gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:22:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Sounds 2  (Read 7373 times)
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »

Good name for a topic, huh?  It may be a little misleading… Smiley

So I have a friend who adores the BBs, but really only knows the old stuff.  Nothing past the 90s, really.  I know, old story.  So I’m trying to make the best damn mix of post 90s BBs evah!   I know, old story.  And I’m doing my best to base it off of Pet Sounds… that is… a melancholy song where a melancholy song goes, a peppy song where a peppy song goes, 13 tracks, 2 instrumentals, and a song about being on a boat right in the middle.  At first I was gonna try matching, say,  a Carl lead with another Carl lead, etc, but that proved impossible.  I’m also trying to pick songs that are at least a little bit artistically ambitious, and whenever goshdarn possible, a song that has that Pet Sounds feel, rare as those might be (like, say, You’re Still a Mystery)

Rules:  It's gotta be stuff post 90s.  I know, this being the BBs a lot of their "new" stuff had their genesis way back when, but still, if it was at least party recorded post 90s, and released post 90s, then it's ok. 

Rule 2: a little cheating is allowed, since there aren’t THAT MANY straight up Beach Boys songs from the 90s onward.  So I’m using one song from Summer in Paradise, if only to give Mike a presence in this mix.  I’m using Don’t Fight The Sea, which is technically a Beach Boys release,  and technically pretty recent.  I’m using Waves of Love, which isn’t a BBs song, but close enough.  I’m even borrowing Brian and Andy Paley’s In My Moondreams, because it’s a good enough analog for Pet Sounds (the song).  I know what you’re thinking, I’m separating Pacific Coast Highway from Summer’s Gone?!  And I’m putting In My Moondreams in between?!  You know, it kinda works.  A little levity before the final sad song.

So Al is very well represented here, as is Brian.  Carl also pops up a bunch.  Mike, not so much, but that’s his own damn fault  Smiley  Whatcha guys think?  Comments, opinions, angry words?  What would YOUR “Pet Sounds 2” mix be?  Am I forgetting any great, overlooked post-90s gems?  I’m still missing a song.  Suggestions? 

Here is my playlist, as well as how they relate to Pet Sounds... or how they totally don't relate.

1.   Waves of Love  //  Wouldn’t it be Nice – this is tough.  Impossible to find anything that opens with the same burst of sunshine as Wouldn’t it Be Nice.  I know some people hate Waves of Love, but it is kind of a burst of sunshine, so..

2.   You’re Still a Mystery // You Still Believe In My – artsy, contemplative, slow, Brian lead, decent match.

3.   Isn’t it Time // That’s Not Me - lots of Mike in both.

4.   SONG MISSING // Don’t Talk – hmmmm, any suggestions?

5.   Lahaina Aloha // I’m Waiting for the Day -

6.   Think About The Days // Let’s go away for a while – contemplative, slow, instrumental.  Well, Think About the Days isn’t instrumental, but it is wordless, so…  Best match I could

7.   Don’t Fight the Sea // Sloop John B. – big Al involvement, and everyone is on a boat and unhappy.  Perfect match! 

8.   Soul Searchin // God Only Knows – a big beautiful Carl song.  Decent match. 

9.   Shelter // I Know There’s An Answer -  these feel ever so slightly similar to me.

10.   From There to Back Again //  Here Today – I guess this totally doesn't match, but by now I’m committed to ending with the three “life suite” songs.  Altho I suppose I could combine From Here to Back Again with Pacific Coast, as they flow into each other, and add another song here?

11.   Pacific Coast Highway // I Just wasn’t Made For These Times – Brian being  sad, Brian being sad, decent match.

12.   In My Moondreams // Pet Sounds -  fun bouncy Hawaiin-ish instrumental, good peppy song before the sad ending.

13.   Summer’s Gone // Caroline No – perfect match, no need to say more.

Do your worst!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:40:13 AM »

Could you not expand to include 80s too? I always thought Stevie was extremely Pet Sounds compositionally.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:54:14 AM »

Just my own 2 cents: I think it may be more of a disservice to make the comp as related to Pet Sounds in any way than it would be to just make the comp of "new" songs and let them stand on their own merits, and if the person digs them or dislikes them, that's their call. If you put this 90's stuff...or even the 70's-era material in large part...next to Pet Sounds and assume a line can be drawn connecting them, the non-PS music will fall short based mostly on the fact that PS is such a massive work.

Just my 2 cents again, make the comp of the 90's era stuff you enjoy most or that touches you the most, tell them or list the reasons why the music matters to you, and give it to your friend with no "Pet Sounds" strings attached.  Smiley

Get into calling things "Pet Sounds 2", you're getting into "Rocky - The Musical" territory.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »

I would definitely include "Everything I Need" (Jeff Foskett/Brian duet version) and "This Isn't Love" from Brian's live album, two post-Pet Sounds Wilson/Asher compositions.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »

Yeah, scratch Waves of Love and sub with Rock and Roll to the Rescue!

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »

I would definitely include "Everything I Need" (Jeff Foskett/Brian duet version) and "This Isn't Love" from Brian's live album, two post-Pet Sounds Wilson/Asher compositions.

Yes. The end is beautiful.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:19:28 AM »

Well, I was gonna call it Citizen Kane 2, but that might've sounded pretentious  Grin

Ok, I wasn't really gonna name this thing Pet Sounds 2, that was just to get people to look at this thread... which totally didn't work!  Anyways, I've been listening to this mix the last couple weeks, and I gotta say, it holds together very well!  This is my final track listing... I think....

1.   Waves of Love 
2.   You’re Still a Mystery
3.   This Could Be The Night
4.   Isn't it Time
5.   Lahaina Aloha
6.   Think About The Days
7.   Don’t Fight the Sea
8.   Soul Searchin'
9.   Shelter
10.   From There to Back Again
11.   Pacific Coast Highway
12.   In My Moondreams
13.   Summer’s Gone

I even messed with some tracks a little bit, extended the ocean sounds at the end of Don't Fight the Sea, fixed some weird sounds at the end of This Could Be the Night, adjusted the volume for a bunch of the songs so they'll all play well together.  I particularly like having In My Moondreams stuck in between Pacific Coast Highway and Summer's Gone.  I surprisingly works.  Well for me anyways!

And I'm gonna call the CD...............................................  The Beach Men.  I even made a drawing for it! 

What do you guys think???  I hope Bruce doesn't get electrocuted, adjusting his mic while on a boat...

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:30:41 AM »

Dellydel, I always enjoy your art and I especially like your take on David!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »

Be sure to use the album version of Isn't It Time!!

Also, I'd ditch Shelter which really isn't a very good song. I'd include Think About The Days as one of the instrumental tracks, because it's gorgeous.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 10:21:05 AM »

This Isn't Love would be great.  Anyone know where I can find that track?

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »

What Love Can Do oughta be there… brian solo, but one of his very best and up there with any if the Beach Boys' own output over the last 35 years.

“We live in divisive times.”
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »

delly

nice piece of art.  But why is ronald reagan in the boat?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »

My take, including some solo stuff:

1. Morning Beat (has a mystical opening, followed by jaunty rock 'n' roll - even has a slower section)
2. Gettin' In Over My Head
3. Cool Head, Warm Heat (all Mike)
4. Pacific Coast Highway
5. Good Kind of Love (works for me, with tempo similarities and lyrics about lost love)
6. Can't Wait Too Long
7. Desert Drive (exotic locale)
8. Soul Searchin'
9. Shelter
10. California Role
11. Strange World (same lyrical idea)
12. In My Moondreams
13. Summer's Gone
rogerlancelot
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 12:26:17 PM »

I love your artwork way more than the concept. Seriously, that's a fantastic drawing!
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »

Don't call it "Pet Sounds 2" - it is a huge disservice to both the comp and Pet Sounds.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 12:43:40 PM »

HOW ABOUT CALLING IT SOUL ARCH! That's a surf move. And you can have a young Mike Love in the back jumping the shark doing a soul arch. On the boat, the rest of the group is forming an arch to frame Mike. Carl looks confused and Dennis is chilling with his "orange juice".
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »

Say, is Al trying to fight the sea (sickness)?  Grin

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 05:54:52 AM »

Interesting idea!

10.   From There to Back Again //  Here Today – I guess this totally doesn't match

You're right, that totally doesn't match. Another suggestion please!

You're right, perfect match.

I like "Waves Of Love" as WIBN, if you mean the saxophone version. And there is seriously no other possible contender for being the IJWMFTT of "Pet Sounds 2" than "It's Not Easy Being Me". IMHO, if you don't use that, the whole enterprise is futile.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions all!  I'll track down the ones I'm not super familiar with!   Grin   

Unfortunately, some songs are just not in "finished" quality, so I don't think they would fit in super well.  Like, It's Not Easy Being Me really is a perfect analog for IJWMFTT, but I can't find any version that sounds really great.  Also, Brain is doing his kinda-crazy voice for some of it  Smiley

Who is Ronald Reagan, Brian?Huh  Hehe, well, Bruce kinda turned into a Kennedy, so it's appropriate.    LOL

Roger, I had a feeling the drawing would be way more liked than this concept.   Cheesy

Mr. Cohen, thanks for the playlist, I'll put it together and see how it plays!  But I'm purposely avoiding pulling songs from That Lucky Old Sun because...  oh, I dunno, cuz I feel like I'm pulling some gems from unlikely places, but I think TLOS is a masterpiece from beginning to end, there's no need to highlight songs from it, I might as well just hand over the full CD to my friend and say LISTEN TO ALL OF IT IT'S GREAT!

Boy that was an overload of smiley faces eh. 

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »

What about Kokomo???
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 11:35:12 AM »

I would definitely include "Everything I Need" (Jeff Foskett/Brian duet version)

When/where was the Foskett/Brian version released?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »

I would definitely include "Everything I Need" (Jeff Foskett/Brian duet version)

When/where was the Foskett/Brian version released?

The easiest way to find it is on Jeff ' s album Stars In the Sand.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 09:22:38 AM »

Good name for a topic, huh?  It may be a little misleading… Smiley

So I have a friend who adores the BBs, but really only knows the old stuff.  Nothing past the 90s, really.  I know, old story.  So I’m trying to make the best damn mix of post 90s BBs evah!   I know, old story.  And I’m doing my best to base it off of Pet Sounds… that is… a melancholy song where a melancholy song goes, a peppy song where a peppy song goes, 13 tracks, 2 instrumentals, and a song about being on a boat right in the middle.  At first I was gonna try matching, say,  a Carl lead with another Carl lead, etc, but that proved impossible.  I’m also trying to pick songs that are at least a little bit artistically ambitious, and whenever goshdarn possible, a song that has that Pet Sounds feel, rare as those might be (like, say, You’re Still a Mystery)

Rules:  It's gotta be stuff post 90s.  I know, this being the BBs a lot of their "new" stuff had their genesis way back when, but still, if it was at least party recorded post 90s, and released post 90s, then it's ok. 

Rule 2: a little cheating is allowed, since there aren’t THAT MANY straight up Beach Boys songs from the 90s onward.  So I’m using one song from Summer in Paradise, if only to give Mike a presence in this mix.  I’m using Don’t Fight The Sea, which is technically a Beach Boys release,  and technically pretty recent.  I’m using Waves of Love, which isn’t a BBs song, but close enough.  I’m even borrowing Brian and Andy Paley’s In My Moondreams, because it’s a good enough analog for Pet Sounds (the song).  I know what you’re thinking, I’m separating Pacific Coast Highway from Summer’s Gone?!  And I’m putting In My Moondreams in between?!  You know, it kinda works.  A little levity before the final sad song.

So Al is very well represented here, as is Brian.  Carl also pops up a bunch.  Mike, not so much, but that’s his own damn fault  Smiley  Whatcha guys think?  Comments, opinions, angry words?  What would YOUR “Pet Sounds 2” mix be?  Am I forgetting any great, overlooked post-90s gems?  I’m still missing a song.  Suggestions? 

Here is my playlist, as well as how they relate to Pet Sounds... or how they totally don't relate.

1.   Waves of Love  //  Wouldn’t it be Nice – this is tough.  Impossible to find anything that opens with the same burst of sunshine as Wouldn’t it Be Nice.  I know some people hate Waves of Love, but it is kind of a burst of sunshine, so..

2.   You’re Still a Mystery // You Still Believe In My – artsy, contemplative, slow, Brian lead, decent match.

3.   Isn’t it Time // That’s Not Me - lots of Mike in both.

4.   SONG MISSING // Don’t Talk – hmmmm, any suggestions?

5.   Lahaina Aloha // I’m Waiting for the Day -

6.   Think About The Days // Let’s go away for a while – contemplative, slow, instrumental.  Well, Think About the Days isn’t instrumental, but it is wordless, so…  Best match I could

7.   Don’t Fight the Sea // Sloop John B. – big Al involvement, and everyone is on a boat and unhappy.  Perfect match! 

8.   Soul Searchin // God Only Knows – a big beautiful Carl song.  Decent match. 

9.   Shelter // I Know There’s An Answer -  these feel ever so slightly similar to me.

10.   From There to Back Again //  Here Today – I guess this totally doesn't match, but by now I’m committed to ending with the three “life suite” songs.  Altho I suppose I could combine From Here to Back Again with Pacific Coast, as they flow into each other, and add another song here?

11.   Pacific Coast Highway // I Just wasn’t Made For These Times – Brian being  sad, Brian being sad, decent match.

12.   In My Moondreams // Pet Sounds -  fun bouncy Hawaiin-ish instrumental, good peppy song before the sad ending.

Do your worst!

Just play the Sunflower album and skip "At My Window".

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »

Just play the Sunflower album and skip "At My Window".

It must be post 90's!
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 08:05:19 AM »

"Just play the Sunflower album and skip "At My Window"."

Oh no I loooooooove At My Window!    Grin

I'm gonna start another weird mix cd thread about this someday, but lemme just say, "At My Window" is the centerpiece of my Beach Boys VS Ween MIX CD!!!!  (any WEEN fans out there?)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx