gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:12:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The kindlier face of this board...  (Read 7212 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:44:13 PM »

This may not be strictly OT. Don't care, it deserves a wider audience than The Sandbox.

Over the years this board has had dark times but I will never, ever forget the sympathy and consideration shown to me here five years ago today when my wonderful mother passed away, from all posters including those who rightly had no need to be even civil to me given my treatment of them. That warmed my heart and made those early dark days a little lighter, a little easier. Some have themselves left us, other have moved on but many are still here - you'd think we'd have found something better to do by now, huh ? - and to all, I reiterate my gratitude and heartfelt thanks. We are basically good people.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 12:37:39 AM »

Wonderful words, Andrew -

thank you for sharing these thought with us.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:17:31 AM »

Thanks for sharing those sentiments, Andrew.

I believe the reasons that unite us, that bring us here one time or another, are as diverse as the members themselves. We have casual fans, veteran collectors, historians, musicians, engineers, the list goes on. Post a question, regardless of how arcane, and you'll have an answer in short time. We each have our strengths and weaknesses. But at our core is our shared love and admiration for that quintessential garage band that started out in Hawthorne, CA, some fifty-three years ago. Safe to say Smiley would not be the same place without each of us. And the Beach Boys, each with their own set of strengths and weaknesses, would not be quite the same band without each of them.

And, Andrew, seeing she gave you life and guided you throughout, I'd imagine she must have been, and still is I am sure, a wonderful woman. 
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:36:20 AM »

This may not be strictly OT. Don't care, it deserves a wider audience than The Sandbox.

Over the years this board has had dark times but I will never, ever forget the sympathy and consideration shown to me here five years ago today when my wonderful mother passed away, from all posters including those who rightly had no need to be even civil to me given my treatment of them. That warmed my heart and made those early dark days a little lighter, a little easier. Some have themselves left us, other have moved on but many are still here - you'd think we'd have found something better to do by now, huh ? - and to all, I reiterate my gratitude and heartfelt thanks. We are basically good people.
Thanks for sharing that.

I like to think of us as the village from the Asterix comic books. It's more of a European thing (Franco-Belgian book), so US folks might not know it? Basically, it's a bunch of good-hearted Gauls (warriors, fishermen, blacksmiths, etc.) who love to pick fights with each other all the time - but at the end of each adventure they feast together, celebrate each other's company and share the .

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:26:15 AM »

Thanks for sharing that.

I like to think of us as the village from the Asterix comic books. It's more of a European thing (Franco-Belgian book), so US folks might not know it? Basically, it's a bunch of good-hearted Gauls (warriors, fishermen, blacksmiths, etc.) who love to pick fights with each other all the time - but at the end of each adventure they feast together, celebrate each other's company and share the .

Which characters correspond to which forum members? Who gets bound and gagged before the feast can begin?

Seriously though, the vast majority of heated argument on this board clearly conveys no personal malice or bad feeling. It's just strong opinions.

Please delete my account
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 12:57:23 PM »

I'm from the USA and I love Asterix comics! Thanks for posting that panel.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »

Thank you for sharing that, Andrew. And thank you too Jim for your own wise words.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:00:44 PM »

Lovely stuff  Grin

It appears AGD get's pretty emotional in the early hours of the morning  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »

Lovely stuff  Grin

It appears AGD get's pretty emotional in the early hours of the morning  LOL
It would have been late in the evening for him, wouldn't it? But yes, it's lovely stuff.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 05:23:42 PM »

I think we sometimes forget that if any two of us on this board worked in the same office, we'd probably be best office pals.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 05:44:22 PM »

I think you're right.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »

thanks agd, this board is indeed very special. i am humbled by the vast knowlege on display, and i lke the friendliness of the board. just clicked over here from a very dysfunctional board that does not tolerate veering too far from the consensus, and it's a relief to see how harmonious smileysmile.net is.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 10:31:40 PM »

Lovely stuff  Grin

It appears AGD get's pretty emotional in the early hours of the morning  LOL
It would have been late in the evening for him, wouldn't it? But yes, it's lovely stuff.

Early morning, before I went to work. I live in southern England.

And thanks for the kind words... but this thread is about you, (collectively) not me.  All families fight, and fall out, but there are times when the herd instinct predominates, and circles are formed. Bow
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:33:05 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 10:49:25 PM »

There are so many different people bringing so many different perspectives and different niche areas of interests (the collectors, the studio geeks, the live gig guys, the historians, the political commentators, the useless guy with nothing to contribute but tiresome dad jokes, too name but a few).

And all of them passionate about the same thing; the boys and their music, and the importance and change it's made to their lives - which endures beyond the squabbles and the disagreements, and gives us something to share. 

I'm glad to have found this place, it's kinda soothing.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »

I think we sometimes forget that if any two of us on this board worked in the same office, we'd probably be best office pals.

Absolutely. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »

I don't know why, I just thought of Honey,  I Shrunk the Kids.  Four kids who have nothing in common with each other are often arguing about petty things. But in trying to survive they find out how much they love each other. 

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
AnnLee
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »

This is my first post. Though I've been reading this board from some time. I have been living with cancer for a year and a half. During that time, my childhood/teen obsession with the Beach Boys has been fully revived and then some. I listen to their music every day. And I read you guys almost every day--at home, in the hospital, etc. Without being aware of my existence, you've been fine and funny companions. Thanks!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 05:16:37 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to post that, and i will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 05:19:14 PM »

This is my first post. Though I've been reading this board from some time. I have been living with cancer for a year and a half. During that time, my childhood/teen obsession with the Beach Boys has been fully revived and then some. I listen to their music every day. And I read you guys almost every day--at home, in the hospital, etc. Without being aware of my existence, you've been fine and funny companions. Thanks!

Welcome - everyone here brings something different and valuable, and it really is a nice place to be. I was a bit scared when I first joined - because like you said, you know everyone but no one knows you - but that feeling will pass fairly quickly. Hope you enjoy the place  Smiley

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 05:21:10 PM »

Welcome!

Feel better!

There are some truly witty posters, here.  

And if you may indulge, a frosty Smiley virtual brew!  Beer

(Sure wish these guys would find some more girly cocktails! )

And, you have great taste in music!  Brian, Dennis, & Carl
PhilCohen
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »

Some of the other forum participants may indeed be good people, but you are (and will always be) the Darth Vader of The Beach Boys fan community. And you are likely proud of that.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »

LOL

That's a quote I will not soon forget

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 08:34:44 PM »

Smiley Smile Presents: Phil Cohen Strikes Back
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:46:42 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 08:35:03 PM »

Goin' To The Beach

"Come to the dark side - there's shade."

Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »

AnnLee, I hope you get better and you will most certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. The Beach Boys have gotten me through some dark times as well. Keep posting!

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx