea of dispensing with a chronological movie trying to hit all the points. Invariably, what seems to happen in those cases is mostly covering the 60's, conflating the 70's into one or two key things (spaced out Brian, etc.), and barely touching on the 80's. This will be different, so that could be good.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 09:06:31 AM »

I was wondering if maybe they are playing this at the film festival so that they can find someone to distribute it... also why doesn't Capitol distribute it, or at least find a studio that they have worked closely with in the past? after all they have worked with movie companies before.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 04:15:06 AM »

isn't there also a dennis movie in production?

Not for some time. It was shelved last year.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 04:16:31 AM »

Everything points to this movie being amazing...

Really ?  Such as ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 04:29:42 AM »

Well, there's this one: https://www.facebook.com/BiggerThanTheBeatles

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 08:40:48 AM »

I was wondering if maybe they are playing this at the film festival so that they can find someone to distribute it... also why doesn't Capitol distribute it, or at least find a studio that they have worked closely with in the past? after all they have worked with movie companies before.

I don't think Capitol does movie distribution these days. Obviously, their parent company Universal does. I don't suppose it's out of the realm of possibilities that due to Brian's relationship with Capitol/Universal, they could try to catch the attention of Universal or some sort of indie subsidiary if they have one.

I think they want to get the thing into theaters. I'm sure there are plenty of home video distributors that would put this thing out on Blu/DVD. I don't think we should worry about that so much. It's a matter of whether they can get a good distributor to give this a real push in theaters, and if so, how long they will take to see that out and then run it in theaters.

It could well be another year before we can buy a DVD or Blu-ray of this film. If/when they get a distributor, it will probably run a bunch of festival circuits and then do the arthouse circuit, limited runs, etc. There doesn't seem to be a big chance of this getting widespread, 3,000-screen distribution.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »

Well, there's this one: https://www.facebook.com/BiggerThanTheBeatles

Here's a scene from the BIGGER THAN THE BEATLES film...

http://www.imdb.com/video/demo_reel/vi2592385049

...as you can see, this is very "indie" with an obvious low budget (I'm trying to be nice).

As to THE DRUMMER: that project was initiated by Randall Miller who probably won't be directing anything soon after being charged with manslaughter and criminal trespass during the shooting of his Greg Allman biopic. It's probably a good thing to keep him away from Dennis; his CBGB is one of the worst music-oriented films I've seen.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »

will the movie have a cd with remakes of BB songs performed by Brian?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:27:25 AM by Dutchie » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »

Everything points to this movie being amazing...

Really ?  Such as ?
Roll Eyes Good crew (/creative team), inspired cast.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »

Should we expect a trailer before the premiere or not? I think i'm waiting anxiously in vain.
I recently read that a trailer is usually released 2/3 months before cinema debut, so maybe we'll have to wait another 2/3 months to see a trailer Sad
(of course sometimes depends on the promotion strategy and the demand, but this one doesn't feel like being a top anticipated movie)
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 12:13:32 PM »

Are we ever getting a trailer?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »

Of course there'll be a trailer. Should be soon now.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:45:57 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »

I want a trailer!

(That scene from the independent Dennis-movie looked actually pretty good, even though it propably isn't even a scene in the actual movie, what so ever. A billion time better than any scene from the Summer Dreams-fecal festival).
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »

will the movie have a cd with remakes of BB songs performed by Brian?

No.
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 01:04:30 PM »

Well, the movie is finished, has top actors in it, it's about to premiere a major festival and it's ranked 153 in the 200 most anticipated films of 2014, so yes, I think we are getting a movie and of course a trailer; when and how is the question.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx