gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:00:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My new EP  (Read 6358 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »

https://danscarpa.bandcamp.com/album/everything-sucks

I just recorded this EP over the past two days. I played all the instruments - guitar, bass, drums. There's screaming and loud guitars and all that stuff Beach Boys fans generally don't like, but I'd love it for people to check it out.

Here's a really mellow track off it with no screaming or loud guitar: https://danscarpa.bandcamp.com/track/my-ex-is-married

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 03:06:12 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:05:13 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »

You can't do that! Now you have to listen and tell me what you think!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »

Shall listen tonight, because I fell bad that happened to you haha... Tongue

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:48:10 AM »

So I listened.  I think tracks two and five, Before I Move Along and Nevada, Until Then, are both good songs.  I am not going to lie, I'd prefer the songs be a little tighter and in a somewhat different style, but I think the core of each of those songs is really good.  When I say a different style I am not talking Beach Boys, but less shouting/more singing, tighten up the missed notes/harmonies, and some of the drums.  FWIW, Nevada reminded me of the Violent Femmes.  Anyway, maybe the "loose" feel is what you were going for and it's what you like, to each his own.  For my money I'd like it to be tightened up some so the underlying melodies are more evident and so the missed notes/beats are not a distraction.  Regardless, I really liked those two underlying songs and found myself thinking of what I would do with them if I had written them (though I don't think my voice would be appropriate for either song, I've got a weak voice and your songs need a bit of power behind them).

BTW, I'm all for a little loose rock'n'roll, this was just too loose for me because rather than accentuate, as it often does in r'n'r, for me it distracted.

EoL
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:52:42 AM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 09:57:27 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I knew the stylistic decisions I made in recording this would turn a lot of people off, but I just wanted to put out some really raw rock and roll. If I didn't want to hit bum notes and drop beats, I would've gotten other people to play the instruments haha

Check out my other albums on my bandcamp page if you'd like, it's all home recorded but less screaming, mainly acoustic.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:59:14 AM by Aegir » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »

I listened, too. I'm more or less in agreement with EoL: it's a bit loose (meaning not on beat or pitch) for my taste. That said, I don't fucking matter. Do what you like.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 10:35:35 AM »

Haven't posted on this board in years.

The people in this thread telling me my album was too sloppy made me decide that the next one would be professionally recorded. Here's the album I put out last year, some of the same songs from the last one. I still play nearly all the instruments on it (drums are programmed).

https://scarpa.bandcamp.com/album/pictures-in-the-sky

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 05:16:32 AM »

Haven't posted on this board in years.

The people in this thread telling me my album was too sloppy made me decide that the next one would be professionally recorded. Here's the album I put out last year, some of the same songs from the last one. I still play nearly all the instruments on it (drums are programmed).

https://scarpa.bandcamp.com/album/pictures-in-the-sky

Hey Aegir. It has been a long time! I remember enjoying your "sloppy" first album. I have this new one bookmarked. ;=)

I should add I don't agree with your signature. At. All. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx