gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:32:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Smiley Smile Ukulele Appreciation Society  (Read 3499 times)
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »

I hope I won't be the only member of this group. But, here goes:

I used to play keyboards. I used to play guitar. I used to sing and play a lot of things. But, life. illness, and a lot of years devoted to work and community theater absorbed all of my creative efforts and eventually crowded instrumental music out of my life. After years of allowing my musicianship to hibernate (with the exception of vocal performance), I started looking for something fun to reawaken my love of playing an instrument. And I found…

UKES!!

Yes! Ukes!!! Ukes are fun! Ukes are relaxing. And Ukes are darn cute!

So if you're a uke lover and not afraid to say so, become a member of the SSUAS. Share your uke story here! You'll be glad you did!
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »

I am a big, non-ironic fan of the uke.  While I consider keys to be my "primary" instrument these days, I still love playing my tenor ukes.  And I also play an electric tenor guitar tuned like a baritone uke.

My two go-to ukes are an EleUke solid-body electric and an Ovation acoustic-electric.

Our latest EP has a lot less uke on it, but our first one from 2013 has the uke in a few spots, especially the title track - that high, chiming sound in the opening and throughout is the EleUke being played through an overdriven Champ:  http://diabolicalmachines.bandcamp.com/album/drag-you-away
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:29:52 AM by Tomorrowville » Logged

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:44:20 PM »

Oh, good! I'm not alone. :D

I've just started with the uke. Nothing ironic about my love of it. It's just a sweet, gentle instrument. My first one was a Luna pineapple soprano. I liked it so much I got a Luna Maluhia concert. I want a tenor at some point and an acoustic/electric to round out the set.

Liked your music sample. Which do you like better? The EleUke or Ovation?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:46:54 PM by Cyncie » Logged
Tomorrowville
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:21:04 AM »

Thanks!  Kinda depends on the scenario.  I have used the EleUke the most, but its output jack is getting wonky and shorting out, so I've played the Ovation the most lately.  Really, amplified, it can sound more or less identical to the EleUke anyway.  I play it acoustically at home during writing, but on records and live I plug in and crank up the overdrive.

Lately, I've been doing a lot with my "sort-of uke" - an Eastwood electric tenor guitar tuned like a baritone ukulele.  It hasn't appeared on any recordings yet, but I'm working on an indie pop/twee pop side project band that's going to feature it heavily.

Songwriter, keyboard player - Pentacon Six - indie pop
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 08:07:07 AM »

So, I just got about $400.00 in mad money that I think will have to go toward a tenor!  Grin I think I have ukulele acquisition syndrome.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 12:54:56 AM »

Oh hey! Can I revive this?

All I have is a cheap little soprano uke from amazon, although it sounds ok to me.

What songs do you all play? I enjoy being able to play but I feel like I never know how to play fun songs that everyone would recognize :/

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:52:43 PM »

Check out Ukulele Underground for online lessons and song videos:  http://ukuleleunderground.com

I grew up listening to Harry Belafonte, so one of my first songs was "Jamaica Farewell." I also enjoy playing other island pop type stuff, but spent some time learning "Wipe Out" as a solo last fall. "Here Comes the Sun" is fun to play, as well. I tend to stick with the sunny stuff because I love that association with the instrument; but as you can see on Uke Underground, there are no real rules.

And, glad to see another uker!
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 10:23:20 PM »

Ooo, thank you! Yeah, the happy, sun-shiney theme is good to go off of.  Serenade

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx