gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:08:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What song do you consider to be sonically perfect?  (Read 8036 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »

Slow Nerve Action by the Flaming Lips
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 02:22:12 AM »

1st one that comes to mind is most of "Nilsson sings Newman" also thinking the "The World Won't End" album by the Pernice Brothers.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »

Here, There, and Everywhere is VERY high up there. Stereo version kicks the mono version's butt big time.
mysticmoon1993
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 08:22:35 PM »

Basically everything by Steely Dan... save Gaucho and everything post-Gaucho I guess. Someone here mentioned Black Cow-- totally agree on that one. Everything on Aja is flawlessly done, as is nearly everything on The Royal Scam, especially Kid Charlemagne. Donald Fagen and Walter Becker were notorious perfectionists, to the point they'd end up infuriating their musicians, I've heard. But it was totally worth it.
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »

Beach Boys - Hushabye
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the pink robots pt. 1

I love how these songs sound.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »

I'll skip classic Brian Wilson productions and songs recorded by Stephen Desper, or my list would consist mainly of those... So here goes!

Robert Johnson: Kind Hearted Woman Blues

Just microphone in a corner and a guy with a guitar facing it. No mixing afterwards. And hey, you got the perfect balance, vocal tone and guitar tone. Sometimes it doesn't take much.

Led Zeppelin: When The Levee Breaks

Grandeur of English country manor blended with desperation of blues and captured on tape. "Epic" is an overused word, but it's the only one doing that does this record justice.

Marvin Gaye: What's Going On (whole album)

The sound is so thick and dense, it has just the right amount of murk! By the way, I think Come Together is The Beatles' best-engineered song for the same reason.

Sex Pistols: Anarchy in the UK

Sounds huge, exciting, unstoppable. That flanging on guitar(s) is the icing on the cake, adds to that almost cosmic swirl of noise.

The Stone Roses: Second Coming -LP

One of the best drum sounds ever. And this one's got the murk too!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 09:23:21 PM »

Marvin Gaye: What's Going On (whole album)
Never got the hype for this iconic (Air Quotes) record; it's like every next track is inferior to the last one. So by default, it's not sonically perfect for me. I agree with john k (reply #16).

however, I agree with you on Robert Johnson. Not just that song, overall.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 10:38:31 PM »

Well, What's Going On is definitely a grower, it takes quite a few listens to really sink in. It's not really about individual songs but overall vibe and Groove... And sonically, that wall of dark funk IS quite mesmerizing. Like a jungle you have to wade through.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »

Believe me, Jukka, I heard it enough times, it's simply not my music. And that's okay by me, thank goodness there are tons of stuff to choose from.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:47:50 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »

Of what is mentioned here, Aja and What's Goin On.  some one mentioned some ABBA, that's up there too.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »

Apache - The Shadows...

RickB
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »

Many great choices here; of bands previously mentioned I want to ditto Steely Dan, Big Star (1st 2), and the Beatles as "Classic" rock bands that put sonics at the fore (along with great songs and playing!).  Oddly the Beach Boys, who are so musically advanced, had earlier AM-oriented monaural mixes as their high point, excepting the sublime "Sunflower."  "Pet Sounds" and the "Smile" stuff, arguably their (Brian's) artistic peak,  all brilliantly written, played, arranged, sung, still sound like they were channeled through a refrigerator full of food or something.

Of course I still dig 'em!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »

Yeah, compared to his contemporaries, from the engineering point of view Brian was of the old guard. Could have been the one-ear thing, though.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx